Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Stampede 4x4 CRAWLER

Seems most people want to go fast with their pede's and I've done that so I got to thinking about crawlers and it made me wonder if a pede could crawl. . . . . moderately.

So I bought a 55 turn motor and soldered the connectors off my dead Velinion to it and instaled a 13 pinion since that is what I had laying around

Initial test looks good but I think I need a 9 tooth pinion since the motor got a little hot (160F) after about 10 min of horsing around.

Also removed all the pre-load spacers to give it max articulation but I think I'll need to go back to the pede rear bumper instead of the slash one just for the crawl.

Let me know what you guy's think.

A couple pics and a short vid soon.

Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 04-09-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    Always good to try different things. Jang made a crawler with his shape shifter project. If you wanted to crawl even halfway decent, you need to lock the diffs and put some crawler wheels/ tires on it. Short course tires might work okay as well. A brushed motor is a good start for making a crawler.

RC Qualifier
    If I could fit revo spools in her I would but my intention was more the quick switch since I have several motor plates.

Then I could take out the 3s and the shock pre-load spacers along with the V-motor and drop in my crawl motor with pinion attached and my 7 cell NiMh.

Not the perfect crawler but fun none the less.

Maybe grease in the diffs instead of 50,000 wt.

RC Qualifier
    And now for a short test vid, more to come for sure.

RC Qualifier
    Good idea with the quick switch motor plates. Probably would be too much trouble to dig silly putty out of the diffs when you wanted to switch it up.

RC Qualifier
    Good stuff.
    How do you like the motor? You might as well invest in a separate motor plate so you don't have to switch them back and forth.

If you get a sensored brushless motor, you will still be able to get the low speed grunt. I had a Castle MMP and a Novak SC 5.5 in my slash 4x4. It crawled over rocks like a crawler and had more speed than the stock motor.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Tires are a great help those look to work great I love my trenchers.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you get a sensored brushless motor, you will still be able to get the low speed grunt. I had a Castle MMP and a Novak SC 5.5 in my slash 4x4. It crawled over rocks like a crawler and had more speed than the stock motor.
    That's all good but I am using the stock esc and a $20 motor, the rest of the parts were just sitting in my parts bin.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    Tires are a great help those look to work great I love my trenchers.
    Trenchers really are a "Do All" tire IMO

RC Qualifier
    Test Vid #2

-5* timing on the motor and 11/54 Pinion and spur.

Think I might lock out Both diffs and switch to a 2s LiPo and a 9 pinion.

RC Racer
    My approach to rocks on my pede is to hit them as fast as possible and just skip across them at full throttle.

In all seriousness, I tried some rock crawling on my stock vxl, with new trenchers and it worked 100% better then the stock tires. Locked diffs would definitely help, as its easy to get hung up with that wide stance.

RC Qualifier
    I had a integy 55t on 3s and the problem I found with putting crawler motors in the pede/slash 4x4's is the limitation to the 54t spur gear as the biggest you can get. You really need a spur in the 60-70's to get the full power (torque) out of a 55t motor. In theory you can mod the chassis and bulkhead to get a bigger spur but the spur will be exposed on the bottom and would have to fabricate a cover to protect it.
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 04-12-2012 at 08:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    I had a integy 55t on 3s and the problem I found with putting crawler motors in the pede/slash 4x4's is the limitation to the 54t spur gear as the biggest you can get. You really need a spur in the 60-70's to get the full power (torque) out of a 55t motor. In theory you can mod the chassis and bulkhead to get a bigger spur but the spur will be exposed on the bottom and would have to fabricate a cover to protect it.
    Funny you mention that because I've been trying to think of a way to get more gear reduction but hopefully the 9 tooth pinion will help and adjusting the timing on the motor helped for sure. And what the heck, it's all in good fun anyway.

So you don't think a 58 tooth spur from a Jato would fit?
    Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 04-12-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added info

RC Qualifier
    no, the 54t is the biggest spur you can fit without modding anything.

RC Champion
    Jconcepts also make a RocX tire that my friend has and it's pretty stellar for crawling. Very tall like the Badlands but has bigger tread like the Trenchers it has MUCH more cushion since it's a 2.2 and it a little narrower. Just another option for you. Good vid and yeah the 9t should do the trick with 2s and timing adjustments. . I LOVE your articulation of the suspension well done !
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Qualifier
    Well for $3 buck's a piece I'm gonna see if I can fit either a 56 or 58 without exposing the spur on the under side and removing too much from the chassis.

An 11/54 gives me 4.90909-1

9/54=6-1

9/56=6.22222-1

9/58=6.44444-1

RC Qualifier
    The difference between the 54 and the 58 is negligible. Not worth modding anything if it doesn't fit. Silly putty in the diffs is going to make the most difference for better crawling.

RC Racer
    Instead of a crawler. How about a Rock Racer? To compete against the Wraith.
    It's adult proof, not child proof !

RC Qualifier
    Independent suspension vehicle would have a tough time competing against solid axels on the rocks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Independent suspension vehicle would have a tough time competing against solid axels on the rocks.
    Never wanted my pede to be a comp truck, just a little more flexible and with a spare motor plate and pinion on the crawl motor it's as easy as swapping the motor and pulling the shock pre-loads out.

Still waiting on the 9 pinion and For 3 bucks I'm gonna try to fit a 56t with no mods.

RC Qualifier
    I know, I was responding to slopok's wraith comment.

RC Qualifier
    What do you guy's think a about 500K diff oil vs Silly Putty?

RC Qualifier
    silly putty is cheap and easy. its cheaper then diff fluid. 100k diff fluid is a pain to get out of the bottle. i can only imagine 500k fluid.

i'd go silly putty. i locked a diff permanently w/ jb weld and im gonna do another one so i can have two drop-in locked diffs.
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 04-15-2012 at 07:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Finally got my 9 pinion and 2s Lipo, still waiting on the 56 spur.

Switched back to the stock rear bumper for better approach angles.

Ripped it up at the track in the morning and crawled some rocks in the afternoon.

RC Qualifier
    Turns out a 56 will fit with no mods but the 58 was a no go.

RC Qualifier
    Still haven't changed the diff oil yet but it looks promising for what I want.

3S bashing in the morning and Crawling in the afternoon.

This is just a test of approach angles and I'm sure it would be better with locked diffs but like I said I want to bash this thing at the track so I'm still on the fence about the Silly Putty.

I've found that with 9/56 gears I get 2 hr run times out of my 2s 5000mah 20c with motor temps around 105f and esc temps at about 85-90f and that is with the lights on.

The 56 Jato spur does fit with no mods however I did need to remove 1 screw from the center drive cover to get it in.

RC Qualifier
    Test Crawl 3

9/56
    2s lipo
    Badlands

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    That looks great! Check out the shapeshifter thread over at URC. There may be some ideas in it to help you out 8)
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Getting better with each update. Though, this video does make me appreciate the ability of my Honcho.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    That looks great! Check out the shapeshifter thread over at URC.
    Seen all that stuff and Jang is great, but he did it with a $200 sensored brushless Novac system and silly putty.

I'm trying to keep my bash-ability and crawl on a budget so a $20 55t brushed motor and the stock esc with heavy grease in the diffs works ok for what it is.

RC Qualifier
    Getting better with each update. Though, this video does make me appreciate the ability of my Honcho.
    After trying all this I'm thinking about buying a honcho lol!

Guys this is the Traxxas forum and only Traxxas vehicles can be discussed. This thread has had to be cleaned up because the discussion had strayed away from Traxxas vehicles.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Bottom line is Traxxas does not make a "crawler" so as consumers we are left to spend our money elsewhere.

P.S. The summit is NOT a crawler. And for the record DAD I'm still talking about my Stampede!

Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    Bottom line is Traxxas does not make a "crawler" so as consumers we are left to spend our money elsewhere.

P.S. The summit is NOT a crawler. And for the record DAD I'm still talking about my Stampede![/IMG]
    Well said!

I have thought about doing something like this with my E-Maxx, I have a 55T motor in it now, but it would be sad to run it up against my XR10.

I really think Traxxas would do really good making a crawler or scaler; and right now the 1/18 crawler market is just begging for a new truck!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Well said!

I have thought about doing something like this with my E-Maxx, I have a 55T motor in it now, but it would be sad to run it up against my XR10.

I really think Traxxas would do really good making a crawler or scaler; and right now the 1/18 crawler market is just begging for a new truck!
    I'm with you there, I'm a big fan of traxxas and their products but it would seem that they could do well by expanding their product line up just a little. If they were to make a scaler or crawler I'd be alll over it like a fat kid on a cookie.

As I have said before, it is ironic that Traxxas does not have a crawler, its Magnum 272 transmission was the standard until the AX10 came out.

As for the Summit, cool truck, but here is as close as it gets being a crawler:

\

I always thought Traxxas wouldn't come out with a scaler or crawler because those are nich markets, but then Traxxas comes out with the Dragster... Now I am thinking anything is possible. I was looking at the Dragster's rear axel, with a little reconstruction, it could be used for a MOA crawler axel...

I am intestested in how far you can take your Crawler-Pede, are you planning on tweaking it more for crawling?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Always good to try different things. Jang made a crawler with his shape shifter project. If you wanted to crawl even halfway decent, you need to lock the diffs and put some crawler wheels/ tires on it. Short course tires might work okay as well. A brushed motor is a good start for making a crawler.
    Jang also made a slash 4x4 crawler.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Racer
    Nice work with this. The long run time is probably the best part for me. The way you have it setup you could take it for a hike and have plenty of juice to spare. You still need to do something about those diff's though. I'd say silly putty because you can take it out if you change your mind.

RC Racer
    try a summit bumper it looks cool and it isnt as far back as the wheelie bar and the slash bumper