RC Qualifier

Overheating problem

This seemed strange to me, thats why i would like to ask you guys a question.
    So i used to have a 2wd slash with titan 12 combo in there, i replaced it with vxl and kept the stock gearing 23/86. For some reason, running Nimh 4200mah 8.4v battery my motor gets hot (u wont hold it for more then 2 secs it will burn your skin) so i assume it is at about 160 degrees which is not what it should be. Why it seems strange is because i am running stock gearing, cars max speed is about 34-36 mph.
    What can be the problem ? ESC is not as hot, about 80 degrees.

I noticed that when i ran my car on tall grass, even thought tall grass for stock gearing and stock wheels shouldn't make my motor overheat !

RC Racer
    My motor runs at about 150. You go near 200 then its getting to hot.

RC Qualifier
    There is probably something wrong with your motor.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Racer
    Make sure your gear mesh isn't too tight and check for any bind in the drivetrain.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Or better yet.... gear down. Take that 23 off and go back to a 17-18.

RC Qualifier
    gear mesh is my guess

RC Qualifier
    try to run your truck on pavement for a while , or the same amount of time you`d run it in tall grass , see if it is the same temp from one to another. the combination of tall grass too tall of a gear may be your trouble . i think sr is on the money and ducati is pointing the way

RC Qualifier
    Today at hobby shop they said that it with the stock gearing, stock wheels, nimh 8.4v battery you motor will still overheat if run it on a 4inch grass. Gearing shouldn't be a problem because it is a stock gearing for slash and should not overheat (on paved road, and not grass)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    Today at hobby shop they said that it with the stock gearing, stock wheels, nimh 8.4v battery you motor will still overheat if run it on a 4inch grass. Gearing shouldn't be a problem because it is a stock gearing for slash and should not overheat (on paved road, and not grass)
    just because it was stock gearing does not mean its safe for everybody in every condition.

Gearing down will solve your problem. also get a cheap temp gun. Its a must for RCers. I thought my motor was too hot before I got one, and it was actually only 140*. so you may find that its not even that hot.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    a temp gun definitely helps. i got mine cheap on sale at an autozone. lol. and running on grass will get things hotter.

RC Champion
    a 2s 5000mah 30+c battery will get you just over 40mph and your motor will run a little cooler. the same lipo but a 3s will get you about 50+mph but make you as hot as an nimh battery probably. keep your gearing and go to a 2s 4000-5800mah 40-80c. they are really good and cheap batteries. only 20-50 bucks!

RC Qualifier
    With stock gearing 23/86 i never got over 40 with my 2s lipo. NEVER. i just bought 31/76 gears, maybe ill get to 42-45 mph with 2s lipo.

Another Question is: if i run 31/76 gearing, i know for sure that my motor will overheat, how about esc ? should i buy a fan for esc ?

I have a traxxas fan on my esc and it works pretty well and is reliable. A lot of guys have criticize the fan for not being reliable but that isn't my experience.

I would expect 23p gearing in grass would get the motor pretty hot running a whole 4200 nimh battery.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...