Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Paves Summit un-built to E-Revo

Im very new to the E-Revo forum. Had an ERBE a while ago and just didnt connect with it. Too much, too soon I guess. I don't recognize most of you members in this forum but I'm a regular in the 1/10 and 1/16 sections.

I have a summit that I love and only use the way a summit is intended. Trail truck/crawler. Never a basher. But recently I ran into a situation where all my other trucks were broken and the neighbours kid wanted to go out and bash (he has a stampede) so I took the summit out and bashed it around in high gear. I was so impressed with how fun it was I decided I wanted another one setup ONLY for bashing. No crawling. Essentially I wanted an E-Revo brushed that looked like a summit.

So I hoped on the inter web and started looking at prices and parts and stuff and decided that with my Gold member discount at tower applied it would be cheaper for me to buy an RTR summit and DOWN build it to an E-Revo rather than buy the E-Revo and add all the summit appearance parts I wanted. So, I bought agree summit with the TQI and LVD ESC and went to E-bay to buy the parts I needed to swap out.

The E-Revo parts Ill be installing are as follows:

-Bulkheads and diffs
    -Rockers and shocks/springs
    -Pushrods and Links

Total cost for this stuff was $135. Factoring in that ill be selling off the summit parts AND all the summit extras like the diff locking servos, wheels and tires, TQI radio and other odds and ends I think ill end up pretty much even. With the benefit being that ill have the summit body and bumpers, 2 speed transmission, summit drivesshafts and extended rear arms.

Then plan is to leave this truck brushed using an EVX 2 and 775. I don't need blistering speed, I was actually pretty happy with the speed of my summit while I was bashing and it was under geared. (mind you, it also has a dewalt 14.4 motor). I want this truck to be simple... I'm also in the process of building an ERBE simply because I found some deals that were too good to pass up. So THIS truck is just a mild basher.

Anyway, long first post I know. The truck and parts have all been ordered. Ill updated when things start to arrive and I can start to unbuild it and put it all back together.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Cool idea! My son pretty much did the same thing. He started out with a Summit and changed what he didn't like (or need) and pretty much ended up with an E-revo dressed like a Summit. I built my E-revo trail truck from Ebay parts to get the vehicle I wanted, but I already had the entire drivetrain. We both run the 775 geared 12/68 and it's great for just about anything short of serious rock crawling (we have single speed transmissions).

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im very new to the E-Revo forum. Had an ERBE a while ago and just didnt connect with it. Too much, too soon I guess. I don't recognize most of you members in this forum but I'm a regular in the 1/10 and 1/16 sections.

I have a summit that I love and only use the way a summit is intended. Trail truck/crawler. Never a basher. But recently I ran into a situation where all my other trucks were broken and the neighbours kid wanted to go out and bash (he has a stampede) so I took the summit out and bashed it around in high gear. I was so impressed with how fun it was I decided I wanted another one setup ONLY for bashing. No crawling. Essentially I wanted an E-Revo brushed that looked like a summit.

So I hoped on the inter web and started looking at prices and parts and stuff and decided that with my Gold member discount at tower applied it would be cheaper for me to buy an RTR summit and DOWN build it to an E-Revo rather than buy the E-Revo and add all the summit appearance parts I wanted. So, I bought agree summit with the TQI and LVD ESC and went to E-bay to buy the parts I needed to swap out.

The E-Revo parts Ill be installing are as follows:

-Bulkheads and diffs
    -Rockers and shocks/springs
    -Pushrods and Links

Total cost for this stuff was $135. Factoring in that ill be selling off the summit parts AND all the summit extras like the diff locking servos, wheels and tires, TQI radio and other odds and ends I think ill end up pretty much even. With the benefit being that ill have the summit body and bumpers, 2 speed transmission, summit drivesshafts and extended rear arms.

Then plan is to leave this truck brushed using an EVX 2 and 775. I don't need blistering speed, I was actually pretty happy with the speed of my summit while I was bashing and it was under geared. (mind you, it also has a dewalt 14.4 motor). I want this truck to be simple... I'm also in the process of building an ERBE simply because I found some deals that were too good to pass up. So THIS truck is just a mild basher.

Anyway, long first post I know. The truck and parts have all been ordered. Ill updated when things start to arrive and I can start to unbuild it and put it all back together.
    How much do you want for the TQI?

PM sent about TQI. Good to hear others have done this same project with good results. I think ill probably gear the 775 13 or 14/68... or somewhere around that anyway. I have my summit geared 14/68 (stock for a summit) and its just about perfect for what IT does. But in high gear its a tad slow. Not much, just a TINY bit. It also has a dewalt setup so it can pull taller gearing. If 14/68 in the E-Revo isnt enough ill maybe go a hair higher... I could go 13/62... I have that ratio on hand... that would be ever so slightly taller. we'll see. Still, good to know there are others who have resisted the urge to go brushless and find some satisfaction in a simple brushed setup.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    PM sent about TQI. Good to hear others have done this same project with good results. I think ill probably gear the 775 13 or 14/68... or somewhere around that anyway. I have my summit geared 14/68 (stock for a summit) and its just about perfect for what IT does. But in high gear its a tad slow. Not much, just a TINY bit. It also has a dewalt setup so it can pull taller gearing. If 14/68 in the E-Revo isnt enough ill maybe go a hair higher... I could go 13/62... I have that ratio on hand... that would be ever so slightly taller. we'll see. Still, good to know there are others who have resisted the urge to go brushless and find some satisfaction in a simple brushed setup.
    I ran 14/62 when I first built my truck with Proline Trenchers (originals) and had no heat issues even when doing some hill climbs.

Just picked up a set of HPI Super Mudders and Black BLAST wheels for this truck. Not cheap though. I can't believe how much more expensive stuff is for these larger trucks VS the 1/10 stampede and slash. hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Just picked up a set of HPI Super Mudders and Black BLAST wheels for this truck. Not cheap though. I can't believe how much more expensive stuff is for these larger trucks VS the 1/10 stampede and slash. hehe.
    I know what you mean. My daughter currently has a 2wd Stampede and wants a bigger 4wd. My wallet is cringing.

Ill have a spare E-Revo sitting around when all my parts come in if your interested. Just what you needed right!!!
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Well, the Ebay seller I bought the Super Mudders from just contacted me and sat they can't find the 2nd set of blast wheels so i had them cancel the order. Instead I bought a set of Proline Mashers and Maximizer 1/2 offset headlocks from tower. This was the setup I really wanted in the first. place. They are a little shorter tire, which is probably good. And they should be slightly wider offset. Common combo from what I see in the pics thread... should be a good fit on this truck.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

It'll be wide enough.

FWIW:
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Nice, thanks for that visual KSB... I think they were the best choice. I didnt want something too big but I wanted it to look monster-esque all the same. Overall they are smaller than the Trenchers but this truck is a basher so probably they are more appropriate.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Truck is sitting at customs in canada. Just needs to clear then its on its way to me. I still don't have the extra parts from E-bay, but I can at least start tearing it down and selling off the stuff I won't be using. YAY.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Sweet, good old customs, now the question is does it clear right away or sit there for a few days lol.

Good choice on that wheel/tire combo it seems to be a popular choice and a good all around tire. What color did you go with on the Maximizers?
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

Maximizers are grey/black. Just got the servo for this truck in the mail today. Hitec 7955. Should be more than enough for a single servo conversion.

I have ALOT of parts in the mail right now. I need to get some of them delivered and get things rolling.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Any pics of your un-build / build? Would like to see some if there is any. Hope everything goes well.

There will be. So far the only part i have for it is the servo. The summit itself should be in on tuesday, provided customs doesnt take a week to clear it as they often do.

Hopefully ill have the majority of the other parts early this week also. I just finished refurbishing my RC track and can't wait to get the E-Summit out for a run on it.

Ill make sure I post LOTS of pics as I go along with this one.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    That would be cool, thanks Pave.

Truck FINALLY cleared customs. It sat there for 5 days before they released it.

Hopefully, if I'm LUCKY, ill have it tomorrow. But more than likely it will be thursday.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Here we go, truck came in today and I didnt waste ANY time getting it stripped down. I had to re-build my GTP2E before hand to clear off the bench (parts were in the same shipment)... but then it was all summit de-construction time.

Lets start with the ever identical UNboxing pics:

After ordering the green I regretted my decision and wished id ordered blue. But after seeing the truck, the green is sweet. No more regrets. It just looks different in person than it does in pics:

This is the last time it will look like this under the hood:

Before I go any further, a quick comment on the TQI radio in the summit. First, the RX DOES have telemetry ports for temp and RPM. At first I thought you needed the additional telemetry add-on but you don't. Its right on the RX. The TX is TINY compared to most transmitters. It fits extremely well in your hand and is really really REALLY light. Im not crazy about the location of the diff lock switch, above the wheel... but its not a big issue. The wheel is also smaller than other traxxas TX's. Overall a nice tight package thats easy to hold and looks great in person. However, this one wont ever get used by me, its headed directly for the market place:

So there you go. Brand new summit, only a few minutes old out of the box. Lets tear it apart. First, I need to remove all the un-needed electronics:

Then get down even further and pull the front and rear clips completely off:

I hope this isnt a let down. Thats as far as I can really go this morning as I do eventually need to make an appearance at work and because I don't have my new ERBE diffs in yet. I have everything else I need... just no diffs. And without them, re-building would really be pointless.

So until they come in ill just be tinkering with the main chassis... getting the servo in, radio installed, new gearing installed, motor broken in with new 5.5mm castle bullet connectors etc etc. Then, the second the diffs come it ill put the rest of it back together. Ill get a few more pics as I go.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    and here I thought I was going to see a TON of mods and cool upgrades....I'm soooo disappointed already - Kidding.

before I shipped the summit to my brother, I noticed a few things you may want to research during your build.

1. The shifting servos have a disappointing return spring attached to them that have a tendency to stretch out eventually, not sure if you can find replacement springs or perhaps a different design.

2. The push rods for the diff locks are too small in diameter for the length they travel and they do flex, IMO, more than they should. I could be wrong here, maybe that adds some "give" so it doent damage the parts involved in that subsystem.

3. On this particular Summit, the reverse rod constantly got hung up in the rubber. Not sure if it was an angle issue or if the rubber was really tight. Nor do I know if anyone else has encountered this. But I noticed it on mine.

Nothing major and I know you love to tinker, so I wanted to give you a few points of interest to investige on the chassis while you're waiting for your other parts.

"Red"

RC Champion
    Keep going Pav dye that sucker!

I don't think ill be dying it. Rit dye is impossible to find around here and the no name brand stuff just isnt as good. Im just going to leave it grey.

Redsawcs, this truck isnt going to have any of those issues as the diff lockers are all coming out of it. Ive never had any issues with these parts on my other summit though, I'm really easy on that truck when shifting the trans or diffs though. Not easy on it when its rolling, but when its shifting Im really careful.

This truck has got a LONG way to go. But I just swapped the XErun sensored system I bought into my GTP2E so I've now got an MMM/XErun 2250kv system I COULD put in this truck if I want to down the road. For now its going to stay brushed. Ill know if I like it this way after one run. Then ill decide.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Still doesnt look very E-Revo ish... which means I did it right. But its finally done... other than a few minor upgrades I did buy and are on the way. The truck is not functional the way I wanted it to be. My diffs came in today and I wasted no time swapping them out and finishing everything else.

-I installed the new E-Revo diffs and bulkheads
    -Installed the new Progressive 2 (90) rockers and pushrods
    -Installed the Hitec HS7955 TG servo and GH single servo arm
    -Installed the new ERBE shocks and springs
    -Hooked all the electronics up and got the 2 speed functioning with my MT4 radio
    -Installed 5.5mm castle bullets on the motor and ESC

This really doesnt sound like much but it was a big job. To swap diffs the truck pretty much has to come %100 apart... not as hard as I had once thought it would be, but certainly not as easy as working on a stampede.

Still need to build a close off panel for where the 2nd servo used to be. It looks empty there now. I still have a set of RPM front arms, Tbone skids and a Hot Racing motor plate coming int the mail. The only other "upgrade" this truck has that you can't really see is a silver Hot Racing Rear bulkhead brace plate. I had it laying around from a build I did a few years ago so I threw it on... no big deal.

I don't have the tires/wheels I ordered for this truck yet so I stole the trenchers off my summit. They are bigger than I really want for this truck but will do for now. After looking at the truck all done I realized id missed one crucial step... lowering the body. So I cut the posts and dropped them and shaved the body where necessary. Heres the final result.

Thanks to some custom modding by KSB51rl I know I can drop the body even further... but ill wait to do that till I get my other wheels and tires.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 04-19-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Good look'n build Pave. That Green/Black/Sliver/White Summit body is just mean! I'm really digg'n it. Keep up the good work.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Got this thing all fired up and spent the day at my track with a few friends. One other guy just bought my other E-Revo from me and we had a blast ripping around with these things.

For the track were running on the brushed system is pretty darn close to perfect for speed. But a brushless system on 4S would be even better.

I bought a full set of badlands on 3.8 desperadoes. I was at my nearest LHS and they just happened to have 2 sets in stock... couldn't pass up the opportunity. They look silly on the truck with the summit body... but they look great with the ERBE body and they work amazing. So, I've decided to take this truck to the last level of E-Revo-ness and ordered a Slipstream body, ERBE body mounts, wing mount and wing as well as RPM bumpers for the E-Revo. Now it will look like an E-Revo as well.

I have a video my little neighbour took on my phone while we were ripping around. Its not great but I'm going to edit it a bit and post it up in a bit. overall, I think starting with a brushed system in this truck has given me an opportunity to get used to it without the ridiculous power of the MMM system. I think its helped me gain a better respect for the truck and I'm now not afraid to go with a mild 4S brushless system in a little while.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Heres a video of the "un-summit" at my track with my buddies stock 775 powered E-Revo. We had a blast and I'm very much enjoying the extra size of this truck VS my stampede.

We were both running 2X 5400mah 2S SPC lipos. My truck is the black one with the summit shell and the stupid looking 3.8 badlands. Its geared 15/56. The other E-Revo is running 3.8 trenchers and is geared 14/56. His was slightly faster. But mine handled better. ONce i get the Slipstream body on it will look right with these wheels/tires. For now it just looks odd.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

IDK, it hooks up and goes really well and flies betterer 'n a Summit, so the looks of the tires which perform that well would be low on my list of complaints.
    So the first thing you do is punt your buddy off the track? My kind of driver! (It's all accidental, of course.) Be that as it may, I wonder how far you'd be able to punt your P2de with one of those trucks.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

I can answer that specifically... a LONG way. We had 7 guys at that track earlier in the day. 2 E-Revos, 1 Emaxx and 4 pede's... needless to say the big trucks were muscling around the little ones pretty good and there were a few times a little pede would go flying through the air after connecting with an E-Revo. Still, no harm no foul. We each ran through at least 6 packs and only part broken was a rear E-Maxx skid and a rear E-Revo skid... not bad at all I must say.

Biggest reason for wanting to change up bodies... weight. After comparing the 2, the summit body is a brick VS the light weight E-Revo body.

And finally, in my defence, I have another video which shows clear disregard for my Sum-Revo's safety with a high speed mid air take out move AND, in the same lap, a mid jump head on collision as the E-Revo drove backwards around the track. So, I dare say were were about even. Hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Well... I took the backhoe over to the track again today and added a section with a a longer straight away, HUGE berm and a 2nd double jump... its pretty sweet. Only problem is the 775 system is maxed out like 1/4 of the way down the straight. I can see that a brushless system is going to be needed to really run this truck hard. I need to ditch the summit body and save some weight though.

For now I'm running bone stock ERBE suspension components. The front is great but the rear is soft. when the new body comes in and I get the brushless setup installed I think ill switch to stock summit springs and some 50wt oil with the P2 rockers. Ive read this is a good setup.

Ill be out running again on saturday and will get a video of the new track layout. Im wondering, what other guys are running for gearing with their 775 powered E-Revos. I may start a new thread about this to get an idea. I wonder if can up it to 16/56 or if thats going too far.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Hey Pav, what tires and wheels are in post number 23? Are they beadlocks?

RC Qualifier
    So I have figured out there Trenchers, but what kind of wheels are they?

There ya go... hehe.

I just took delivery of a couple EZrun 2700kv 4046 motors... I got them for a crazy deal and wasn't sure what I would do with them really. After seeing them and thinking about it, I see no reason they wouldn't work in an E-Revo. They are the same size as the castle 2650 motor and only 50kv more... I'm sure if I geared it low on 4S they would work in an E-Revo without heat issues. So I just bought 2 150amp ********* ESC's to use with them... one for my truck and one for my buddies truck. Total cost for the brushless setups will be $110 each since i got such a great deal on the motors. Ill post up how they work when the ESC's com in... in like, a year probably. Hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Heres some pics from today at the track. Made some changes, added a longer straight with a tiny double in the middle, huge berm, a double/double section... its pretty sweet.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Not too many views on this thread but ill keep updating anyway. Heres another video I got yesterday. Track layout change works perfect for the brushed trucks.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice track setup man!! I was finally able to view them all. Awesome bashing area. Totally reafirms what i said in the Stampede Forum.

Yay company lets us stream YouTube at work. Lets see how long this lasts.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Pav, that's one awesome truck!
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    Not too many views on this thread but ill keep updating anyway.
    Keep updating, I'm actually subscribed to this thread!

RC Qualifier
    This is my next project, now to find a way to finance it! I love my EMBE, but I think this would be a better track vehicle. Keep the updates coming.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

It's nice to know people are actually watching this thread. Hehe. Im in myrtle beach on holidays right now... But I've got a pile of parts arriving at home while I'm gone and a few arriving here to take home with me. I'll get a good up date when I get back next week and some more video of it at the track. By that time it will pretty much be a complete ERBE with summit driveshafts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ