Thread: Nicd or nimh?

RC Competitor

Nicd or nimh?

What's better for an RC Car, Nicd or nimh?

Pede XL5 Old Model

nimh over nicd, as nicd i think doesnt provide as much punch needed for rc grade motors even brushed. but i would go for lipo you can even use it with the new xl-5 brushed esc. lipo in most cases is cheaper than nimh
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Yea. I have the old xl5 without the lipo cutoff so that's why I can't get lipo right now.

Pede XL5 Old Model

you can get a lipo cutoff modular/switch for it and be able to run lipo, they dont cost that much and besides it makes the difference in price anyways still buying the LVC unit and lipos and charger if you dont have one already. everything you need should be able to stay under 100. get something like the cheapest traxxas lipo for the 1/10th or get a spc lipo for around 29+shipping either traxxas or spc. and then get a charger like ac6 and then the unit maybe ebay or cheapest place you can find as a hobby shop. then your set. lvc unit should be about 15 or so.

traxxas lipos are backed by an excellent warranty just not from puffing i heard but dont know how true that is though just a complaint i heard about.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    i run nimh, nicad is very cheap but lower amp hour ratings-MAH. when a nicad is run the discarge voltage gradually decreases untill the battery is discharged. on a graph this would look like a side of a mountain. when nimhs dischage they maintain a more consistant voltage and then drop off abruptly when the pack is discharged. on a graph this would be much flatter allowing more power through out the run. lipo batterys are a new technology and you would have to update all of your stuff just to run and that can add up fast. thats fine if you need just a little more at the track. cost is the #1 reason why i haven't switched to lipos $80-120 for a lipo or $20-45 for a nimh do the math and decide for your self.
    impeach obama!

RC Qualifier
    If your planing on LIpo buy a Low Voltage Buzzer, just plug it in your LIpo port, then if the battery hits the Low Votage, it will have a loud buzz. $3.50 / pr