RC Competitor

Question throttle trim not workin??

hey guys i changed my velieon motor to a 2400mmp sct. but now the throttle trim on the controler dont work yet the steerin trim is still workin ok ? any ideas? i done all the programing steps that came with the new motor , dont get me wrong the car is runnin ok wheeling and all that jazz, but there is play in the trigger before motor kicks in so need the throttle trim to be workin?? help please

RC Qualifier
    the little switch on the control , is it set 50/50 ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You need to calibrate the ESC to your radio. Is it the velineon?

1. Connect a fully charged battery
    pack to the VXL-3s.
    2. Turn on the transmitter (with the
    throttle at neutral).
    3. Press and hold the EZ-Set
    button (A). The LED will first
    turn green and then red.
    Release the EZ-Set button.
    4. When the LED blinks RED
    ONCE. Pull the throttle trigger
    to the full throttle position and
    hold it there (B).
    5. When the LED blinks RED
    TWICE. Push the throttle trigger to
    the full reverse and hold it there (C).
    6. When the LED blinks GREEN ONCE,
    programming is complete. The LED will then shine green
    or red (depending on low-voltage detection setting)
    indicating the VXL-3s is on and at neutral (D).

RC Competitor

Tried both ways 50/50 and 70/30

I've calibrated the controller to the receiver and plus it was always calibrated from factory, and no it's not the velieion motor, it's a 2400 mmp esc sct combo .. The truck runs ok so the controller is workin just not the steering trim knob, it did work when the old velieion motor was in the truck but now it don't ? Help

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenfingers View Post
    I've calibrated the controller to the receiver and plus it was always calibrated from factory, and no it's not the velieion motor, it's a 2400 mmp esc sct combo .. The truck runs ok so the controller is workin just not the steering trim knob, it did work when the old velieion motor was in the truck but now it don't ? Help
    Just to make sure, are you running the VXL esc? And is your radio the Traxxas 2.4ghz?

RC Competitor
    no im not runnin the vxl.. i am running mamba max pro esc and 2400 castle motor combo,, but im sill using the traxxas 2.4ghz controler

I'm not sure exactly why the trim isn't working, but if the esc is calibrated correctly, there is no need to use the throttle trim. If you re-calibrate it and it still has a dead spot, you need to adjust the ATV on your radio, not the trim.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This thread is making less and less sense....

I've calibrated the controller to the receiver and plus it was always calibrated from factory,
    and no it's not the velieion motor, it's a 2400 mmp esc sct combo ..
    Ummm yea thats incorrect. The factory cannot calibrate the ESC to your radio.... You're using an aftermarket ESC with a Traxxas radio, that requires that you yourself do the calibration.

Unless you're actually using the velineon ESC.... I'm still not sure what you're using for the speed controller. Later you say its a Castle ESC.... which uses a different method to calibrate, but calibration is still required.

The truck runs ok so the controller is workin just not the steering trim knob, it did work when the old velieion motor was in the truck but now it don't ? Help
    Wait what? Are you talking steering trim now? If so, that really has nothing to do with the ESC....

And if you're actually talking throttle trim, again that doesn't make sense, as throttle trim really isn't used on ESC. You calibrate.... and then don't touch the trim.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post

Ummm yea thats incorrect. The factory cannot calibrate the ESC to your radio.... You're using an aftermarket ESC with a Traxxas radio, that requires that you yourself do the calibration.

Unless you're actually using the velineon ESC.... I'm still not sure what you're using for the speed controller. Later you say its a Castle ESC.... which uses a different method to calibrate, but calibration is still required.

Wait what? Are you talking steering trim now? If so, that really has nothing to do with the ESC....

And if you're actually talking throttle trim, again that doesn't make sense, as throttle trim really isn't used on ESC. You calibrate.... and then don't touch the trim.

sorry about the confusion.. i smoke too much.. its the throttle trim on the controler that is not workin. and the motor combo i am using is the castle mmp sct 2400, i did have the velieion but burnt it out, so when i installed the new motor i calibrated my controler with the new esc and followed all instructions given but for some reason the throttle trim dont work no more, yet it worked fine when i was using the veleion, ? sorry about the confusion, i thought u was askin if my controller was linked to reciver>> oops.. and while we are on the subject i noticed that the throttle trim on my e revo dont work either and that is stock?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post

sorry about the confusion.. i smoke too much.. its the throttle trim on the controler that is not workin. and the motor combo i am using is the castle mmp sct 2400, i did have the velieion but burnt it out, so when i installed the new motor i calibrated my controler with the new esc and followed all instructions given but for some reason the throttle trim dont work no more, yet it worked fine when i was using the veleion, ? sorry about the confusion, i thought u was askin if my controller was linked to reciver>> oops.. and while we are on the subject i noticed that the throttle trim on my e revo dont work either and that is stock?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok, so you're sure we're talking throttle trim....

Which is still curious. Lets take a step back. What are you trying to acheive with the throttle trim? Because typically throttle trim isn't adjusted at all.

RC Qualifier
    I dont understand why u need to touch a throttle trim ... i mean seriously. Make sure that the controller works fine, try it on another truck, if it doesnt work with velineon and VXL esc, then u need a new controller, if it does, then there is something wrong with ESC, go on their forum and ask a question there, i personally never dealt with those ESCs because i like traxxas so much that mamba shmamba and all different kinds of esc dont facinate me alot.

If you're using the Traxxas 2.4 radio, you need to go into the programming mode to access the throttle trim. It's not like the older TQ radios where you can just adjust it with the knob. The trim is still adjusted with the knob, but you must enter the programming options and choose the "throttle trim" setting. But you still shouldn't need to adjust the trim if the esc is calibrated correctly.