RC Qualifier

Best way to dye parts???

Hey guys,
    The title says it all what is the best way to dye parts aka my chassis??
    I want to dye it black and i was thinkin rit dye but i dont know if there is an easier way??
    Let me know your expirences with dyeing parts please!!!
    Thanks,
    Slashbasher24
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

RC Racer
    Rit dye is the easest way . I dyed wheels red with it , so easy . Pick up a foil disposable tray that is big enough for the chassis . The way I did was boil a kettle of water pour it in the tray mix the dye in (1/2-2/3 a pack of powder ) and soak the chassis for 20-30 min and rinse and dry . Make sure the chassis is clean before you dye .

RC Champion
    Dyeing is easy. use the rit dye it works good.
    Get a good pot that you don't mind wrecking cause it will get full of dye. Also, this stuff stains anything it touches so do it outside if you can.
    Get ebough water in the pot to cover up all the parts and add 1 pack of dye if you get the powder, 1/2 bottle if you get the liquid.
    bring to LIGHT boil....just simmering. no more.
    Check on parts frequently to see how the color is coming. When they are the color you want, you are done jus take them out and rinse and dry. Maybe put strings or something on the parts so you can pull them out of the pot easily to check on them.
    Thats all there is to it. If you have more questions pm me.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansei View Post
    Rit dye is the easest way . I dyed wheels red with it , so easy . Pick up a foil disposable tray that is big enough for the chassis . The way I did was boil a kettle of water pour it in the tray mix the dye in (1/2-2/3 a pack of powder ) and soak the chassis for 20-30 min and rinse and dry . Make sure the chassis is clean before you dye .

It doesn't work as good if the water isn't IN the pot simmering. However, it is possible to melt weaker parts so be careful

RC Qualifier
    I used a stew pot I bought at the local thrift store (goodwill), Rit dye, and some cut up coat hangers.
    Backslash Or Bust!

RC Qualifier
    For the amount of mess time and money in the dye wouldn't it be easier to just pick up a black chassis on ebay.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by geeves View Post
    For the amount of mess time and money in the dye wouldn't it be easier to just pick up a black chassis on ebay.
    Not from my point of view. The dye is less than $3, and assuming you have to buy a disposable pan to do it in, that's another $1. It doesn't really create a mess if you're even remotely careful. It takes less than an hour of work including taking everything off your chassis and putting it back on (excluding the soak time.) So for $4 and an hour of time, you've got a black chassis. I don't know exactly how much one runs on Ebay, but probably around $15, and you have to wait for it to come in the mail.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Qualifier
    Locally, a pack of the RIT powder is $1.38. For that, I can dye all the parts for the entire truck, including shock bodies, bulkhead, gearbox, etc, etc. That's a whole lot cheaper than buying a black chassis. Besides, what if I want orange? Or purple?

RC Qualifier
    I used orange on my backslash
    Backslash Or Bust!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    It doesn't work as good if the water isn't IN the pot simmering. However, it is possible to melt weaker parts so be careful
    works just fine - the water has to be boiling to dissolve the dye - near boiling/hot water is enough to dye but may add 5-10 minutes to the soak time - and can be easily done @ the work bench not the stovetop(my wife would freak)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks guys for all the help I am going to disassemble my complete truck and dye all the gray nylon composite stuff black. But I have one question it seems you guys are talking about the powder for of the dye but my dad has recommended the liquid for the parts. Which is the best for making all my parts black???
    Thanks again for all the help,
    Slashbasher24
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

RC Racer
    Don't think it matters - I just used the powder . Heard of equal success with liquid Rit. I can tell you that the Traxxas all star wheels will take the dye without stripping them - dyed a set gold chrome the other day using "sunset orange " Rit

RC Qualifier
    I've used both and both work fine. Liquid is better if you aren't going to be using it all and want to save the extra (that powder can cause a mess if you try to keep an open pack around.) Otherwise, either one will work for you. Kansei, I've got rpm chrome bumpers and chrome revolver wheels coming for my Slash 4x4 that I plan on dying with kelly green for my Monster Energy theme.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Qualifier
    hey, i was thinking about dyeing my chassis. does it have to be completely clean, or is it okay if it has a few stickers on it?

RC Racer
    Clean - I would think the dye wont take where the stickers are . Also I have tried other brands of permanent dyes and they never worked so stick with the Rit