RC poster

My revo doesn't touch the ground!!

when i press down the truck to the floor, the skid plate doesn't touch the ground, it stops when it is a few millimeters. i have not changed anything on the truck since i bought it. it can touch it by a litte bit of force, but is that normal?

RC Racer
    um isn't that a god thing you wouldn't want to bottom out

Bottoming out is a good thing as the skid plates will absorb some of the shock too. If you don't get it to bottom out all the force is placed on the shock shafts which will bend.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    A few millimeters of clearance won't matter. You want it to bottom out on high landings.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Bottoming out is a good thing as the skid plates will absorb some of the shock too. If you don't get it to bottom out all the force is placed on the shock shafts which will bend.
    I learned that the hard way...Hitting big jumps, and afterwards I looked and my shock shafts were bent BAD and the preload clips had jumped the threads...
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Check and see what is bottoming out before the chassis, usually it is the springs fully compressing from the preload. If your preload collars are too high to keep a high ride height, then lower it, the truck really only needs to sit with the shafts level or a hair bit above level, if it is bottoming on the blue bump stops then the springs are OK, but you might have the wrong rocker/link setup or something else is binding. If it has a decent ride height, but still fully compresses the springs, then use the next step stiffer springs, and it should work. Light springs handle nice, and give good rebound, but they have more coils than stiff springs, and need more preload to sit right, so they tend to bottom easier.
    As others have said you want your skids to bottom so they take the shock of big jumps, scrub a little speed, and stabilize the truck, bottoming on shocks will damage them, and they cost a lot more than a set of skids. If you are getting a lot of bottoming and heavily scuffing or breaking skids, then your shock settings need to be adressed, although the skids do wear normally, and can wear through over time, a set of Tekno skidpads help keep the rear skid from wearing through, and sending the pins onto the track, just replace them when they wear down, cheaper and easier than replacing the rear skid.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 04-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.