Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just got my slayer pro 4x4 today

so i just got my slayer pro 4x4 today used from a member on here. $200 shipped with no radio equipment. i went to put in an extra older a.m. system i had but its physically to big to fit in. so im going to pull my traxxas link out of my racemaxx for a while to put in there. i might go get a nother receiver tomorrow but we will see.

eventually im going to be converting it to electric after i slowly aquire all my parts i need. and from talking to my buddy at lhs today im gonna go with a twin velineon vxl 550 brushless system so i can be completely waterproof.

i was gonna just get 2 2075 servos....... or is the 2075 to weak to turn these tires efficiently? i know there to weak on a t-maxx but the wheels are much larger.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

im not sure you can dual can on the nitro transmission... might be something to confirm. unless you are going crazy custom on it, it might not be possible.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    2075 servo wont have no problem turning that wheels. I have single 2075 servo on my revo right now and turns fine.

yeah it will probly just be a single for the steering and a 2075 for throttle/brake as well. if i find it to be lacking then i will go with a duel 2075 for the steering.

cameron, im not gonna be using the nitro transmission. i decided im going to get the e-revo chassis, trans, and what not for this so i dont have to worry about modding my trans and having a higher center of gravity with a teckno conversion and all.

which i wouldnt have the money for that conversion for a while anyway so go ahead and continue to try and sell it man. i do appritiate that you were going to hold it for me though.

but here it is.

Drag It!

i installed my hump pack i had laying around and charged it. i went to put in my traxxas link from my racemaxx but theres like a metal conector on the end of it so it wont fit through the hole in the receiver box. but all the servos worked great it seemed. ill probly be going to pick up another receiver tomorrow.

motor looks great, no signs of damage at all.

heres after cleaning it up a bit

and heres how it compares to my 4907 racemaxx and my 4910 basher maxx. all 3 have 3.3 engines

Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Hey your maxxs look sweet, I installed a dual 2075 servo system in my slayer pro, it's probably a little over kill but I have never had a problem.

RC Racer
    Wanna sell anything you won't be using for your conversion?

im probly just gonna be keeping it all in case i ever want to switch back to be honest. and the conversion will not be happening for a while probly.

i got me another traxxas link receiver today along with a new antana tube to make it longer. it was less than 2" probly before.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by lachrox568 View Post
    Hey your maxxs look sweet, I installed a dual 2075 servo system in my slayer pro, it's probably a little over kill but I have never had a problem.
    thanks man, the white and blue maxx has way to much money into it lol but i enjoy it. the other maxx just got a crowd pleaser body for it but i gotta switch the exhaust out and paint the body before it goes on.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I did the duel servo on mine also. But after a few runs i went back to one servo. I have a BluBird sevo i got for like 15 shipped and works fine. So 1 2075 will work nice for it. Just seemed to kill my battery to fast with the duel servo set up. I also just installed a THS Racing pipe and so far i really like it. Gives it more bottom end which will help on the track. Dont need top end when racing on a short course..

very true, low end is where its at. i know on my 3.3 maxx i didnt change the pipe, but i did gear down for more torque and it made a world of diffrence. theres no tracks near me back home and since im almost done with college its gonna mostly be a basher. might convert to on road setup down the road or something, but ill be leaving the gearing alone for the most part and probly the pipe to since i will be going electric eventually.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    It does look better cleaned up doesn't it? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fast_til_crash View Post
    It does look better cleaned up doesn't it? :-)

it sure does man, thanks for the sale. im very pleased!

ahhh, so i got a chance to run it today. this thing runs like a champ! super strong, couldnt be happier! my battery pack is apperently pretty worn down. i didnt think it should have charged as fast as it did the other day. so that being said i might get a new one. it died when i just about had the hsn where i wanted it. it was to lean and burnt out a plug (dont know how old the plug was) so popped in a new one gave it some more fuel. crazy smoke trails and my temp was just barely 220 and thats when battery died. so for now im gonna recharge it again. and take away a little fuel to get it up more around 240. then work on tuning low speed a little better and maybe a hair more idle speed.

overall though im extremely happy with my purchase only other issue i had was the handling. much movement of my steering wheel at higher speeds and i was cartwheeling lol. so i loosened up my preload all the way down im thinking maybe a little heavier shock oil and sway bar in the future? input anyone? the front springs are red with double white bars on them? and rear are red with double yellow bars? what does that mean? im assuming stiffness but not sure.

any input on setup or anything would be great.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    As its been said a million times already, the sway bars are a must have. Ive noticed also that my center diff improved handling a lot

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CHADILLAC View Post
    As its been said a million times already, the sway bars are a must have. Ive noticed also that my center diff improved handling a lot
    Chad, you've mentioned this in several threads now, and I asked you once about it, but maybe you missed it... What do you mean by "Center Diff"???
    2 TMaxx 3.3/TMaxx 2.5R/Slayer Pro 3.3

RC Racer
    Oh sorry man LOL. The stock transmission has a locked center output. (where the driveshafts come out of the trans) meaning it transfers power equally to the front and rear differentials. It can be replaced with a differential that allows slip so more power is transmitted to the front or rear depending on the conditions

RC Competitor
    And where does a man go about getting one?
    Does Traxxas offer one?
    2 TMaxx 3.3/TMaxx 2.5R/Slayer Pro 3.3

RC Racer
    Yes it is a traxxas part

RC Qualifier
    Just took my truck out today to the track for the first time and was very happy with it. I have sway bars, center diff, rear brakes, and running pro line bow tie 1/8 buggy wheels.. So after running for a few hours my servo went out so i was done for the day and of course i left my spare at home.. My son also was running his which only has sway bars. I took his truck for a few laps to compare our trucks and see if my upgrades are worth it. His truck was all over the place. I found it hard to come out of turns and over all harder to drive. So if any one plans on doing a lil racing, get the center diff and rear brake. Its like night and day..

ok, i will keep that in mind, so do i need a whole transmission for the rear brake then? because thats how im understanding it right now.....

on a side note i tried taking mine out to finish tuning it and everything but i couldnt get it to start up again? im not sure what was wrong it got to the point where it sounded like it was trying but just woulnt......... i did notice at times that the glow plug light wasnt as bright as motor light on my wand but i didnt try switching out the plug....... needles to say after trying to start it until my ez start wand was dead i was a little mad so i just dumped the fuel in the tank out from running the day before did my aro procedures and left it at home. didnt even bother taking it back to college with me, and i was excited about how well it was running when my hump pack died to.......

this weekend ill be home again so ill probly give it another go, i did notice that the blue wire is nowhere near as tight on the glow plug as it was on the plug that came with it..........

ill pull the plug and put my ignitor to it to test it and if that works i guess ill just use my ignitor on it.
    Drag It!

do i need a whole transmission for the rear brake then?
    as long as the back of your tranny has the mounting ready, you dont need to.

ok ill have to check and see if it does when i get home, i mean its the new slayer pro 4x4 if that means it does or not i dont know.
    Drag It!

also does the rear brake work in conjunction with the normal one or replace it all together?
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    You do have a mounting spot on the rear of your tranny for the brake kit and it works in conjunction with the stock brake. Comes with an additional rod that connects to the throttle brake servo you use both and can adjust brake bias

oh ok got ya.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Did you get it running again?

havent tried yet been to busy. the glow plug i put in it i found out wasnt the best on traxxas engines. it just happend to be right there when the one that came in it went out. im sure thats all it is. i have three days left of college so ill probly try then. but i do have some good glow plugs to put in it as well.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    I had trouble with starting as well,turns out the piston and sleeve were pretty worn

mine didnt look to bad though that the thing. and it was running prime previously. i think its just the glow plug to be honest. the one i put in wouldnt work at all on my 3.3 maxx so thats what my guess is. i have a good one to try just not today. and if worse comes to worst i plan on converting it to electric anyway so not to worried about it honestly.
    Drag It!

alright graves, it takes 2 to convince me to convert my revo into slayer like yours. starting now, i'm in a hunt for parts on ebay. if your having fun with yours then I have to see it for myself. lol

dude i love mine, needs a few things to help it out more for handling and suspension but overall i love it
    Drag It!

ok well i finally had the time and feel better from being sick to look at my slayer pro today. was about to go outside and try and start it but what do you know...... as soon as i walk out the door it starts raining

but on a good note fast im positive it was the glow plug. i compared it to one i know is right and the one i put in it was like 1/8" to short. so yeah the guy who told me those plugs would work in a 3.3 screwed me out of $15 as i bought 3 of them oh well you live and you learn. it now has a c3 plug in it which has worked out great in my racemaxx. but yeah.......... stupid rain
    Drag It!

well working on the slayer pro some. marked my preload nuts with a white paint marker to count my turns. put 3 turns on the front, and 6 turns on the rear. also put 50wt oil in both the front and rear. so with having the new plug hope its nice out tomorrow so i can test it
    Drag It!

slayers all back together. with the heavier oil i might have to reduce the preload some. its supposed to be halfway decent today so hopefully ill be able to get my run time finally.
    Drag It!

Well my slayer is still being retarded and won't start. Of just cranks over then acts flooded so I pull the plug and flip it over to crank but no fuel. So when I get home I'm tearing the pos apart! Any ideas what to look for?
    Drag It!

so i completely tore apart the motor short of actually pulling the crank and piston out.

and i didnt find a thing that should have kept it from running perfect.........

completely disasembled and cleaned out the entire carb. needles all looked good and everything.

pulled off the ez start and the backplate.... conrod looked perfect along with the bottom of the piston skirt.

pulled off the head and the top of piston and the sleeve walls all looked brand new.

then pulled apart the ez start and the only thing that looked remotely like it could have been keeping it from running was that the owb was cocked to the side a little inside of the plastic gear. doesnt look like it was spinning all the way around though. so got that free and it was a little oily. so i cleaned that off and put it all back together.

so the only thing i can think of that kept it from running was that owb deal, or the ez start wiring itself went bad and was not lighting the plug. i know the wand is good because it starts my t-maxx.

any more ideas anyone?
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    I would call Traxxas 1-888-872-9927 and ask them about EZ start problem,and as for glow plugs I would try McCoy mc-59 I use them in my Slayer PRO and my truck has never ran better.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    so i completely tore apart the motor short of actually pulling the crank and piston out.

and i didnt find a thing that should have kept it from running perfect.........

completely disasembled and cleaned out the entire carb. needles all looked good and everything.

pulled off the ez start and the backplate.... conrod looked perfect along with the bottom of the piston skirt.

pulled off the head and the top of piston and the sleeve walls all looked brand new.

then pulled apart the ez start and the only thing that looked remotely like it could have been keeping it from running was that the owb was cocked to the side a little inside of the plastic gear. doesnt look like it was spinning all the way around though. so got that free and it was a little oily. so i cleaned that off and put it all back together.

so the only thing i can think of that kept it from running was that owb deal, or the ez start wiring itself went bad and was not lighting the plug. i know the wand is good because it starts my t-maxx.

any more ideas anyone?
    Is it even getting fuel? Can you see the fuel going into the carb? I know my slayer wouldnt prime cause of an air leak and therefore it wouldnt start. Try tightening your hsn. BE GENTILE! Ive stripped many carbs out lol. If its priming try this. Use an igniter for the glow plug and when your priming give it full throttle so the fuel goes right into the engine! It works amazing!
    1/16 summit vxl/Slayer3.3/T-maxx2.5/HPI savage.28

it shouldnt have an air leak. to prime i plugged the exhaust and hit it with the ez start till the fuel hit the carb. i havent tried the glow plug igniter yet vs. just the blue wire as i didnt think of it for some reason but next nice day that is the plan.
    Drag It!