RC Enthusiast

lipos and charger

i am going to be ordering a lipo and charger soon. i have been looking into what lipo to get. looks like i want at least 5000 mah, 7.4v not sure what "c" rating i need or how many cells. at this time i have the stock brushed slash with the low voltage esc. i want to get a lipo that will work if i decide to go brushless. looks like some lipo combos dont work well with certain batteries? is there such a batter that can be used with the setup i have now and with a brushless setup in the future? also with the charger there seems to be a bunch of different options at $50 or less. i am not sure i need one that will charge more than one battery at a time? do these batts hold a charge for a few days after they are charged?

RC Enthusiast
    also how long does it take to charge a lipo? do they have to be discharged between each use? i see it is good to put them to storage voltage if they are not going to be used for a while.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok
    Brushed = 7.4v lipo NO HIGHER
    No Low voltage detection= buy one eBay couple of bucks
    Charger = >$100
    C rating = traxxas batteries are 25c so minimum 25c
    Charge time = depending how u charge

Do some research on lowest voltage, charging, storage and the brand of battery you buy,
    There are different grades of batteries so choose wisely. I haven't had an issue but my mate has killed 3
    But we are bashers
    Hope this helps

RC poster
    I have a Thunder AC6 charger and it's been great. No complaints with it and for the price it's hard to beat.

It takes about 50 minutes to charge up my 5000mah 2s Lipo at 5.0 amps.
    I like my venom pro charger but the charge rate of 5.0 is now considered a little slow compared with newer chargers.
    No lipos do not have to be discharged after each use. Just charge em up when your done running and have cooled off.
    Yes they hold a charge for a while.
    Don't get one less than 5,000mah so you'll have a longer run time.
    I like SPC and Venom brand batteries.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Forgot to mention: Discharging a Lipo all the way down (like an nimh) will permanently damage it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Forgot to mention: Discharging a Lipo all the way down (like an nimh) will permanently damage it.
    It will damage Nimh also.

RC Champion
    you can run nimh all the way down, just not lipos.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, running Nimh down too low damages them. Nimh is at least at sensitive to over-discharging as is LiPo.

RC Racer
    They tell you right in the traxxas manual that you can run the NIMH batteries right down.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And that part of the manual is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    And that part of the manual is wrong.
    I just read the manual and it did say to run nickel batteries down until the car won't move anymore before storing. That's the first time I've ever heard an actual manufacturer state something like that and I agree with Jakey that it is completely wrong.

Now I'm starting to see why people are always saying that nimh packs run good for a couple minutes and then start to lose power. I bet they would have even worse things to say about lipos if they treated them in the same manner.

Gotta love the internet!

RC Racer
    Well me being someone that didnt do my research before using my NIMH batteries for my slash I have always run them down because I thought that was the way to avoid the memory effect on them. They still work ok but now I will make sure not to run them right down to nothing.

RC Racer
    I did my research before going to lipo and treat those things GREAT so I know I wont have any problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewSlashOwner View Post
    Well me being someone that didnt do my research before using my NIMH batteries for my slash I have always run them down because I thought that was the way to avoid the memory effect on them. They still work ok but now I will make sure not to run them right down to nothing.
    My comment was nothing personal towards you or anybody else. It just amazes me at some of the bad info out there. Internet forums can be great places for advice, but they can also lead you down the wrong path too often.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewSlashOwner View Post
    Your Nimh will never have an issue with memory. That is a left over term from the days when NASA utilized NiCad battery packs in satellites.

I thought NASA was using nuclear batteries in their satellites?