RC poster

What truck should i buy?

Hi everyone, i would like to ask the owners of the following cars to give me some pointers with which one is most suited to me.

I am looking at the Slash 4wd 1/16 brushless, Slash 1/10 2wd, e-revo 1/16 brussless, rustler.

I will be using it on short grass, grass fields, park, woodland (not too bumpy), skate park, track and i want to do some huge jumps with out having to worry about it braking.

I own a HPI trophy 3.5 and it is good, but it brakes alot so i am starting to think i should get a traxxas because they r very strong. Should i sell it for a traxxas? Please do not give me suggestions of anything over 300. Please give me some pointers.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you're thinking grass, I'd stay away from the mini models.

So that leaves you with Rustler vs Slash.

The Rustler has more potential performance in it.... but the Slash has a lot better looks. (to me at least).

Keep in mind you're asking in the Slash forum, so I'm a bit biased, but I think the Slash 2wd is just about the best entry level car you can buy.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with ducati, either the Slash or the Rustler since the 1/16th cars don't have as much ground clearance for grass. Other than that, make sure you get the brushless edition of whichever you buy. You won't regret that.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Champion
    Get the rusty. It is more balanced...it won't flip as much. It will do great jumps without breaking they are very tough.
    The rustler will also go through a good amount of grass without getting too bogged down. I use mine in the woods and go over stuff, but the front skids a lot when you are trying to turn going up hill very slow....so maybe ad a little bit of weight to the fron for hillclimbs and thick woods.
    Definitely do not get 1/16 if you want to go through grass...they will not be too good at that.
    And DO NOT get the brushed version of whatever you buy. DEFINITELY get the brushless you will not regret it in any way.
    As for selling the hpi to buy traxxas...I can't say because I've never owned a hpi rc.

RC Champion
    traxxas all the way. i have a slash myself and it is good in grass. you wont believe the things i have done and mine has only broke twice and thats just cause i went full speed with brushless and 3s lipo right into a sign. lol. i agree with the guys here though. rustler and slash are the way to go.

I vote for the 2WD Slash in the VXL flavor.

You didn't mention the Stampede, but that would be my first choice. I have 3 slashes and a couple Pede's and a Rusty and I go for the Pede every time. The Rusty isn't great in grass unless you put bigger tires on it for ground clearance, and then you are moving toward a Stampede.

Are you in England? I don't know how much things cost there but you just can't go wrong with a spankin' brand new 1:10 Traxxas truck.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    ya i think the stampede is a little lighter than the slash even though its a monster truck.

RC Enthusiast
    I also suggest a Stampede as a first choice (its a lot of fun trust me) to run on grass and just very versatile, my second choice would be the Rusty. The Slash still ver fun but would be my last choice.

RC Champion
    stampede would be a great choice. would do good in the grass and anywhere else you run it. if the 4x4 wasnt so expensive id say get that one but even the 2wheel drive would be good cause of the bigger tires and higher ground clearance.

Slash is a.perfect balance between the handling of the rustler and the ground clearance of the stampede. I say just get the Slash VXL and drop the pinion for grass.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC poster
    Thanks for ur opinons, is the stampede more than the slash? can u get a slash 2wd brushless stock? Is the slash 1/16 or 1/10 good for dirt jumps? thank you and please look at my new thread

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Yeah you can get a stock VXL Slash. About the same cost a VXL Pede. Go 1/10th all the way. The 1/16 scalers just seem a bit too small. I also don't like the design of their differential covers. Seems like if he chassis flexes a bit too much, there could be danger to the internals. I really like my Slash a lot, but I think the Pede can handle a bit rougher terrain. The Rustler, Slash, and Pede all have potential to do many things. I think the Pede wins because it'll bash right out of the box, but if you want a speeder, you could lower it or do a makover and put a Pro-Trac kit on it. Go with your gut. All are a good choice, and all have a large following.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Competitor
    Go with the Slash 2wd, VXL if you can afford it. To make it more Monster truck like you can change the wheels to the Pede wheels to give it more ground clearance and the body to a body that allows for the bigger wheels. I did a Pede to Slash convert, would recommend the other way around. It's cheaper that way and then you will have a monster Slash!

RC Champion
    ya ive seen a slash with the stampede wheels n tires and it looked pretty mean. 1/10 definately

GO with 1/10 scale. It's bigger so you have more room to mod and add parts. The vxl is worth it WAY more than the brushed one. So don't EVEN THINK about saving money and going for the brushed one. JUST DON"T! As for the 2wd vs 4wd, it just depends on what kind of driving style you like. I like 2wd better because it's simpler and you can do great 360's.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    GO with 1/10 scale. It's bigger so you have more room to mod and add parts. The vxl is worth it WAY more than the brushed one. So don't EVEN THINK about saving money and going for the brushed one. JUST DON"T! As for the 2wd vs 4wd, it just depends on what kind of driving style you like. I like 2wd better because it's simpler and you can do great 360's.
    thank you, will the slash 2wd vxl struggle on rough terrain?

No. The slash will easily handle any terrain. I use to use mine for trail blazing on a mountain rain bike trail
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

It will depend on what kind of surface you will be running... Grass it'll do ok, on dirt, like baseball diamound, PERFECT! On gravel it'll do pretty good, not so much for rock crawling or driving over large obstacles. Goood luck! Glad I could help!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    4x4 is always better. 2wd on really struggles in heavy grass and the real rough stuff. other than that 2wd is great. mine is 2wd and it seems easier to work on and its way cheaper.

RC poster
    Thanks alot

RC poster
    Would u say it is a good idea for me to get the 2wd slash and save up some money for upgrades and parts

RC Competitor
    The 2wd will be the easiest to maintain, but if you can afford it go with the VXL model. If you can't then the brushed model is fine. Make sure that you get the model with the 2.4ghz radio. You can get that radio in both the #5803 or #5807 models. When you break parts, thats the best time to upgrade.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by majikmike_69 View Post
    The 2wd will be the easiest to maintain, but if you can afford it go with the VXL model. If you can't then the brushed model is fine. Make sure that you get the model with the 2.4ghz radio. You can get that radio in both the #5803 or #5807 models. When you break parts, thats the best time to upgrade.
    yer sounds gd, i was planning on getting a VXL

RC Champion
    slash 4x4 with upgraded mmp2400, enough said.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    slash 4x4 with upgraded mmp2400, enough said.
    how much would it cost?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEKing11 View Post
    how much would it cost?
    Lulz, you should consider it from the other direction. Whats your budget?

Because hey why stop there? Why not get the ERBE?

RC Champion
    the 2400 i got was $187, and i got my slash 4x4 ULTIMATE for 130 with powerstrokes.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, i own slash 2wd and rusty, both were brushed, but converted them to VXL. in my opinion i would get rustler vxl, they are pretty good everywhere. But if you like the slash look i would only get a 4x4 brushless. NEVER GO WITH BRUSHED... what i would do is trade your rc car for roller + money or complete vxl setup, and go off from there. 2wd slash, you will get tired buying new tires over and over, and come on its 60$ for a set. I run my slash mostly on hard terrain, so i do wheel spins and drifts like crazy because i like high speed runs, but i buy my tires almost every 2 months, as of rustler, you can do wheelies which will save your tires a little, and its better in high speeds...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    Hmm, i own slash 2wd and rusty, both were brushed, but converted them to VXL. in my opinion i would get rustler vxl, they are pretty good everywhere. But if you like the slash look i would only get a 4x4 brushless. NEVER GO WITH BRUSHED... what i would do is trade your rc car for roller + money or complete vxl setup, and go off from there. 2wd slash, you will get tired buying new tires over and over, and come on its 60$ for a set. I run my slash mostly on hard terrain, so i do wheel spins and drifts like crazy because i like high speed runs, but i buy my tires almost every 2 months, as of rustler, you can do wheelies which will save your tires a little, and its better in high speeds...
    ok,the 4x4 is out of budget, for the slash can i just by a different type of tyre?

RC Qualifier
    you may but upgrades will go to 30-50 $, ull need to buy different suspension, tires them selves will cost 60$, 4x4 is still not out of budget, depending on where u live, i would go on craigslist and find a 4x4 roller, then buy a used VXL setup ! and there u go u have a truck that is within 300$ and VXL, i bought my rwd truck for 110, changed setups for 100$ and there u go i have a VXL for 210$ 4x4 chassis will cost you more but no more then 200$ + vxl setup 100$ u have a 4x4 vxl slash... I NEVER BUY NEW RC CARS as it is cheaper for me to build them my way...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriganosa View Post
    you may but upgrades will go to 30-50 $, ull need to buy different suspension, tires them selves will cost 60$, 4x4 is still not out of budget, depending on where u live, i would go on craigslist and find a 4x4 roller, then buy a used VXL setup ! and there u go u have a truck that is within 300$ and VXL, i bought my rwd truck for 110, changed setups for 100$ and there u go i have a VXL for 210$ 4x4 chassis will cost you more but no more then 200$ + vxl setup 100$ u have a 4x4 vxl slash... I NEVER BUY NEW RC CARS as it is cheaper for me to build them my way...
    cool, i found a good price for a slash 4x4 (the normal edition) and i think i might go for it. i was just a little concerned when saw some review says that the slash's stub axels break and the bearing rust, is this true?

RC Qualifier
    As far as the stub axles go, you may break them, but any truck you buy will have weak points that you have to work with, so I wouldn't let that deter you. As for the bearings, it all depends on how well you maintain your truck, if you run it in mud and water all the time and never clean your bearings, then you'll probably have some trouble out of them, but a lot of us maintain our trucks regularly and don't have any issues with the stock bearings.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Champion
    Man, that will happen on any rc if you don't take car of it. Don't worry about it will have no worse maintenance than any other rc.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC poster
    ok so i need to dry it after use and that sort of thing

RC Qualifier
    Exactly. Never put it away wet...that really goes for any truck you buy, but you get the idea. Clean off all the mud/dirt that you can and then dry it with a hair dryer or something. Some people use an air compressor to blow water off of it, but I've heard that can push water into the electronics, which you definitely don't want.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanders337 View Post
    Exactly. Never put it away wet...that really goes for any truck you buy, but you get the idea. Clean off all the mud/dirt that you can and then dry it with a hair dryer or something. Some people use an air compressor to blow water off of it, but I've heard that can push water into the electronics, which you definitely don't want.
    yer, i own a nitro buggy and i clean it and dry it.

RC Champion
    hose it off and use a hair drier. but be carefull with the hair drier so you dont melt anything. just go back n forth with it.