RC Competitor

Duratrax charger & battery ??

What's your opinion on the Duratrax Onyx 245 charger? I'm thinking of getting it because it allows you to charge 2 battery packs at the same time, NiMh or Lipo.

Also, I'm finally going to step up to Lipo & wanted to know what you thought of the Duratrax 7.4 5000mAh 25c Lipo (2S)? I've read good feedback on here about SPC, Sky & Promatch Lipo batteries...just wanted your opinion on Duratrax as well.

RC Qualifier
    As far as the charger I found this:

"This charger is working great. However, I only charge LiPo batteries. It's not only inconvenient to have to switch the setting to LiPo every time as well as switch the charging rate every time, but I'm concerned that one of these day's I'm going to forget to switch the setting the LiPo and blow up my batteries. This charger needs either a way to detect what type of batteries are connected or it needs to remember the settings so I don't have to reenter them every time."

If you are just now stepping up to Lipo I think I would avoid this. Lipos can be VERY dangerous if you are not very careful with them. Get a charger with Memory and set it and make sure you always buy the same batteries and you won't have the extra thing to worry about.

I have not used Duratrax batteries. However, this might help.

RC Qualifier
    no there are better ones. for that price you could get a thunder power with the about the same specs.
    the 245 has preset voltages, 80 watts total (40 per side) and only 5 amp max charge

do some research before you buy a charger. watts is key. charger watts / battery voltage = max charging amps

battery voltage is over the said voltage. a 3s lipo 11.1v is really 13 volts. so if your charger power supply is 80 watts and you battery is 13 volts you can charge at 6 amps

The Duratrax 245 is programmable so you don't have to program it every time you use it, and the charger should recognize the difference between lipo and nimh.

True the charge rate is a little slow compared with some of the newer chargers, but you can charge 2 at a time ac or dc for about $120 plus you get a 5 year warranty (and don't have to ship it back to hong kong for warranty repair).
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Had one for about a month and love it, yes you do have to take all of about a second to change it to Lipo mode every time but no big deal. I bought it to charge multiple batteries for me and my son. I don't plan on going much more then 2s so the charge rate is just fine for me. The simplicity of it made the decision for me. Yes there are better ones out there but most are much more expensive or have to haves separate power supply. I like it for what it is, a self contained dual battery charger for dummies, LOL! It also comes with everything you need to charge about any battery!

RC Competitor
    i have the 245 charger...i love it.it charges everything,my nimhs lipos,u name it...comes with everything u need...after my first 2 trucks i switched to lipos,i will never look back...more power longer run times...i ran 2 3s packs through my 2x4 pede today and i got about an hour with 4400 sky lipo and 4000 sky lipo.....watch your temps with 3s tho...if you dont want to get crazy 2s is plenty enough punch...just my 2 pennies....