Thread: Spartan in UK

RC Enthusiast

Spartan in UK

My spartan is running well. Everything stock apart from the prop which is a octura x442 goes great. Just want to know what grease can I use as a repleacement to the traxxas one as it has nearly ran out. I grease after every outing. Dont know what to replace it with been told a high temp grease would be the one any ideas.

RC Racer
    There are plenty of greases sold for marine use. Any web sight that sells props and things for RC boats will have a grease for sail. I would think that a marine grade bearing grease would work too.

RC Qualifier
    Grim Racer grease is often recommended.

hog

RC Enthusiast
    can you get grim racer grease in uk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mullycapitalist View Post
    can you get grim racer grease in uk
    I have no idea, you would have to check at local hobby shops or do a google search.

I use water resistant wheel bearing grease. You should be fine using any grease that is rated for good water resistance, and that is "not too thick, not too thin".

I know that sounds a bit ambiguous, but for the most part a water resistant multi-purpose grease should be ok to use. If you get a grease that is too thick, it will cause additional drag along the drive line, especially when cold. If you get a grease that is too thin it won't cling to the surfaces as well and reduce lubricating effectiveness.

hog

RC poster
    I got a tube of marine grease from eBay here in uk - take a look - usually a few sellers.

Ps. What is the main difference your prop gives over stock setup? Thanks.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-10-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotBoat View Post
    Ps. What is the main difference your prop gives over stock setup? Thanks.
    Plastic or composite props will flex under load and loose some efficiency, they also chip easily.

Metal props are overall a bit better than the stock plastic props, but be aware they require balancing and sharpening before use.

Hog

RC poster
    Thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense. I've noticed my plastic one showing some wear already.
    Know anywhere that sellls pre-balanced props?

RC Qualifier
    Not in the UK. FunRCBoats will balance and sharpen any prop you buy from them for around $25-$30 over and above the cost of the prop.

I'm not sure how long it takes them to do the work and ship the product.

OSE sometimes has a few balanced and sharpened props in stock, but the popular sizes don't last long when they have them in stock.

hog

RC poster
    thanks. Silly question but I have to ask - whats the average life expectancy of plastic versus metal props - just some ballpark figures - assuming no damage by scraping over rocks or things that is..

RC Qualifier
    A metal prop should last pretty much forever if not damaged or lost.

I have very little experience with plastic/composite props but the few I have run seem to show signs of chipping after only a few runs.

Hog

RC Enthusiast
    My metal prop the boat was a beast on gunning it. The boat almost jump out of the water. Top end not much differant.
    Got it balanced and sharpend it was good.But my esc stil not back