RC Champion

cooling questions for vxl/velineon

i know i can get a fan for the esc but i have not seen much for the velineon motor. i just heard about the strc motor heatsink plate but how much cooler will i run with that? anything else that will help?

RC Champion
    The best option for lowering motor temps is an aluminum tranny case. They run between $30-$70 and will drop temps 20-30. Also, running lower gearing will help.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    The best option for lowering motor temps is an aluminum tranny case. They run between $30-$70 and will drop temps 20-30. Also, running lower gearing will help.
    I've always wanted to know this...how does an aluminum tranny case reduce heat?

RC Champion
    well im assuming it would dissipate heat better, but would it help that much cause its not really even attached to the motor?

RC Racer
    Aluminum's thermal conductivity is very high. Used as a transmission it acts like a big heatsink, transfering the heat away from the motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    Used as a transmission it acts like a big heatsink, transfering the heat away from the motor.
    Or you can just use a big heat sink.....

RC Champion
    i cant fit a heat sink on the motor. there is to much crap in the way.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Or you can just use a big heat sink.....
    My sentiment exactly. I have never tried an aluminum transmission but it just seems like it would add too much weight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    i cant fit a heat sink on the motor. there is to much crap in the way.
    What extra crap do you have thats not in the picture? But regardless, if you don't think a motor heat sink works for your application, the aluminum transmission should.

Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    My sentiment exactly. I have never tried an aluminum transmission but it just seems like it would add too much weight.
    I haven't tried one either. I'm sure they work great, I just figured a direct heat sink looked like a much simpler setup for my truck.

RC Racer
    So back to the original question, has anyone tried the STRC heatsink? I've been wondering about them too. Maybe I'll just get one and let you guys know if it works.

RC Enthusiast
    Well with the velineon plugs being on the cylinder rather than petruding straight from the bottom AND the stock tranny/bumper a heatsink is VERY difficult and needs a lot of customization to get on. I have one for a 4x4 but im gunna have to shave off **** near 2/3 of the fins to get it to pass everything.