RC Racer

Setting up my truck for racing

On the advice of an experienced, successful E Revo racer at a local track, I made some changes to get track ready. Installed stiffer springs, tan in back and moved greens to the front, changed to 60wt shock oil, installed center diff w/ 500k diff lube, rear sway bar (silver), and ordered some 1/8 truggy Proline M3 Calibers tires on Velocity standard offset wheels. Our track is pretty loose surface with some tight corners. I'll let you know how it works out.

Any other suggestions welcome.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    What rockers are you using? I have the best luck with p3 rockers with the black push rods,tried the center hole but was to tall problems with rolling over moved them to outside handles much better.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Racer
    It's funny you ask. I've been reading about the differences between rockers. I'm still not sure which would be best. I have the P2 rockers on. I need to experiment at the track which is difficult due to limited practice time.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Have you changed to a single servo? This will effect your track handling performance!

RC Racer
    Still running the stock dual servos. I've been looking around at single set up. Its a lot to spend for such a mediocre driver. Really makes a difference though?
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Its one of those personal preference upgrades...it allows you to get more speed in turning or more turning power depending on the servo you choose. I used a Hitec 7954 that give you a boat load of power to turn big over size tires.

RC Qualifier
    the single servo will not make much of a difference. it is simpler, and easier to work on but for racing the advantage would be less weight. you don't want big, oversize tires when racing so the extra torque isn't really required.

i am running the tan/green springs like you with 45wt oil and the VDP kit. i still have some wheel lift under hard turning on the street, but i haven't run it off road yet.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake View Post
    the single servo will not make much of a difference. it is simpler, and easier to work on but for racing the advantage would be less weight. you don't want big, oversize tires when racing so the extra torque isn't really required.

i am running the tan/green springs like you with 45wt oil and the VDP kit. i still have some wheel lift under hard turning on the street, but i haven't run it off road yet.
    Sounds familiar. I'll find out this weekend if my mods are effective. It seems like 60 wt shock oil is a little slow on the rebound. The rear suspension on my truck has always seemed sluggish to me as compared to the front suspension.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC poster
    Did you change up the oils in your front and rear diffs? Just curious if you did, what you were using.

RC Qualifier
    On mine the rebound on the rear was no good the rear sway bar ruined the rebound. I run the 70w purple springs rear 60w blue springs front. In the diffs im running 3000 both frnt & rear...the track we run on this set up seems to be working best.
    Last edited by Brewers74; 04-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by whowerton View Post
    Did you change up the oils in your front and rear diffs? Just curious if you did, what you were using.
    I didn't change diff fluid. I gotta get on the track before I dig in that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewers74 View Post
    On mine the rebound on the rear was no good the rear sway bar ruined the rebound. I run the 70w purple springs rear 60w blue springs front. In the diffs im running 3000 both frnt & rear...the track we run on this set up seems to be working best.
    Maybe the sway bar is fouling my rebound. I'll have to consider diff fluid change. I installed the center diff. I hope it works well on the track. It is pretty much front wheel drive on pavement and grass. We'll see. I appreciate the input from you guys.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC poster
    Extended rear arms, half inch offset hub/rims or 6mm offset hubs(depending on track), single servo placed on left side with alum. horn/arm and upgraded spring, dremel (trim) the steering arm for more throw, relocate the receiver and your transponder where the right side servo use to be, grind down the back edges of the front arms to allow for a 5th caster clip or grind the bulk head for the 5th clip, alum. rear skid plate, vdp kit for the shocks, depending on the weight of your batterys and jumps/terrain of your track bring a range of shock oil and springs to dial it in as you practice. Center diff, move the batterys as far foward as you can.

Weight reduction on as much as you are willing to spend. Just becareful if using the alum. pillow balls (they can bend) and the front rocker posts can snap off if you use the alum. ones.

p2 or p3 work well, just depends on your setup/driving style.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTPower View Post
    Extended rear arms, half inch offset hub/rims or 6mm offset hubs(depending on track), single servo placed on left side with alum. horn/arm and upgraded spring, dremel (trim) the steering arm for more throw, relocate the receiver and your transponder where the right side servo use to be, grind down the back edges of the front arms to allow for a 5th caster clip or grind the bulk head for the 5th clip, alum. rear skid plate, vdp kit for the shocks, depending on the weight of your batterys and jumps/terrain of your track bring a range of shock oil and springs to dial it in as you practice. Center diff, move the batterys as far foward as you can.

Weight reduction on as much as you are willing to spend. Just becareful if using the alum. pillow balls (they can bend) and the front rocker posts can snap off if you use the alum. ones.

p2 or p3 work well, just depends on your setup/driving style.
    Now that's a lot of info! No sway bar?
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC poster
    I forgot to add the sways, I use the traxxas ones. They are ok, the techno ones are good as well. I gradually added/modded my ERBE over time racing it.

The things that helped the most for me were the 5 clips forward for the caster, getting the springs rates light enough so it was more forgiving on the track, half offset hubs with truggy tires, and dialing out the on power push by adjusting spring rates front/back sways and down travel on the front plus weight forward.

Its hard for me to keep up with the fast guys that have the eco, v4 e mugens and the losi 2.0's. But I can hold up well vs alot of the average truggy racers. Its alot of fun when you win a race vs those truggys.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the help. Gives me things to experiment with as I get it dialed in. I may be racing in E Truggy class which will be challenging no doubt.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx