Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Spartan Upgrade....

Took your advice HOG!
    Dropping in this monster 1717 mamba & Hydra Ice 240amp ESC...

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    love the paint job that is the system i run in my spartan xcept i run the 1515 you better be ready because it gonna be a whole different world make sure you have a recovery boat
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]I rigged my mr. Darby tugboat with an electric magnetic crane and placed small strong magnets inside the hull of the spartan.. Makes for a fun & speedy recovery!
    Last edited by TMESTMAKER; 04-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I agree that paint job looks real nice. I want to see some more pics of the whole boat when you finish the mod.

The 1717 is only 1580kv so you aren't going to have to worry about extreme RPM's, but that setup is going to be a torque monster.

With the 240 ESC and lots of torque in the 1717 you will have no problem pushing bigger props, just remember the bigger the prop the more torque roll you will need to deal with. You should be able to barrel roll that puppy coming out of the hole.

That is going to be a solid setup, I'm real curious to follow your build and how it performs.

Are you going to support the front of the motor some way?

hog

PS Not sure if you are already planning it or not, but with that kind of torque, and I assume you will be running a larger prop, you may want to consider a .187 flex cable.

RC Competitor
    Once I put the water cooling case on it, it fit almost perfectly snug in the motor space. I did have to put a small amount of foam to cushion it and prevent it from hanging. I am running a .187 cable with a CNC machined prop. They are made in Australia. I'll continue to provide updates and I am sure I will have questions as I progress!
    Thanks guys

RC poster
    Lets see the rest of the paint job, looks good.

RC Competitor
    Here is another graphic job I am finishing on my other Spartan...[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    You do excelant work!

RC Competitor
    Here is the current one, haven't put on all of the decals & C[IMG][/IMG]arbon Fiber fill-ins.

RC Qualifier
    Those paint and graphics are amazing, got some talent there. Very nicely done
    hog

RC Racer
    You can put a water jacket on the 1717 ?
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Racer
    Are you using plain whight hulls to paint?

RC Competitor
    Yes, they make a water jacket to fit the 1717. It makes the motor fit perfectly snug in its motor groove in the boats plastic molding. I use both white and Pre-Designed Traxxas Hulls. On the hulls that have the red & blue graphics, you can use those lines to create new ones in any color. Afterwards it's just important to spray a top/gel coat to make it blend all together. The White hulls are good for laying single color base coats and then adding stripes and deigns from there.
    I'm looking forward to unveiling my newest paint design/scheme "urban camo!"

RC Racer
    thank s for the information !

RC Enthusiast
    Very Nice Job!!

RC Champion
    love the look of the graphics on the blue Spartan. Checkered on the bottom?

Did you make the graphics or buy them already made?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Yes, checkered to the waterline and then a deep blue on the bottom of the hull. This graphic was created from a hood wrap that was done on this dodge neon. Since they are two completely different sizes and dimensions I have had to rescale and design to fit both the hatch & hull. I got exact dimensions & measurements from Traxxas so my Roland Vinyl Printer/ Cutter can create exact templates to paint or wrap this hull. The Green one, I saw a similar custom painted one, so I mixed a Gold Metallic Paint Powder with a lime green paint, kinda like a candy (green) apple, and sprayed inside the lines of a blue Traxxas using its Pre-existing whites as its pinstriping. I have just created a new design to fit another Spartan, looks like a special edition call of duty boat with real smoking exhausts and backlight hatch holes !!! I'll post pics soon if you would like to see it.

RC Qualifier
    Well of course we want to see it.

hog

RC Racer
    Yes can t wait to see it !!

RC Racer
    tmestmaker you should try this motor http://www.gardentrucking.com/quarterV8.tpl

Each engine will be fully tested and adjusted for optimum performance. I am expecting around 5.5 hp at 9,500 rpm for the normally aspirated version and about 9 hp for the supercharged version. $7400.00

RC Competitor
    Holy &$?n! Where am I supposed to put that? In the Spartan?? It says it weights 11lbs+! I'm thinking you are suggesting it for my tug yes??

RC Racer
    I bet the spartan would hold 11 lbs. you could even cut out the window for the air scoop.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpierce81 View Post
    tmestmaker you should try this motor http://www.gardentrucking.com/quarterV8.tpl

Each engine will be fully tested and adjusted for optimum performance. I am expecting around 5.5 hp at 9,500 rpm for the normally aspirated version and about 9 hp for the supercharged version. $7400.00
    If you want to use a gas engine get something like a 2-stroke zenoah, rcmk or quickdraw. If your considering spending $7,400 you can get an inline quickdraw which produces about 16 horsepower for thousands less then that v8, and it's a dedicated rc boat motor. But putting any of the engines, even a single stock zenoah is just unintelligent to put one in a spartan.

Overall the spartan is not a good hull to modify because it is made of plastic, not fiberglass. Probobly the best option for putting WAY too much power in a spartan is to do twin esc's and twin motors.

RC Competitor
    If I was gonna spend $8,000+ I thInk I would put it into my 300hp Ranger Z20 Comanche!

RC poster
    Ranger Z20 Comanche!

Now thats a boat!

RC Competitor
    Created a new design today! Whatcha all think??

RC Qualifier
    Dead link..?
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    Your work is just plain awesome. nuff said
    Won't be long before folks are asking you for custom work.
    hog

RC Qualifier
    love the second design that is SWEET
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Champion
    I'm still partial to the one in post #7, I like because it has a bit more blue and blue is just happens to be my favorite color
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Hey Dennis,
    Do you run you boat in the laguna or bay at all? I'm going down to my boat in Marina Del Rey and want to drop my stock Spartan in the Marina. If I flush it and spray it down with corrosion X and salt away will it be ok???
    -Tommy

RC Champion
    Tommy, yes I run my boats in mission bay and at the San Diego boat pond. I clean them throughly with fresh water before leaving and blow dry. Just flush and rinse with the products you mentioned and all should be good. I also remove the flex shafts, clean and regrease before leaving.

The marinas and bays are so smooth early in the mornings or an hour or so before the sun goes down, Your gonna love your ride.

Also you may find that the boats are a little bit faster in the salt water than fresh.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Wow amazing work. When you gonna start taking orders from us.

RC Competitor
    I may be Able to do some custom jobs for you guys but it may take a little time to complete from start to finish depending on the type of pattern/design and paint or wrap you will want. Just let me know!

RC Qualifier
    TMESTMAKER Me I want a combination of metallic black and yellow, any desIgn will be appreciated, just want to make my Spartan unique, hope you will not charge like the price of a Hull?

RC Competitor
    What do you mean, charge the price of the hull?? Just a bit of information to help you, anytime you have custom paint jobs or work done on anything, it's not cheap. I always say, you get what you pay for. That said, the price I quote or charge would be only to cover the cost of material and time. I do this because I like to, not to make money. I can definitely paint a hull those colors and create a one of a kind design.

RC Qualifier
    Gunna keep an eye on this thread. Got any tips for mounting the Castle ESC?
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Competitor
    Ok... Here it is! Hope you guys likie....

RC Qualifier
    I like.
    Hog

RC Racer
    Beautifully done!!