RC Qualifier

Gearing Questions ans Pics!

So heres my slash/ merv, whatever you wanna call it. Haha

No right now i have some stripped gear, not sure what it is yet, havent taken it apart yet. And i pillow ball snapped in my front arm.

Anyways what gearing would one recommend i run? Im a hard basher, street, grass, jumps, speed runs, you name it i bash on it. Thats all i do with it. And now im running 2s lipos. Im not too good with figuring out gears so im asking for help. I was running my speed pinion and stock drivetrain, for slash.

What do you think?

I have yet to run it with this tire settup. Just got the merv tires.
    Define Spam...

RC Champion
    Great I just wrote a hole post and numlock was off and I hit 7 (win7 key for "Go to home page")

Point is, I dunno if that truck is 4x4 or not, if it is... you can't have two difference sized wheels - the smaller ones will be dragging all the time and wreck all sorts of things.

Gearing is up to you, get a temp gun and measure the temps after a drive. Up the gearing from the "speed" 23 pinion to say 26 or 28, bash for a few mins and see the temp differences. Ambient temperature - outside air temp - REALLY plays a big role in how hot things get. So even though you may be able to run 28t with low temps one day, if it's really hot out the 28t can really hurt things if thermal doesn't kick in.

I recommend staying at 23 and things will last longer than anything higher than a 23t pinion, but I also recommend experimenting for yourself, only then will you KNOW what's best to do for yourself! *cheers

RC Qualifier
    ahhh never thought about that!! Yea its 4x4. In no circumstances can i run diff tires? What about if i mess with diff fluids? It was just an idea anyways, thinking hey it looks cool, i wonder how it will run. Lol.

What about spur? Right now i think its stripped, and its the slashes. What if i went to the merv spur? Just talking in general now, not with the different sized tires. In your opinion should i run the merv or slash, stock spur. Im in NJ and our weather is constantly changing. lol. That and i dont feel any need to experiment with diffenent gearing setups. So ill just keep my drivetrain close to stock setup.
    Define Spam...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Spurs usually only strip if it was not properly meshed... just to let you know.

23/50 would be a great start for gearing... that is what I ran with 2S and stock MERV tires.

Different sized tires is a definite no-no.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Yeah I'm in Toronto we get similarly messed up weather patterns haha!

Never is it a good idea to run different sized tires with a 4x4 unless you have a center diff that is basically open! I agree it can look totally tough but if you want that look your best bet would be to disengage the front driveshaft so that only the rear wheels are getting the power. Changing the front or rear diff will only change how the left and right side react to each other. Pick it up, spin BOTH back wheels and you'll see that both front wheels will spin!

Spur size is up to you as well. The lower the number, the faster the car will drive. I use the Revo's 50t spur, and it's great, allows for low pinion tooth counts to mesh in, if I went to the 45t spur, I would need bigger pinions to reach the spur because my motor mount doesn't allow the motor to go any closer.

Since all these parts are only $2-6 anyway, go buy a few and like I said; experiment! It's half the fun. =)

*Cheers

RC Qualifier
    Well. Ill be changing my front end to merv so I guess I should go merv gearing. Yea I'm not going to disengage the front diff so ill keep all four the same. Lol.
    Define Spam...

RC Qualifier
    the 28 tooth stock pinion is faster and heats up quicker
    where a 21 tooth will be slower and cooler it has more torque and raw pulling power used mostly for bigger tires or climbing
    i use a 19 tooth with my paddle tires as they require more power and torque to turn them

higher tooth pinion = speed/racing
    lower tooth = torque-power/climbing pulling and/or larger tires
    if its not broken, bash harder

since you can not change the gear ratios in the front and rear as they are the same, you can't run different sized tires on it.....

RC Racer
    I guess you could put a center diff in it with thin oil, right? But then it would be working all the time, even in straight lines so I doubt it would last long.

RC Champion
    Another thing to take in to account is efficiency! These ARE battery operated, so the smoother you can make things the longer you will have between charges! =)

Wiley I see after looking again that the front tires are balding, were they new when you put them on? I would expect to see this though after running with that setup, the fronts would be bald in little time.

RC Qualifier
    I have yet to run with that tire setup, in those pics there not actually mounted, just sitting there. Lol. And after warnings im not even going to try. Yes the tires are balding, but thats from running the complete set.
    I recieved the merv wheel in the mail that day and threw them on the rear, and took pics.

After reading all the warnings its dawned on me about the ratio differences, and i see how much of a bad idea it is.

For the record ive never ran it like pictured. haha. just an idea
    Define Spam...

RC Champion
    Ahaha for the record :P

It does look wicked though especially with that roll cage!

RC Qualifier
    I know! Ive been temptde to throw my front diff in the rear, and run it 2wd. But then i gotta strip everthing down again. Ugh. So ill just let it sit there for a day. haha
    Define Spam...

what roll cage is that?

looks liek the integy? how does it mount?

i am usually not a fan of integy... but they do have products i would run

also, how is it's fit and finish?

haha, ok, end toatl thread jack now

RC Qualifier
    Yes it is the integy cage! Its great!! Steel contstruction, adds weight but it doesnt bother me. Probably the best integy part i have. The wheels arent bad either. Thats the fronts in the pictures. The cage fit is almost perfect, uses stock screws to mount. Uses the mounting locations for the rear battery compartment vents, and the front location is at the foward most screw for the servo. Left and right.

I would recomend the cage to anyone. Cant vouch for their merv cage, but im sure its just as good.

Best thing about these are the fact that your stock shell will mount right over top with absolutley no modifications. So if you use both your shell will last longer.
    Last edited by Wileybrett; 04-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Define Spam...

i actually think i want to get the slash cage... wonder how it would fit on my baja bug body though

RC Qualifier
    I dont think it will. Unless the bug body fits right over the slash. Integy did a great job at forming it to fit the slash shell. Same goes i dont think it would fit a big block either. I could be wrong about that though. I have neither. You could modify it though.
    Am i the only one on here running this?? Ive actually never seen it on anyones rig. Except mine. Haha.

But this thing provides all the needed protection, i dont even use my shell anymore.
    Define Spam...

RC Qualifier
    Actually it just may fit
    Define Spam...

RC poster
    could you put up some upclose pictures of the cage ?

RC Qualifier
    huh two different tires ?????
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    Yea it was a horrible idea. I didn't run it like that. Lol
    Define Spam...

RC Enthusiast
    what tires and wheels do you have mounted in the front?,dimensions?, they look wider and little taller than stock slash tires
    EMAXX 3903(SINGLE 775 MOTOR) & SLASH 1/16 VXL