RC Enthusiast

Center diff on 3s?

Well guys I've been beatin around a local track and having a blast, but I'm noticing something, on some power slides in the dirt I'm not seeing much of a roost off of the front tires, I thought I broke something so I held the rear bumper and went full throttle on the Tarmac and all 4 tires spun evenly, but the truck seems to oversteer so easily in the dirt like its 2wd, will the center diff help me here? I'm on 3s lipo with 15/54 gear, I'm not sure if the stock tires are good for loose dirt eitherbut any help is appreciated

RC Qualifier
    Stock tires are trash, and from what i hear the center diff is not a good way to go on 3s, it is only meant for nimh and 2s lipos. i dont know what is wrong with running a 3s with it though.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Competitor
    I'm running the center diff and use 3S packs and have good control on loose, dry tracks. However, I am NOT running the stock tires. I couldn't make a turn to save my life with them on my 2wd (yes, apples and oranges comparison) and didn't even bother with them on my 4x4. They just seem to be a little too hard and don't bite as well as my calibers do.

RC Racer
    3s is a little too much power for the center diff it will shorten its lifespan but can be used if you choose. Or if you want to there are aluminum center diff carriers and that strengthen them for 3s usage....and experiment with aftermarket tires the stockers are for people learning to drive and kids in the front yard not well suited for serious racing. I run calibers too and our track is hardened clay that they wet down between races.

RC Racer
    I agree with TmaxxW14. We're lucky to have so many great traction mods for the 4wd Slash out there but tires are the one thing that helps across the board. I just dropped my center diff in last week and love it. She hooks a lot better all the way through the turn and keeps the front end down while continuing to pull. I ran a 3S before and ordered a 2S when I got my center diff just to be safe. I'm pretty sure it says in the instructions that its only intended for 2S.

RC Competitor
    I will admitt I am fairly new to the whole current RC scene and have only had my Ultimate for less than a month beating the crap out of most every day, modding it quite a bit and breaking stuff regularly because I suck at controlling the Momba power.

With that said:

I have had ZERO issue with the center diff on 3s and it's all I run. I fried the stock slipper clutch pads in a day with the 2400 Momba motor and it was adjusted properly. I have a Robinson slipper that is awsome but I rarely use it.
    I bash in the AM before work, at lunch and after work with the center diff and have yet to melt a thing. My gearing is 19/50 and I do WOT runs on pavement and bash in the woods, grass etc. It works well on the track (tires are a must!) too when I do my part with the throttle control.

SS

RC Racer
    The lifespan of the center diff really comes down to what weight oil you run in it. I had 10k in mine and it swelled on 2s. The more power it diverts, the more stress on it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    The lifespan of the center diff really comes down to what weight oil you run in it. I had 10k in mine and it swelled on 2s. The more power it diverts, the more stress on it.
    Makes sense...... mine is as it came from Traxxas.

SS