Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Using 2 heat sinks

Is there any benefit to using 2 heat sinks on your motor?
    When it breaks......... Time to......... Upgrade!

Two fans yes, heatsinks. Well if they both cover the complete motor, maybe so.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Ya, i was wondering, because i bought a heat sink for my Rustler, and it didnt fit, so i thought it might work on my slash
    When it breaks......... Time to......... Upgrade!

RC Champion
    Select the right motor and gear it correctly

Heatsinks are nothing more than bandaids and shouldnt be used to cover up a bad motor selection

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Select the right motor and gear it correctly

Heatsinks are nothing more than bandaids and shouldnt be used to cover up a bad motor selection

Cheers
    This is GREAT for people with the experience and items to do so. However, there is a time and a place for Heat Sinks. I live in South Texas and it will get up over 100 degrees on a regular basis. That means that I am usually at a starting temp on average 20 plus degrees higher than most people (though probably not you). I run my truck wherever I get to pull it out and start driving. My back yard. The park across the street (in deep sand and shells doing hill climbs). At the big park down the street doing speed runs through grass and hard packed dirt. At the local track. On the mud flats. I do not have all the spare gears and/or time to switch gears every time I change where I am driving at.

RC Qualifier
    When i got my Platinum, I intended to run the vxl system, but I got the impression that I need heatsink and fan to keep them from getting too hot. Those fan/heatsink cost over $25 but. Needless to say, I went all the way to the mmp sct combo and never have to worry about fan or heatsink-problem solved, saving $ in the long run

RC Champion
    Save your pennies and upgrade the motor / esc to one that will run in any temperature without heat problems

Decent replacement system can be had for $150

Regardless of what Traxxas may have you believe the stock system in underpowered for the weight of the car

How long does it take to change a pinion ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    I can see where both of you (John and Crusey) are coming from. John like you I live in south TX well southeast TX. With the TX heat being over 100F on a regular basis in the summer, on the VXL a heatsink/fan are a must. However, I agree with Crusey that if you gear the system for what it can do instead of gearing it to do what you want it to do then it would be better all around to run without a heatsink/fan and that the VXL is underpowered for the stampede and slash 4x4's (IMO if the ultimate slash was so ultimate it would have "at least" the CC SCT 3800 (Sv2) considering Traxxas already has a "relationship" with Castle). I have the MMP 2400 geared 17/54 w/2.8 trenchers on 3.2 wheels and 3s. I have to use a fan on my motor due to the weight of the vehicle 7.5lbs, technically I need the MM 2200. But on the other hand, if I change the wheels to my buggy wheels/tires and up the gearing to 19/54 then there is no need for a fan or heatsink, it barely gets warm (the weight drops 1.5lbs). Although, I still use a fan because its already on there and quicker cool downs and lets face it, it won't hurt anything to use either a heatsink or fan.
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 04-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Save your pennies and upgrade the motor / esc to one that will run in any temperature without heat problems

Decent replacement system can be had for $150

Regardless of what Traxxas may have you believe the stock system in underpowered for the weight of the car

How long does it take to change a pinion ?

Cheers

No idea I have never changed one. I don't own one to change it to. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Not everyone has a ton of spare parts/pinions etc laying around or even the knowledge to change it. Some people have just started the hobby. Not everyone has been doing this for years. Not everyone has another $150 to drop into a vehicle days after buying over $800 worth of stuff. For THOSE people a heat sink is great idea.

Koda, I live down in Corpus Christi. If you are heading down this way you should PM and we can go to the local track and bash/race or something.

RC Qualifier
    Same to you if you head up to the Houston area. We have 4-5 tracks in the area, 1 public (free) bmx track thats close by, a few bash spots and a few high speed run spots.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    Same to you if you head up to the Houston area. We have 4-5 tracks in the area, 1 public (free) bmx track thats close by, a few bash spots and a few high speed run spots.
    Man, that must be nice. We have one little local track and a skate bowl down in the park, but I am not sure we are allowed to run there. Though I have once after dark... When the skaters left...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    Would you mind listing the locations of the places you described? I'm really interested in the speed run locations, but would also like to know where all of the other spots are too (minus the tracks since I think I know where all of the Houston area tracks are). Thanks!

RC Champion
    Pinions cost $5 and take 5 minutes to change

If you dont have the knowledge to change a pinion you have purchased the wrong car and are in the wrong hobby

Owning one of these cars means you need to have the ability to rip it apart and put it back together often

A brushless motor gets hot when its working too hard, usually because it is not powerful enough and over-geared

Using a piece of metal on its surface to try and lower its internal temperature (specifically magnets bonded to the rotor) is not very effective

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Pinions cost $5 and take 5 minutes to change

If you dont have the knowledge to change a pinion you have purchased the wrong car and are in the wrong hobby

Owning one of these cars means you need to have the ability to rip it apart and put it back together often

A brushless motor gets hot when its working too hard, usually because it is not powerful enough and over-geared

Using a piece of metal on its surface to try and lower its internal temperature (specifically magnets bonded to the rotor) is not very effective

Cheers
    @ Crusey No offense dude, but you come off as VERY arrogant and make very ignorant statements. To tell me, or ANYONE for that matter, that if we do not have the knowledge to change a pinion we are in the wrong hobby is just arrogant and ignorant. I would venture to guess that a majority of people in this hobby started it with no knowledge of how to change a pinion.

Just because I own one of these cars does NOT mean I need any knowledge of how to break it down or reassemble it. Just because someone owns a Lamborghini does not mean they need to know how to work on it. That is what the local hobby shop is for if one so desires that.

Stating that using a piece of metal on its surface to cool its internal temperature is not very effective means you probably have not studied thermal dynamics very much.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with anyone, you just need to not sound so arrogant and ignorant with your blanket statements.

RC Racer
    I feel like at least one heat sink it better than nothing... I understand that each of us have completely different driving styles, terrain and climates but we can all agree that heat is always going to plague the stock VXL set-up. I'm running mine in Kuwait and its not even remotely warn yet (just about 85 deg) and I'm already on my second motor because I let my first run way too hot. Now I'm just really careful until I get home and upgrade to a Castle combo.