Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    Question My 2nd burnt ESC in 6 weeks.

    I'm running a stock 4x4 and the ESC has burnt out twice now. I got it back in February and after about 8 packs the truck died. It just stopped running. No power, no lights. Nothing. I checked the temps of the ESC and motor and neither one was above 120 degrees. I shipped it off to Traxxas and they sent me a new one. Cool, but I was out of commission for two weeks. I thought I'd get an ESC fan to try and help with temps. It ran fine for a few more packs then it died again. This time they wanted me to send in both the
    ESC and motor. (another two week turn around)
    This last time it happened aftert 10 minutes into a 3000mah battery the truck just stopped. The ESC had that wonderful smell of burnt electronics. I contacted traxxas again and while trouble shooting with them I noticed the motor getting HOT. All I did was plug in the battery. Again it wont turn on and no throttle was applied. I hope they can sort it out this time. I live in San Antonio and if it overheats when it's only 70 degrees outside, I'll never be able to drive it this summer. It's not like I'm pushing it hard. Just some impromptu races with buddies on dirt.
    I tried searching forums and google and I can't believe no one else has similar problems, so I figured I'd post.

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    6 weeks I could live with I got a pede 4x4 that's 8 days old on its 3rd esc and motor. Last one lasted a half a pack 2s lipos. I got two trucks but the other is fine. I think traxxas has a dumpster full of warranty escs out back

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    785
    When you get your new one sell it and get a MMP.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    75
    You're not alone. A month ago a friend and I were at a local track running our 4x4 slashs. Weather was cool and we were running 2s lipos. Within an hour of each other both of our trucks started acting weird. Bad cogging, lost reverse, etc. Mine got to the point where it wouldn't go if I didn't give it a push start. His was just running like crap. We took both trucks back to the tables to clean them up and check them out. After a good cleaning he plugged in his battery to test the truck and the esc literally cooked itself! We smelled it burning before we saw the smoke coming out. He was able to unplug the battery before the rest of the truck caught fire. Later that night we took the esc apart and it was completely burnt on the inside. Two weeks later I took my truck out to my street to bash around for a while. Five minutes into it it just died. No smoke or fire, but the esc was gone. I'm not even bothering with cust. support. I just ordered a Mamba Max pro combo for it and called it a day. Out of 3 vxl3s controllers I own one was replaced by traxxas and one fried itself. This is over the span of one year. My third esc is still going strong. Its a shame about my dead traxxas esc...I really like the waterproof feature.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    8,129
    I have to agree! Get a 2400 sct system from Castle Creations. I have had one in my first truck for over a year with no problems. Traxxas is a great company with excellent customer Service. Their electronics are hit and miss. When you get a good set they are great, just watch your temps. When they are bad, its all bad.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by cmartinez95 View Post
    You're not alone. A month ago a friend and I were at a local track running our 4x4 slashs. Weather was cool and we were running 2s lipos. Within an hour of each other both of our trucks started acting weird. Bad cogging, lost reverse, etc. Mine got to the point where it wouldn't go if I didn't give it a push start. His was just running like crap. We took both trucks back to the tables to clean them up and check them out. After a good cleaning he plugged in his battery to test the truck and the esc literally cooked itself! We smelled it burning before we saw the smoke coming out. He was able to unplug the battery before the rest of the truck caught fire. Later that night we took the esc apart and it was completely burnt on the inside. Two weeks later I took my truck out to my street to bash around for a while. Five minutes into it it just died. No smoke or fire, but the esc was gone. I'm not even bothering with cust. support. I just ordered a Mamba Max pro combo for it and called it a day. Out of 3 vxl3s controllers I own one was replaced by traxxas and one fried itself. This is over the span of one year. My third esc is still going strong. Its a shame about my dead traxxas esc...I really like the waterproof feature.
    This very same thing happened to me. My truck right out of the box started doing this and that was with the battery that came with it. So, obviously this is NOT just limited to a LiPo problem.

    Traxxas, you listening?

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    197
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

    Get a MMP SCT 2400kv and be done with it.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Yeah I'm looking into the MMP. Just can't decide on which motor, 1410 or 1415. Any suggestions? I haven't upgraded to lipo yet so I'll either get 2s or 3s depending on the motor.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kuwait / Charleston, SC
    Posts
    205
    Yeah, I started eyeballing the Mamba Max Pro SCT 2400kV earlier tonight, but did see the SCT Race Pro 3800kV for only $45ish more. I wouldn't mind hearing the differences from some current users to see if its worth it. Honestly I just want the punch for racing with a high discharge 2C LiPo.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. vxlrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manassas, Va
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by IIIICASEIIII View Post
    Yeah I'm looking into the MMP. Just can't decide on which motor, 1410 or 1415. Any suggestions? I haven't upgraded to lipo yet so I'll either get 2s or 3s depending on the motor.
    i have both. the 3800 is good for street running, but you gotta watch the temps. the 2400 has TONS of power and you can gear it up quite high if you want more speed. both motors are great. if you're a basher go with the 2400(1415). if you're a street guy go 3800(1410)
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    And today I blew another esc in my truck and a motor. The last two were in my kids car all in 13 days

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    i have both. the 3800 is good for street running, but you gotta watch the temps. the 2400 has TONS of power and you can gear it up quite high if you want more speed. both motors are great. if you're a basher go with the 2400(1415). if you're a street guy go 3800(1410)
    How's the 2400 run on 2s? What gearing do you run?

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kuwait / Charleston, SC
    Posts
    205
    Is 3800 that you're refering to the SCT Race pro MMP w/ 1410 motor? I had no idea that it still faced some cooling issues. I would like build my rig up strickly for track racing, particulary loose dirt or sand and will only really be running a 2S so that's why I was leaning toward the 3800. Is it a bad choice in hotter climates?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •