RC Qualifier

Question proper MIP shaft assembly and loc-tite'ing up

I've learned that with my aluminum C-hubs and knuckles, it's better to apply some blue loc-tite to the threads if the screws that hold them together and let it set before assembling, otherwise the loc-tite finds it's way onto the non-threaded portion of the screw that's suppose to allow the steering to pivot and it ends up binding things up...

now I think I have the same issue with my MIP axles. just did a run through and rebuild of the truck, and it's the first time I've pulled the MIPs apart completely after installing them the first time around. when I first assembled them I didn't get any binding, but for some reason this time around, I must have put too much red loc-tite on the screws that hold the cross pins in or something and it's bled through and into the joints.

does anyone else use the "let it set up" method with the red loc-tite on their MIPs to keep it from spreading where it doesn't need to go, or will this method not work as well with the red loc-tite?

thanks
    fix, run, break, repeat

I use blue loctite. I just go very sparingly on it. When i install them I wipe off any material that I can see. Then I let dry for at least twelve hours. I might have to try your method.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use blue loctite it is easier to remove than the red one, who need some heat to be removed. I put too much loctite on my aluminum c-hubs screws and ended with no steering, I put just a tiny drop on the screw, and then clean up the excess after the install, never had an issue with them. Also I use erevo pins to secure the output shaft, the supplied screws were too little, and were getting loose.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-03-2012 at 09:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't needed to heat anything to break them loose yet; they are at lease the 2.5mm set screws, so they're a little more durable than say a pinion set screw I just don't want to loose any of those pins anytime soon, lol
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Champion
    I use blue loctite as well, very very sparingly
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    blue loctite very little on tip so it runs up the thread again as they have said you have to regualte the amount of loctite that you put on the screw and wipe excess and let set you'll be fine

RC Qualifier
    i dont know if its just me but i use red permatex thread locker and it doesnt set up the same as blue loctite. i can wipe off excess liquid 24 hrs later but will set up pretty quick after screwed in

RC Qualifier
    Had the same problem use just little loctite and make sure when your tighting up the gurb screw (the little screw that holds the pins in and axel to the diff) i forget the name lol make sure the pins are flush on both ends before your apply loctite.
    Then tighten them up. I let it sit over night but if im impatient ill wait an hour then apply the blow dryer for 5 to 10 mins
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>