Thread: Fyi.....

RC Racer

Fyi.....

I just found out after doing my first set of tires that useing acetone (sp) is the best way to break down the glue. It sat in a bucket 24 hours and poped right off the rims and saved the foam!. I tried one tire doing the "boiling" and it worked but it made the rim hard to handle without bending it. I didnt even try the baking method because I didnt want to stink up my house. Gotta love youtube how to videos!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I also found that you can prop the tire up on something inside the sealed container, out of the liquid, and the fumes will do the job. About 2x as long, but much less messy. I tried this because if was not using closed cell foams, they (inner foams) would blow up to 2x their original size. The open cell foams did not distort using the fuming method.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

That sounds like a lot of work to reuse a set of rims, not to mention possible respiratory problems.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Does it hurt the tires at all? I have a set of tires I need to put on different rims.
    And now that I have acetone I can try it.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Racer
    It doesnt hurt the tires from what I can see. This is my first time doing it so I havnt re-mounted the tires on another set of rims yet. As far as resperatory problems, I have my bucket outside sitting next to my house.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NewSlashOwner View Post
    It doesnt hurt the tires from what I can see. This is my first time doing it so I havnt re-mounted the tires on another set of rims yet. As far as resperatory problems, I have my bucket outside sitting next to my house.
    How long did you let them soak?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    How long did you let them soak?

Quote Originally Posted by NewSlashOwner View Post
    It sat in a bucket 24 hours
    ~~~~~all day
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Racer
    Correct. I let them set a full day. Today I let the tire dry off and it feels like it did right before I put it in the acetone and it didnt balloon up. So Im sure they can be re-used no problem!