Thread: Best Servo?

RC poster

Best Servo?

Guys whats the best Singleservo for the summit?

RC Qualifier
    I don't know that there is really a stand out best. I run a futaba s9157 in one truck and hitec 7950th in the other. Both about the same price, I think the hitec has higher torque rating but they both have more than I can get to the wheels. I've also heard of one blue bird I think, sounds like half the price and still over 400oz. Torque rating. Maybe someone can add to that but I don't know much about them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I use the futaba S9157 also. 425oz of torque at 6 volts. Its been WAY more servo that I have been able to use thus far. Twists the servo saver spring like its putty when the wheels are wedged somewhere. I also like that, if you choose not to upgrade to an aluminum horn, you can simply use the stock servo horn that came on the traxxas servo since traxxas and futaba servos use the same spline. If you use any other servo, you need to also buy a new servo horn. Not a big deal, but something to consider.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I use a Hitec 7950 in my ERBE and a 7954 in my Summit. As above, both are overkill, whether running on 6.0V or 7.4V.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I use 2 Savox 0251mg (222oz.) servos and at 44.95 a piece they are still cheaper than a single servo with 425 oz. of tourque

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    They guy (or gal) wants a single servo setup... and I can understand why.
    Also, your $90 servos are not cheaper than my $60 493oz servo. lol

As long as the servo of your choice exceeds torque and speed of the dual stock servos, you will be happy.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

A single servo setup is desirable in a number of ways. First, its simpler. Less linkages and wiring. Second, it eliminates the need to adjust 2 servos so they are not working against each other. This is especially true for servos of lesser quality that have less accurate centring. Third, in the long run, its cheaper. Once you go dual servos you'll want to beef up the steering in other ways. 2 servos means 2 of everything else as well. I went with a single servo, aluminum servo horn and aluminum single servo arm on the servo saver. Its been pretty indestructible so far.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    They guy (or gal) wants a single servo setup... and I can understand why.
    Also, your $90 servos are not cheaper than my $60 493oz servo. lol

As long as the servo of your choice exceeds torque and speed of the dual stock servos, you will be happy.
    what serve are you using?
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

Here is what I have on order:

BlueBird BMS-35A

Specs:
    Weight: 74 grams
    Dimensions: 40.5 x 20 x 39 mm
    Torque @ 6V: 29 kg/cm (402oz/in)
    Torque @ 7.4V: 35.5 kg/cm (493oz/in)
    Speed @ 6V: 0.17sec / 60 deg at no load
    Speed @ 7.4V: 0.14sec / 60 deg at no load

Features:
    Alu Heat Sink Case
    Titanium Gear
    Coreless Motor
    Digital Servo
    Dual Ball Bearing

RC Qualifier
    i will add a comment on upgrading the servo horn. i dont know if others had success with them but the stocker plastics just crumbled under the high torque for me. either way aluminum is a fairly inexpensive upgrade/insurance plan.

I striped three of them before I went aluminum I was running huge tires at that time though

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Hudy aluminum servo horn is best. It uses same size 3mm as Traxxas, so you can use original hardware and have strong 3mm. I use Hitec servos only. In summit I like to use 7950, incredible strong.

RC Qualifier
    I have the hudy on my hitec as well. The other truck has a clamp style from golden horizon. The gh is a little cheaper and easily as good and uses stock screws. Actually I believe scaniris has a good section on this topic if I recall. Find that video

Pretty much all servo horns will have stock threads so you can use the stock hardware. What you need to get correct is the number of splines for whatever servo you choose. As I said, Futaba and Traxxas use the same spline. But Hitec and Savox and others are different. You need to make sure your buying a servo horn that will fit your servo. If it fits the spline, pretty much any horn will be as good as another. They are aluminum. There really no magic to it. I think mine is a GH... its fine. Works great and doesnt strip. But I didnt ever strip the stock plastic ones before I got the aluminium one either.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

BlueBird and ******* use Futaba spline too.

RC poster
    First THX for the answers Guys.

BlueBird BMS-35A and Hitec 7950th need no extra BEC in single?
    I have the Xerun combo, BEC 5.75/3A.

You really only need a bec if you want to run it at 7.4v then it powers the servo only maximum torque

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Right... and the 400+ is enough without running the servo at maximum power.

RC poster
    alright thx guys

I don't run a BEC with my futaba servo. Works fine. Im just crawling with it buts its a FAST servo and I've never had a brown out.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    This is an excellent thread. Should be part of the sticky really. I have read all of this in bits and pieces here and there.

I hope some of the people here that have gone one servo could also indicate what other parts they used to finish their one servo install as there are multiple ways to go there as well. Such as what servo saver, turnbuckles, rods and so forth.

With my yard bashing I have found a couple instances where I have pinned my wheels and you hear that "wee...wee" whine as the servos try to move the wheels and nothing happens and you think to yourself, well Ill be upgrading sooner than I thought (due to breakage...lol).

RC Competitor
    Something like shown below: Although I am curious about the posters red battery covers if they are dyed, painted or purchased...

Quote Originally Posted by redskull56 View Post
    I finished my steering upgrade, as I said I used pretty much all the same parts as referenced in the previous posts by Scaniris. A couple of things to note; I used the ST Racing Concepts Servo Linkage Bracket, as Golden Horizons was out of stock. Even though this bracket is describes as being machined to allow for "extra" steering travel, I had a problem with it not allowing the steering arm to move all the way to full left or right steering. I removed some material but the problem seems to lie in the design itself. I ended up using the stock part for now. Other than that everything seems very good, very strong and solid. And the servo, WOW, talk about torque! Have to be careful that you don't hit the stops and twist your chassis in half, lol. Havent had a chance to run it yet other than on the bench.

From this:

To this:

I am sure they are painted...

RC poster
    I am sure they are painted...
    Hey Jimmie, are you running a BEC with your set up. I have a 6S set up and a tekin RX8 1900kv and I don't know of I need a
    BEC. Did you need any other parts to make the single bluebird work? Ie servo horn or something?

Thanks!
    g

The need of a BEC depends on if the Tekin is up to the task of providing the power to all the servos and LED's.

I have done nothing beyond simply installing the BB with stock linkages and horns. Next time I have that section apart I may add a washer to stiffen up the saver spring though.

RC poster
    The need of a BEC depends on if the Tekin is up to the task of providing the power to all the servos and LED's.

I have done nothing beyond simply installing the BB with stock linkages and horns. Next time I have that section apart I may add a washer to stiffen up the saver spring though.
    So far it's powered the stock set up just fine. All lights and other servos function. I'd have to assume the system can handle it. Plus I ordered 40C LIPOs so the discharge should be high enough. Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long. Placed an order this morning. thanks!!

RC Racer
    I'm running a savox 1230 without a bec and have had no problems.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

RC poster
    Actually found my Tekin is set to 6V. Hello 403oz of torque. That ought to be able to turn my mid slingers!!!

RC Racer
    What about the keeping it waterproof? Has anyone used the hitec 5646WP servo?

Servos are super easy to waterproof.

RC Racer
    Sorry I feel like I'm stealing the thread but its about servos, now I bought the hitec servo that's water proof but I bought before looking for reviews and now I'm kinda of regretting it. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this servo before?

Quote Originally Posted by red914slash View Post
    Sorry I feel like I'm stealing the thread but its about servos, now I bought the hitec servo that's water proof but I bought before looking for reviews and now I'm kinda of regretting it. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this servo before?
    From the looks of the specs it will not be strong enough would need two of them.
    Most of us went single to get away from the "servo fights" issue and more power+ metal geared.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Well that sucks, that was a waste of $60 lol

RC Racer
    What if I use the hitec and a Traxxas servo?

Never use two different servos tied together. They will kill one another.

Sell it on eBay and get a servo that will do the job by itself... more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run.

im planning on a Savox 1231 for my Summit. Have one in my ERBE and love it.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    How do you waterproof a servo? Plastidip?

That is one way.

How I do mine is to tear them apart, dab some grease in the case where the horn pokes through, and then reassemble with RTV at the seams.