-Reliable
    -LONG RUN TIME

So far the mods are:
    -Custom 1/4" thick front and rear skid plates
    -RPM front upper and lower A-arms
    -Big Joe 40 series tires on HPI rims
    -Summit front bumper
    -RPM rear step bumper

After the photo I added Integy Piggy back aluminum shocks (dont be worried, they were built before Integy started to become an inferior name)

It is the Brushed model and I want to keep it brushed for all weather bashability but the stock Titans give up the ghost too soon for my liking.
    I have heard of switching to the Titan 775 from the Summit and old E-REVO but those guys are switching that over to some DeWalt and Hitachi motors instead.

What kind of brushed motor would you guys recommend that is willing to get smoking hot, filled with silt, salt and sand but still be easily serviced?

I live in central Alberta, a region known for its extreme cold and lousy summers, and we have lots of fairly harsh terrain that is suitable for only monster trucks and trail rigs.

The kind of bashing I do most frequently is jumping in parking lots (paved and gravel), school yard sprinting at high speeds with long jumps and beating the urine out of my truck as hard as I can.
    Would the DeWalt be up for that? I like the price and serviceability of the motor but the custom work is what is selling me on it just as much as it is deterring me.
    I understand I will need to modify the existing motor plate to accept the larger DeWalt motor or build a new one entirely but what else is required for this upgrade?
    Will I get more power and torque with a longer run time?
    I already run 5100mAh batteries in the EVX2 and they get me around the 20 minute time if I go easy-ish on it but if I go full out, they only last a hand full of minutes.
    Waffles!

RC Qualifier
    If the motor adds power it's going to decrease run time, if you want a reliable run time with the added power of an upgrade motor I would recommend LiPo batteries with a voltage alarm. The stock ESC will handle a pair of 2s lipos and most people love the setup. With 5100mah 2s lipos you'd get a longer run time than the NiCd batteries because the voltage is higher, also the voltage is more consistent, with extended battery straps you can easily get over 5100 MaH my friend mounted a single 3s 5000 mah lipo in his brushless system, on 3s it gained power over stock nimh and brushed motors. I'm sure a larger brushed motor will be similar.

For the durability You're on the right track with RPM plastic, I would get some good quality aluminum bulkheads (ultimately the best would be FLM with 1/8 diffs) then go from there. Keep extra hingepins and assembled shocks and upgrade the shock towers.

edit: here's some info on the hinge pins
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...lkhead-problem
    There is a large Dewalt motor install thread going around, if you don't want to do the custom work keep in mind you could use a PAIR of 775 motors
    Last edited by Meebert; 04-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    I like turtles.

RC Champion
    I've also seen the Kershaw has a Dewalt motor already mounted on one of there own motor mounts. This set up includes an oversized pinion so it can reach the spur gear. The kit is in the $60 range. The appeal would be that it just bolts on the tranny with no custom cutting or grinding required.

You may want to also consider getting stronger servo's. Those Big Joe's are... well... Big! and may be difficult for the stock servos to turn. Not to mention possibly re-gearing your motor for that much rubber. Inexpensive plug and play servos would be the 2075's that come stock on the Summit. If memory serves they are around 125 oz per as opposed to the stock ones at 80 oz per. But there are lots of servo options to explore.

RC Qualifier
    I personally have the Dual Kershaw 700HOs. Run the included pinion that came with them on their included motor mount, with the same big Joe's that you have on some Axial Beadlocks, and a metal rollcage. Running on the stock ESC with the traxxas extended battery hold downs and some 8000MaH 2s Lipos. Truck runs AMAZING, never had any issues with it. I've had that setup for a year if not a little more, and I still get a solid 45min-1hr run time depending on the terrain and driving style.

Those motors have been through **** and back; rain, dirt, trails, construction sites, puddles, ponds, and the list goes on.. And they still run good as new. All I do is the occasional motor cleaner, and oil the bushing and we're good to go. I would highly recommend them!

RC Racer
    suprefanatic, your advice is exactly what I am after. I just installed a single 775 and this truck certainly hauls some serious tailbt the motor can only work with a 24t 32p pinion or larger needless to say the motor gets a little more than warm. Last night after a shortened bash session I reached to take the body off by the cab and could feel the body was a little warm from the heat of the motor.
    So you would suggest running a dual Kershaw 700HO setup on the Kershaw motor plate and included pinions? What kind of mods are required for this or is it bolt on and go? Would the stock EVX-2 ESC. Handlethe motors or would I have to run dual FXR's?
    Waffles!

RC Qualifier
    I would suggest running the kershaw 700HO combo, I have been running them for some time now and not one issue with them. Not a burned motor, no fried ESC, no nothing. The only mods that I had to do was to the chassis when I got the larger batteries to make them fit, just had to dremel the side walls down a bit to fit it good under the motor can and the chassis. But you can just run some 5000MaH batteries or something and be good to go. You can run those motors on NiMH but there won't be any speed boost or anything to it, but it will work, nothing extra needed. But when switching to LIPO you will need either a Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) or a Low Voltage Alarm (LVA), as to not damage the LIPOs. Other than that, you just loose the pinion/spur cover on the transmission housing. Thats it.

It pretty much is a direct bolt on using his included motor mount and pinion gear. If you need any pics or videos let me know, more than happy to help.

RC Racer
    Awesome dude, sorry for the grammar and spelling on the last thread, I was on my BB and its really slow on this site.
    So far, I am sold on the Kershaws. Was that about $60 all included? Sorry about all the questions, I work in the automotive accessory industry and see aftermarket add-ons go wrong all the time and my experience with my T-MAXX was less than stellar with aftermarket.
    Waffles!

RC Qualifier
    Nah, it was like double that :'( . I just checked his site and prices are about the same from when I purchased. Motors, Motor Mount, and Pinion Gears are $89.99, the Motor Prep is $12 (assuming stock AM Radio), and the ESC Fan was $14.99, so we are at a total of $116.98 Before shipping. The fan isn't necessary, but for $15 why not, you are already going to be paying shipping -- its worth not getting a headache over thermal shutdowns in hot environments.

RC Qualifier
    I know you were talking about staying brushed, but why not a brushless? All you have to do is waterproof the ESC. The brushless alone will help run times, run cooler, and be more powerful. It will also last much longer since brushless motor dont have brushes.

Not that brushed is bad, its just that i feel you get a lot more bang for your buck with brushless. My father in law just bought a whole brushless system for $140 or so. And its one of the better ones out there IMO.

Either way, looks like a fun build, keep us updated.
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    cumminsdriver has a solid point, my summit is running a brushless rx8 and i take it through everything i dont think ill have to climb into to get it out....and sometimes i still do it..water proof boots. ultimately brushed may be what you want but waterproofed brushless has done well. i think there is a company that claims a factory waterproof brushless system out there somewhere as well.

RC Racer
    Here are some current pics:

The current mods are:
    1/4" thick front and rear custom skid plates
    Custom locking rear differential compound (my secret)
    Big Joes mounted on some 17mm HPI rims
    Integy piggyback aluminum shocks
    RPM upper and lower front arms
    Dyed black chassis and gear cover
    RPM rear step bumper
    Summit front bumper
    Titan 775 Big Block with 24/68 gearing
    Proline Helios body (discontinued)
    Waffles!

RC Qualifier
    looks awesome, how was your heat at 24/68?

RC Racer
    Warm to the touch in 15C weather because of the massive built in cooling fan and lots of cut outs in the body.
    I am running Dynamite 5100mAh 8.4v Speedpacks for power with the stock ESC.
    Waffles!