RC Competitor

VXL driveshaft upgrades

Ok so I locked up my planetary gears to get full traction to both tires, now this weekend I went threw and had to replace every piece from the output shaft to the tires. the plastic in the drive shaft just cant handle the stress I guess??? what aluminum upgrades are out there that dont cost a ton??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good luck with that one... a spool is very hard on driveshafts.

4x4 shafts are slightly stronger, but will still break. You could try the XO-1 setup... but you might break that too...

With a spool you've got to keep to onroad only, and no crashing.

RC Competitor
    Yea i kinda figured that out, I found steel differential output yokes but cant find steel axle stubbs??? was going to leave the axles plastic so it will have a place to break and they are easy to replace.

RC Qualifier

from there site:
    ST Racing Concepts Heat Treated Steel universal driveshaft set for Slash 2WD

Carrying over design and material selection from our HPI Blitz and Associated SC10 universal kits, our Slash 2wd universal kits features large diameter universal driveshaft bone for more durability against the power of today's Lipo battery/Brushless motor combo, the heavier weight of short course truck, and larger diameter of short course truck tires. We also used the same carbon steel material for axles, which features two sets of universal pin holes so you can get twice the life out of the same set of axles. The universal joints and joint pins are of carbon steel material as well and the pins features a "step" for the setscrew to have a flat spot to more securely hold the universal driveshafts together. Lastly, even the universal shaft roll pin at the end was not over looked. Carbon steel at the pin although strong will unfortunately add excessive wear to the diff outdrives, thus a different material was selected just for the shaft pin for durability and ease of wear on the diff outdrives.

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=826

franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Good luck with that one... a spool is very hard on driveshafts.

4x4 shafts are slightly stronger, but will still break. You could try the XO-1 setup... but you might break that too...

With a spool you've got to keep to onroad only, and no crashing.
    Don't you mean OFF road?

RC Qualifier
    i still run the stockers with vxl on lipo with a protrac kit . i`ve heard guys running jato parts back there .

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Don't you mean OFF road?
    Nope. Onroad. For sure.

Go offroad and you'll be breaking a driveshaft every single time you drive.

Go onroad, and you've at least got a shot of lasting the pack....

But either way, the spool is going to eat up driveshafts. Go ahead and spend a ton of cash on driveshafts, you'll still bend em up.

Here's a spool, onroad of course...
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.

RC Qualifier

GPM Racing Products
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those actually look pretty good....

The issue with a spool isn't from turning, thats a big myth. RC cars don't give a smurf about tire traction. My XO-1 will spin the tires at 70 mph. My 6s Slash is almost as bad... breaking traction is no sweat at all for RC.

The issue with a spool is the rotational inertia stored in the wheels. They're big discs that spin, and have a lot of momentum. So when you come off the ground, like running offroad, the tires will spin up, then one hits the ground first, and immediately slows down.

But the other wheel is still spinning! And since they're spooled, it has to slow down just as fast... but instead of a nice tug from the tread, that rotational force HAS to travel down the driveshaft. Thats what causes the shaft to fail... when the tires leave the ground, and come back into contact suddenly...

With an onroad setup, I'd only break shafts when I wrecked. If the car took a tumble, it'd twist up a shaft. If I kept it on the ground, I LOVED the handling. I could finally apply power in a corner....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by franzD1 View Post

GPM Racing Products
    What can you tell us about these?
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Qualifier
    I went with slash 4x4 shafts and I run 3s. Its been a year now and the shafts are still in great condition. The stock VXL shaft would twist or snap after a few runs
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Enthusiast
    I've got the MIP X-Duty tele steel shafts and my god are they are beefy, you will never break one.. Two issues with them - the screws need re tightening without locktite, and you need to clearance a rod end a little bit.