RC Competitor

How many fans can the Traxxas Receiver run? Limit of 2? More?

How many fans can the Traxxas Receiver run?
    Limit of 2?
    More?
    4x4 Ultimate (Slayden Suspension<Big Improvement!)

RC Champion
    If you are connecting fans to the RX then they are getting power from your ESC's internal bec

Any extra load on the internal bec can cause issues

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Racer
    I had three hooked up to my esc and started to have problems. Hooked them up to a 6 volt battery mounted behind my front bumper. Works great get at least 2 hrs of fan run time with no extra load on esc

RC Racer
    I believe it's one of the esc and you can run another one through the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Sorry as long as the channel is open you can take it up with a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldblue72 View Post
    I had three hooked up to my esc and started to have problems. Hooked them up to a 6 volt battery mounted behind my front bumper. Works great get at least 2 hrs of fan run time with no extra load on esc
    Thanks, I though I had seen that some folks were having issues with more than two total.
    I had been running the Traxxas model that is designed to snap on to the ESC, and I had wire-spliced a second one for the motor. I'll skip adding a third one, thanks!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlToye View Post
    Thanks, I though I had seen that some folks were having issues with more than two total.
    I had been running the Traxxas model that is designed to snap on to the ESC, and I had wire-spliced a second one for the motor. I'll skip adding a third one, thanks!
    if you need 3 fans your covering up the problem, not addressing it.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    if you need 3 fans your covering up the problem, not addressing it.
    Good Point. I agree.
    I was just leaning toward "the cooler the better" especially with summer approaching.
    I came across a "double stack" fan unit that would bring the total fans to 3) including the one on the VXL ESC.
    I'm also using a Traxxas receiver in another application...

RC Competitor
    i have three fans.!
    1 on my esc connected with my bat
    1 on my motor connected in my receiver box
    1 on my body (cut it properly) connected with a 2s 1300mah 7.4v ******* lipo bat.. mounted on my body.

NO PROBS!!

RC Qualifier
    A reciever that gets it's power from a single BEC or reciever pack lead can normally handle 3-5 amps without a problem, the BEC in the Velineon ESC is rated at 2.5A, standard sized digital servos can draw 1A-2A at full power leaving about .5 to run acessories. Just tested my stock VXL ESC fan at .25A@6V for 1.5W. So you can run 2 that size and the steering servo can still go to full power(with some room to spare) without exceeding the BEC capacity and reducing voltage to the reciever. I'm not sure if the Velineon fan port is run off of the internal BEC, but most others are. You can always use a separate BEC that has a higher rating, and run it direct from the battery leads if you need more capacity, some brands can even have multiple BECs run parallel into differerent RX ports. Managing BEC ratings with servo and accessory draw is more something you run into with aircraft than surface stuff.

Fans can help lower temps a little, but ultimately your motor setup and gearing will generate the heat, heatsinks will help get that heat out of the electronics. If the setup builds too much heat, a fan won't help, if the heatsink is inefficient, or you aren't using one, then fans won't help. The fans also work mostly at slow speeds, when you are going faster, they can actually block airflow to components and can't move air as fast as a couple strategic cutouts in the body. If you have already tried reducing gearing, cutting the body for increased airflow, and adding decent heat sinks, and find the temps are slow to reduce when you slow down, then a fan will help, if the little stock ones aren't enough a larger fan will move more air eficiently than a lot of small ones.

RC Competitor
    Thanks alucard,
    Great information as usual