Thread: New Slash Owner

RC poster

New Slash Owner

Hello everyone, new guy (Scott) here. I have been thinking about getting a Traxxas Slash for a while now...and when the Robby Gordon Edition Slash was announced I couldn't resist any longer. I had the truck out for the first time today...and I think I am going to be hooked.

I am going to work on building a small track in my backyard to practice for now, and my buddy who has some experience in RC is going to teach me a few things...but in the end I think this could turn into a new hobby (racing). I don't want to do anything too serious though, just for fun.

I have a few first questions;

1.) Can someone recommend a decent battery? I want to stick with NiMH for now. I would like to pick up 2-3 spare batteries so I can have a nice solid day at the track when I go. Should I just stick with the Traxxas batteries? or are there better alternatives for the money? Will other batteries (non-Traxxas) be easily compatible with the Slash?

2.) Can someone recommend a decent quick charger? 8 hours is FOREVER!!!

3.) I don't want to do any crazy modifications right now. I want to learn the truck. However, are there any MUST DO's out of the box? Any recommendations?

I have another quick question (I am sure there will be many more questions later) about the contents of my factory Slash box. I understood what most of everything was...but I can't figure out everything in these two bags. Any help?

Thanks to everyone for the help! If you have any other recommendations...let me know!

RC Qualifier
    i`d choose 8.4v matched cells 5000mah in a nimh get at least 2 or more , as for a charger i like my hightech , it can charge anything 4 packs at a time . what ever you choose for a charger make sure it can handle lipo`s . you may not want them now but you will later .

Top bag is the plastic washers you put between the lid (body) and the body mounts so the pins won't scratch the body. Pins are also in the bag.

Can't tell what the bottom bag is without seeing it from a different angle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Forgot to say, WELCOME TO THE RC CLUB!!!!!
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Bottom bag looks like the battery spacer. If you have a small battery it will stop it from sliding around. 5000 nimh is a big difference from the stock 3000. But, if you look around good lipos can be had for lees then you think. I have the Onyx charger and like it. Look around on local rc shops forums or on CL and you should be able to find a good charger cheap. Make sure to get one that does lipos. Even if you don't get lipos now you will want one pretty quick. As far as upgrades replace stuff as it breaks, but keep a pair of steering knuckles and such around especially if you don't have a RC shop close by.
    Good luck,
    Slash 4x4 Platinum
    Slash 2wd
    Tamiya TA05 v2 VTA

RC Qualifier
    5000 mah 8.4v Nimh will do the job for now, get 2-3 of them, they will last for about 20-25 mins. for charger i use my Hyperion 0606i, it doesnt charge 4 batteries at the same time like they guy posted above me, but its taking about 50-1 hour charging time to charge fulyl dead 5000 mah battery... YES BUY A CHARGER THAT WILL CHARGE LIPOS otherwise ull waste your money, 90% of newbies change to lipos later on, because it is up to 40 mins run time + better speeds. About those bags, i cant really tell u anything because i never bought a new traxxas product, all of my cars are used, second handed, so i usually end up buy additional parts for them
    Hope that helped

RC Qualifier
    fxman is right
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If you have to buy a charger, get one that is lipo capable. In many cases, a good lipo is cheaper than good nimh packs. Check out spc. They have a great 5000 mah for under $30. Your not gonna find many nimh's for less. I am pushing the lipo because you may spend 100-$150 now on 3 packs and a charger, and then 2 months down the road as your experience catches up, your gonna have to spend another $150 to get the better performing packs and charger. If you are dead set on running nimh packs, then at least get a charger that can juice both nimh and lipo. You will save money in the end.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Ha! Your hooked now brother! You chose a great vehicle to start with too.

Welcome to the club!
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Qualifier
    welcome to the forum, i suggest lipo's they a bout the same pric wise but preformance is better and they seem to last longer. as for a charger onyx makes some good ones, i also like venom products, but my new favourite, for a little more money, is the traxxas easy peak plus.
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn