RC Qualifier

New to rc boats... have a idea tell me if it will work.

Ok so i am new to RC boats... that being said i have been reading upp on them. turns out they flip alot and then you look likea looser swimming to go and get it. Could i put a gyro onto a boat so it would never flip? i have a 100mph +rustler that i use a gyro on so it wont flip over and helps it drive straight. do you thik a gyro would help a boat not roll over? thanks for help
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Racer
    Most upside-down ordeals are a result of high-speed blowovers. No gyro would prevent this. This is half the fun--pushing the boat to the limit with the boat up on plane. Any gust of wind or ripple of wake water can cause a sudden blowover when the boat is on its knife edge obtaining max speed.

Maybe a parachute device would work better! LOL!

But seriously, let us know how your testing goes, if you, in fact, try a mechanism like this.

RC Qualifier
    lol thanks for the comment. i did find a youtube video of a guy who is developing a gyro for his boat. i have emailed him to see if i can get in on it.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Racer
    See my recent post about building a rescue rig. You WILL need one eventually as your boat WILL get upside down.

RC Qualifier
    Word of advice.. don't swim after your boat. Regardless of how well you can swim it's not worth the risk. Build a rescue rig, take a long fishing rod (I believe you Americans call them a fishing pole) or buy a single person inflatable boat.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Racer
    I thought of always using a cheap second boat and use about 10" rod to hold a fishing line on back of rescue boat and at other end of line add a magnet working 2" of a white n red floating buoy attached to fishing line. Then add one or two magnets to inner front bow of boat. That way u drive rescue up to front of bow and when magnets attach as u pull forward it will slip Spartan over since magnet will be on top of boat on inside. Cheap, simple. Effective!

RC Qualifier
    i am using a gyro on my new boat to control the trim tabs we will see how it works
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy711 View Post
    Word of advice.. don't swim after your boat. Regardless of how well you can swim it's not worth the risk. Build a rescue rig, take a long fishing rod (I believe you Americans call them a fishing pole) or buy a single person inflatable boat.
    I ran both my boats today but I wore my drysuit and dry gloves. I also bring my mask,snorkle and fins. I was very comfortable swimming around the 36 degree water. I am a professional diver and I have trained resue personal to be divers and also to perform search and rescue. With the drysuit you float very well so it is almost impossible to even go under the water. I only bring this up because unless you are trained and have the proper equipment should you ever swim for your boat. Body recoveries are no fun.

RC Champion
    Back in Sept I started working on a gyro controlled servo that controls a pair of adjustable hinged trim tabs. I used a fast acting servo .....but it was not strong enough to hold it's adjusted position when running at higher speeds... bad choice on my part for the servo I chose. After more hours of testing than I can remember I set that idea aside for the time being.

But......ducati777 on the Slash forum used a gyro connected to his speed control to control wheelies during high speed runs and suggested I try connecting a gyro to the ESC on the Spartan.... Well it works and works pretty good!!!! I have only been able to achieve a top speed of 57.4 mph but the boat I have done this to has never gone over. Just as soon as the bow lifts more than an inch the throttle shuts off bringing the bow back down to the neutral level then resumes throttle speed to where ever you have it positioned.... The qyro turns throttle speed up and down faster than you can think it.
    The secret to this is when you apply power to the boat is not to have it level....I had to raise the bow about 3/4 to 1 inch and then apply power..
    I believe to have gyro controlled trim tabs to be the better route but maybe [B]MAMBA[/B ]will have better luck then me...
    Last edited by orca44; 04-03-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    i am actually having a servo special built for the speed and power requirements and trust me i am PAYING FOR IT my old boat had a top speed of 67.9mph and that was fast almost to fast but with my new boat i am pushing for 75-80mph and that is why im taking so long to build it i race boats 1:1 and im taking some things from my race boat and scaling down my 1:1 goes 0- 115 in a quarter so i would love to take a plastic hull rc boat and hurt the feelings of the so many out there that says the only rc boat is made of fiberglass
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Champion
    MAMBA... Did you experience what I did as far as the servo not holding it's position because of the preasure of the water against the trim tabs at high speeds, therefore causing the servo to move out of position before the bow lifted?
    Last edited by orca44; 04-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    i am using a gyro on my new boat to control the trim tabs we will see how it works
    Wenn Sie neu in rc Boote sind und haben keine weiteren Informationen über boats.Then Sie versuchen die erste und dann so on.First Sie versuchen, ein Pfeil wind 01.16 begginner RC Boote.It ist hilfreich für Sie.....
    erfahren Sie mehr

RC Qualifier
    I wish Traxxas should make a fibreglass edition on the Spartan, that would be the Spartan 2.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    i am actually having a servo special built for the speed and power requirements and trust me i am PAYING FOR IT my old boat had a top speed of 67.9mph and that was fast almost to fast but with my new boat i am pushing for 75-80mph and that is why im taking so long to build it i race boats 1:1 and im taking some things from my race boat and scaling down my 1:1 goes 0- 115 in a quarter so i would love to take a plastic hull rc boat and hurt the feelings of the so many out there that says the only rc boat is made of fiberglass
    But what about when your boat splits apart

One way of not having to worry about your boat flipping is to run in glass conditions. My Spartan runs great when I take it to a pond with static water. You can really push it and not have to worry about the boat flipping.

Or you could just buy a bigger boat

RC Qualifier
    Everyone, whether you have a Big or Smaller boats it depends on the Driving, Driver, adjustment and weather conditions. This will apply on experience and experimenting with your own adjustment which is a part of the hobby nothing else you could argue with many things here.

RC Enthusiast
    here's what happens when you drive in ocean water ****

RC Enthusiast
    I have a question... why is it such a big deal to not go swimming after your boat? Most people go swimming all the time for no reason? So why wouldn't someone swim after there $500 toy??

I usually do the fishing pole method and it works but one day i stood there for hours trying to retrieve it back with the pole.. no luck.. it was nose up too.. we even tried to tie off to lines and get on both sides of the pond to ease the boat in but no luck with that either.. and there was no wind either to let it float downstream like it says to do in the instructions? So what did i do.. i jumped in and got that sucker!! LOL wouldnt say I was a loser for doing that either I wasnt gonna let $500 just sit there.. so why is it important to not go swimming after you half sunk boat?

RC Qualifier
    Well that is your last option, For me I have my rescue rig built just for my Spartan with an EVX2 Titan 750 motor, it won't let me down.

Last edited by Edgemoulic; 01-22-2013 at 11:42 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    Well that is your last option, For me I have my rescue rig built just for my Spartan with an EVX2 Titan 750 motor, it won't let me down.
    That is an awesome rig you got edgemoulic!! I'm looking to build like in the spartan pic thread.. with the little outboard.

Will this rig work also if your boat is nose up and takin on water??

RC Qualifier
    The image on the bottom with the shorter pipe is the one I use when nose up, the long one I use when stalled. A lot of use on this rig especially when windy. All were detachable for easy transportation.

RC poster
    I have just purchased my first ever rc boats that's a Spartan. I think that the diameter should be 1.6 to 1.7 with a pitch of 2.4 to 2.5. You want to know about the best selection of rc boats at the lowest prices visit HobbyTron.com today.