Thread: Shift servo

RC Competitor

Shift servo

Hey guys my shift servo all of a sudden just stopped working so I figured it died and got a new one. I got a 2065 and swapped it in easily enough but while I was adjusting the throw it started making weird noises. Sometimes it moves like in the video and sometimes it just makes that clicking noise, since it's brand new I don't think there's anything wrong with it but maybe I screwed it. Though it usually takes me more than an hour to do that.

http://youtu.be/dvJUWOVsZzM

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like you did what i did and tightened the screw to tight to hold the horn down and broke the plastic gear on the inside? 4 screws pulls it apart and when it comes apart you will be able to tell.

When tightening any servo horn screw ,hold the horn tightly just a good habit to get into. The micros are delicate little creatures... Lol. If the other one has good gears use them and order or buy a couple kits for rebuilding, because if you do they of course will never break again... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

looks like you need to adjust it some more... maybe not....

with the linkage unhook, does the servo still work..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    my shift servo gave up the ghost on its first run after some twitchy behavior.

i find that the best way to shift is while the truck is moving slowly (without load) as it puts less stress on the servo (instead of forcing it to move but unable to shift). you also might want to consider a new lightweight digital servo - works better than an analogue one for the hi/lo shift. ones used for RC helis/planes are right size and can be easily given a water resistant treatment with plastidip or silicone.

RC Competitor
    apparently I just tightened down the screw to tight and now it just doesn't work so I got a different metal geared one from hitec. I kinda wish traxxas would make metal gear ones though. Either way with over 83 oz in at 6v it should shift like crazy.

RC Racer
    I have broken them tightening the screw as well. Use parts from the old servo to fix the new servo and save it for extra. What servo did you buy from hitec? I buy lots of traxxas parts but no more of their servos.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dggsshwn View Post
    apparently I just tightened down the screw to tight and now it just doesn't work so I got a different metal geared one from hitec. I kinda wish traxxas would make metal gear ones though. Either way with over 83 oz in at 6v it should shift like crazy.
    So the little servoes are a standard "mini" or micro size? that you can exchange a different brand and will fit? I was thinking these maybe are special size just for the Summit. I have a single servoe steering with HiTec, so I already have not waterproofing anymore. I may like to put new mini servoes in as well. Please supply the model of the Hitec servoe?
    Last edited by tmfd60; 04-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    I don't know what size the traxxas servos are but I got a hitec HS-65mg mighty feather servo.
    the specs at 6v are:
    speed 0.11/60 deg
    torque 83.32 oz-in
    weight 0.44 oz
    size 0.92 X 0.45 X 0.94 in
    the price at my lhs was $32 so thats only $2-3 more than the traxxas 2065.
    I'm having problems mounting it right now though because the mounting holes on the servo are too small and the screws that come with it are too thin. Also the holes on the horn need to be enlarged to fit the wire piece in it. I'll post back when I get it done.

RC Competitor
    I've either been busy with work or sick for a week or two but finally got it fitted. Had to take a drill and widen out the holes for the mounting screws to fit. I don't remember how big, but the mounting screws for the stocker now tread though the servo too. Ohh and because the servo is a little taller than the stock one I turned the wire connecter upside round so it would fit on the horn without having to bend it like I thought I might. My only problem is I think I somehow need to adjust the throw a bit still more testing on that though.