RC poster

TQi Tx Problem With Multiple Model Recognition

Hi All,

A few days ago I bought a new TQi Tx, with iPod dock and matching Rx, from our LHS. This was originally part of an Ultimate Slash package and was kept by the shop as the buyer decided to use his existing Spektrum radio system.

I installed the Rx in my XTM Rail and after going through the firmware update dance had no problem binding and using the TQi, with attached Gen 2 iPod Touch. It's really nice and works great!

Next I bound my nearly new 1/16 Traxxas Kyle Busch to the TQi. That worked just fine too.

But here's the problem. Both models show in the Tx Model Memory, but I can only operate whichever one I last bound to. So after I bound to the second one, I can only operate that one, unless I rebind to the first one, and then can only run it. That, obviously,is not how it's supposed to be.

I spent several hours off and on trying different things, including clearing the Tx entirely, binding with and without the iPod connected, and so on. No luck. Also uninstalled and reinstalled the Link software, with no joy.

So, what might be wrong? I'm hoping I've overlooked something ...

Any help will be greatly appreciated and in any event thanks for listening!

RC Competitor
    Is the 1/16 car a tqi receiver?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    Is the 1/16 car a tqi receiver?
    It's the stock Rx that came in the model and according to T's listing should be compatible, and also it does bind properly to the TQi, and all functions of the Tx and the iPod interface work with it. Just as they all work with the other receiver. Both receivers show in the TQi Tx memory as present and linked, but the Tx only will operate whichever one was most recently bound.

RC Competitor
    Tricky to tell what the issue is. I've had problems similar where it would only bind to one receiver at a time, but I never fixed that problem. What I might do tomorrow is get my spare cars and set all four up, 2 as tqi receivers and 2 as 2.4 receivers and see how it goes with the recognition.
    Will report back.

RC Competitor
    Well it took me 2 hours of messing around, but I've so far beenn able to get three TQI vehicles and two 2.4 cars to all work with my 4ch radio with the phone. All functions and all channels are working.

The thing to remember though is you need to turn the remote and all vehicles off before turning on what you want to use. If anything is left on at any stage, the thing won't automatically bind.

Thats lucky for me, however the exact problem you have happened on one of my other TQI remotes before it outright died, and yet another TQI remote only has functioning steering on 2.4 receivers.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    Well it took me 2 hours of messing around, but I've so far been able to get three TQI vehicles and two 2.4 cars to all work with my 4ch radio with the phone. All functions and all channels are working.

The thing to remember though is you need to turn the remote and all vehicles off before turning on what you want to use. If anything is left on at any stage, the thing won't automatically bind.

Thats lucky for me, however the exact problem you have happened on one of my other TQI remotes before it outright died, and yet another TQI remote only has functioning steering on 2.4 receivers.
    Thanks, Harley, I appreciate the tips. Meanwhile, Traxxas Support responded yesterday to a copy of my original post (at the top of this thread) which I had emailed them. I must say that I was very impressed with the clear and detailed response, which came in about 48 hours, certainly a reasonable time frame. Not only was the advice well presented, but it worked!! Basically it involved doing a "factory" reset on the TQi Tx. This is not the same thing as clearing the Tx to defaults, as described in the manual. Since the steps to do this are not published by Traxxas I wouldn't feel right about posting them here - I'm sure Traxxas will issue them as needed, so that's where to ask if someone has these same symptoms. (PM me if you want to discuss this further...)

One other thing is that the iPod functions seem to work fine, but the vehicle icon at upper right remains red. I think it's lying...

I suspect between all of this and maybe other reported issues we'll be seeing software/firmware updates before long. But meanwhile, it does (finally) work as advertised and it's cool.

RC poster
    Hey can u help me make my rustler and my grave digger work off the same control I have everything but I have the same problem everybody els has thanks