RC Competitor

Steering Servo Adjustment on New XL-5

Hi All,
    I just picked up another Stampede XL-5 tonight and right out of the box the steering over steers hard left but barely turns right.

If I center the wheels when the ESC is off, then turn on the ESC the wheels will turn left slightly, enough that aI have to run trim to the right almost 100 percent.

If the vehicle is off I an turn the wheels fully both directions so it leads me to believe i need to adjust something at the servo.

Any help is extremely appreciated. Oh, I might wake up SnowFighter since its only 11 pm:-)

Thanks,
    Don

PS: I did see this thread but had no understanding of horns and the process they were talking about.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ing+adjustment

If you also have resetted the steering end points and stuff like that, it could be an issue that I had before.
    One of the transmitters allows the potentiometer not enough travel to be able to steer all the way left and right. When you turn it with some force, it will steer further. If it is a new one, I would go back to the store.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply Peter.

If I power up the car you can see the steering servo offset left instead of centered. I attempted to just loosen the piece on top of the servo and center it but it seems that it has only a specific point to lock down to so that is not adjustable.

Hate to have to drive back and exchange it :-(

I think the gear on the servo has 24 teeth, so you should be able to move it by steps of 15 degrees. Do you have the 27MHz system or the 2.4GHz?

RC Champion
    Try this with the truck and the radio. Zero your steering trim on you radio. Take off the thing on top of your servo "bell horn" and put it back on with your wheels straight.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    Try this with the truck and the radio. Zero your steering trim on you radio. Take off the thing on top of your servo "bell horn" and put it back on with your wheels straight.
    Thanks for the reply. I tried this and when the bell horn is pushed back down the teeth force it to that sight left position. This causes the steering to not turn as far right as it does left.
    I did put in the 2.6ghz to use my DX3C controller so I set the sub trim to compensate the alignment issue so hopefully that does the trick.

RC Competitor
    Well, even with the sub trim adjusted I still use up 70 percent plus of the steering trim to get it to track straight. I also though I remember that my 1st Pede almost flipped over hitting the throttle with a full battery right out of the box and this don't come close to lifting the front wheels. hmmmm.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donlisk View Post
    Well, even with the sub trim adjusted I still use up 70 percent plus of the steering trim to get it to track straight. I also though I remember that my 1st Pede almost flipped over hitting the throttle with a full battery right out of the box and this don't come close to lifting the front wheels. hmmmm.
    Well, got the throttle/power worked out. The set the controller's travel to 125 percent on throttle setting.

I can live with the large amount of adjustment on the steering but i may still call and see if they will send me a replacement servo.

You can also adjust the length of the rod that connects the servo saver to the bell crank. The ends have different thread directions, so turning it one way makes it shorter and the other way it gets longer.

Edit: wait, this is not the Rustler forum.... correction: you can adjust the turnbuckles that connect the servo saver to the axle carriers the same way.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 04-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    To correct the steering:

Take servo saver (horn) off, put all steering trim at 0, turn on the remote and the truck, then put the servo saver (horn) back on straight. Remember: The remote and truck both need to be powered on with the steering trim at 0 before you put the servo saver (horn) back on straight.

As for the throttle control setting, you'll need to recalibrate your transmitter with the esc. Follow the instructions on transmitter setup for aftermarket transmitters in the instructions below, then perform the vxl-3s setup programming for calibrating your esc and transmitter also in the instructions below. This should get you where you need to be. Hope this helps. Good luck!

For XL-5:

For vxl:

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 04-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    (quote) Oh, I might wake up SnowFighter since its only 11 pm:-)(quote)
    I would have been sleeping ^^^.LOL.
    He just left with his new Pede.I took a look at it.All he has to do is adjust the steering links.The steering is not that far off.Just a hair.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    (quote) Oh, I might wake up SnowFighter since its only 11 pm:-)(quote)
    I would have been sleeping ^^^.LOL.
    He just left with his new Pede.I took a look at it.All he has to do is adjust the steering links.The steering is not that far off.Just a hair.

I just need to now order some goodies and more power now :-)

RC Champion
    Now your talking.CC 3800 comb.
    Funny were are talking on the puter.You live 100ft.From me.
    Balancing+ charging my lipos.Should be ready later if it dose not rain.

RC Competitor
    Just ordered front bumper and wheelie bar off eBay :-)

RC Competitor
    Update: I decided to put the 27mhz original radio back in and use the supplied controller to see what changes I would see in the steering. Well, I now have full steering both left and right and I have to use about 50 percent on trim to keep it running straight. At least I have the full left and right turning corrected with this.

So, what is wrong with the sr300 receiver? Install or setting issues?
    I guess I'll have to break out that manual and learn something today :-)
    Last edited by Donlisk; 04-02-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling errors

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lucky, wish I had someone 100ft away to RC with!
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    Don i will meet you in the street around 6pm. Snow
    Come all charged up lol.
    Captain.It is nice ti have someone so close.A buddy of ours run nitro T-Maxx3.3 and a nitro sport. and he is about 300ft away.

RC Competitor
    See you at 6.

I need to get more batteries :-) SPC is backordered on the 5000mah Li-Po right now but I'll try to get an order in anyway.

RC Champion
    You can call them and Tom will put you on a list.When the come in he will call or e-mail you.
    Get on the list that way you are sure to get what you want.SPC batteries go fast.
    I'am going to call Corey to see if he got any fuel today.Maybe he will come up.
    Promatch make some good lipos also.They had some 2s 5200 for like 36.00 on sale.
    Last edited by snowfighter; 04-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    Wow, I need to wear a hat, my ears are killing me from that cold wind.

I'll call SPC tomorrow. I think two should be more than enough.