Thread: esc up in smoke

RC poster

esc up in smoke

so i was using my slash the other day running the factory batteries and out of no where it stopped and then white smoke came out of the esc.

i am thinking that since i am just past 30 days of owning this i am screwed.

sucks that traxxas makes a product that cant perform much longer then a month...

is there anything i can do or am i SOL?

i can see this thing getting put away in a box and collecting dust

RC Competitor
    that is what happened to me too..
    i had my slash 4x4 for a month and the esc got burnt...
    i bought a cc mamba max esc and i am happy again!!
    i have changed the motor too..
    Last edited by FOTIS; 03-31-2012 at 08:11 AM.

RC Competitor
    Call the tech line at Traxxas and talk with them. I have found that for new product failures they will often due a courtesy replacment. Very good service.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxdad1 View Post
    Call the tech line at Traxxas and talk with them. I have found that for new product failures they will often due a courtesy replacment. Very good service.
    he can not.. electronics hAve 30day warranty.
    that is what they told me..

RC Competitor
    I have to disagree as i have had two Vellion BL fail after the warranty and they did a courtesy replacment. I had to pay shipping to them only. If you look at other post/ threads this is more common than not depending on the age of the part. Then again I live in the USA and sure shipping to Crete would not be cost effective.

RC Qualifier
    U can find a used esc for 40 or 50 bucks all over the place. I just sold one for 50. Lots of people upgrade and sell their used stuff. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    where would i ship it to? (exact address)

i think i might just ship it to them with an explanation of what happened and see what comes of it. worse case i am out a esc, which isnt any worse then i am now.

RC poster
    are aftermarket motors/esc waterproof like the factory ones?

RC Competitor
    Exactly... most/ some are water resistant but not touted as waterproof like Traxxas promotes.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FOTIS View Post
    he can not.. electronics hAve 30day warranty.
    that is what they told me..
    Not what they told me

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-my-ESC-today

My Slash was 2 years old and they sent me a brand new replacement no questions asked (not even an RMA#)

RC Qualifier
    Don't make it harder that what it is just give them a call. They have replaced many esc's for me that was over the 30 day mark

RC Competitor
    Told me i had to pay 55 to send it in 2 months old and not even used that much, when i get it replaced its going straight up for sale. Also forgot that the bearing siezed in the motor when it was 2 weeks old never ran anywhere but a track and my driveway when it was dry, they did send me replacement bearings but the esc dying sucked...
    Last edited by raw111; 03-31-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by raw111 View Post
    Told me i had to pay 55 to send it in 2 months old and not even used that much, when i get it replaced its going straight up for sale. Also forgot that the bearing siezed in the motor when it was 2 weeks old never ran anywhere but a track and my driveway when it was dry, they did send me replacement bearings but the esc dying sucked...
    That is exactly what they told me too, there seems to be a problem with a part of the ESC, because that's exactly what happened to mine, and that only happened 3 days after I got my slash, they sent me a new one, I only got about 6-7 uses out of that before it did it again, and because it was winter I didn't run it. and so because I had waited 5 months, they said I was SoL, he said maybe had I been just under 2 months he'd give me some slack. But the guy that sent snake eater his for free, he either had a warranty on it from somewhere else, or somebody at traxxas was stretching his job title. The guy told me I had to pay 55 to send mine in, pretty useless when you can just get a cheap ESC that's button wont get stuck, or fry with the ease that the stock VXL ones do for close to the same price. Anyone that says they got theirs for free or replaced 2 years later can go read their replacement policy on the site

Quote from the site itself :

In addition to these warranties, Traxxas offers an extended service plan for electronic components after the 30-day warranty has expired. This plan states that Traxxas will repair electronic components, excluding speed controls, at any time throughout the life of the part, for a flat rate of $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling.

Traxxas will also repair electronic speed controls (ESCs) at any time throughout the life of the part for a flat rate plus $5.00 for shipping and handling. The repair rate varies with the ESC model - And you can look at that Flat Rate here http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...rranty_ESP.pdf

So snake eater got his by a staff member not doing his job right. after 30 days, It's just best to get a Hobbywing SC8 ESC - for around $80

The ONLY thing factory ESC's have going for them is their ability to claim "waterproof" The button getting stuck, and vehical stopping to a complete halt and then the ESC going up in smoke are fairly common, happened to me 2x in a row with just NiMH batteries.
    Last edited by Themadcat945; 04-01-2012 at 01:47 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I also had one give up the ghost recently and had a new one in under two weeks, free of charge thanks to Traxxas. Can't hurt to call them

RC Enthusiast
    We bought 2 stampede 4x4 bl vxl. Trucks last week. Running 2s lipos on the one truck no issues. The other burned a motor and esc after one week so the replaced it. 2 packs through it and the esc is fried again. Super unhappy I've spent over 2k in 8 days on 2 trucks parts hop ups and batteries only to wonder how long the esc will make it till it puffs smoke. I used to think nitro was bad for issues but this is ridiculous.

RC poster
    it sounds like its not even worth going back to a traxxas esc even if they replace it for free because ur just going to have to replace it again i guess.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by scutt View Post
    it sounds like its not even worth going back to a traxxas esc even if they replace it for free because ur just going to have to replace it again i guess.
    Right, so if you can afford an 80 dollar ESC, get the one I listed up there. depending on what you want to do with it, and you can do a do it yourself waterproofing if its a must, Jang from URC has a video on how he did a castle ESC. As much as I love Traxxas' chassis, the slash is a proven chassis and does what it does well, its a basher chassis and its very well built, the ESC's on the other hand, they are what they are. Shop around and/or make a thread on "suggestions for a new/budget ESC with good support" You'll get lots of support here

RC Enthusiast
    Blew one again today. What's the best aftermarket combo out there? And anyone want to buy a stock vxl motor and esc?

RC Racer
    Mamba monster 2650 combo, it's a beast on 3s

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Get the Castle 2400 sct system! It is great! It runs cooler and theamba Max Pro is proven to be a reliable esc! I have had a MMP for over a year and a half without any problems. I just mated that with the 2400 motor. I've had my 2400 sct system for over a year without any problems.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxdad1 View Post
    I just sent mine back. Didn't even have it a week and nada, zilch nuthin....... wouldn't even turn on.

A phone is simple.

SS

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Get the Castle 2400 sct system! It is great! It runs cooler and theamba Max Pro is proven to be a reliable esc! I have had a MMP for over a year and a half without any problems. I just mated that with the 2400 motor. I've had my 2400 sct system for over a year without any problems.
    Gotta agree with that..... well, except with all the extra power comes great throttle responsibility.

SS

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not worried about the warranty at all. Its the inconvenience of going back and fourth. I've already fixed all the weak points on the truck, now if the electronics would hold up. I'm not abusing it at all they just don't last. Been monitoring temps and all. Truck will run fine and bam done