RC poster

Not shifting - About to strip down to transmission - Any help would be nice

Anyone have any advice for taking apart my Slayer so I can change the clutch?
    Do you pretty much need to take the truck apart?
    A video or some helpful advice would be great.

RC Racer
    there are some videos on youtube I looked up revo transmission rebuild some of them go step by step. Also check out the exploded view http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...smission_0.pdf

Flip over, remove the four screws holding the tranny to the skidplate and chassis, remove the two pins holding the center shafts to the tranny output shaft. Flip right side up and remove the linkage to the brake and pull the tranny out. If you want to change the clutch, then you need to remove the engine: four screws holding it to the mount, the screw holding the pipe down, the pin holding the air filter and remove the fuel lines. Both can be out in less than 5 minutes.
    The Super Derecho

Before you take anything apart, check a few things to see why it's not shifting. There are 3 main causes that can make it not shift.
    1) Shift screw is set to shift too early causing the trans to essentially start off in second gear. The truck will still seem fast but not shift.
    2) Shift screw is set to shift too late keeping the trans in first and not allowing it to shift. Truck will seem slow with high RPM's.
    3) Slipper clutch on trans too loose. RPM's will be sluggish and truck will be slow and the slipper will get very hot.

Start with the shift adjustment screw if you can already rule out the slipper. You want the top of the screw flush with the hole it threads into, this is just a starting point. Then take it to a parking lot and do some passes making small shift adjustments to find a spot where you want it to shift. If that doesn't work, then break out the wrenches.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-31-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Also check your tune before you adjust the trans. most of the time a trans. will not shift is because your not getting enough rpm's to allow it to shift.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC poster
    Thanks a ton guys. Really is appreciated.

I'm going to start it up pretty soon to do a diagnostic run to see what may be up. This should help me and I will come back with more information later.
    Just rolling the truck around it has a grinding noise coming from the gears.

RC Champion
    Most likely just the differentials.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    It does feel like the diffs. Is that a normal sounds?

Couldn't get it started, gonna try heating the engine a bit.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPITUP-SLAYTO View Post
    It does feel like the diffs. Is that a normal sounds?

Couldn't get it started, gonna try heating the engine a bit.
    It's normal and won't cause any problems unless you notice binding or something.
    Some people go to extremes and upgrade the diff cups just to get rid of the sound, I ran a T-maxx that emitted that sound for over three years and the gears still looked perfect when I re-lubricated them.

I wouldn't worry about it man, hope you get it started.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    Got it started. Was warming it up in a open lot and went to give it full throttle and it stopped dead..... Crack in the transmission housing says I have some work to do....

RC poster
    For me it's usually low receiver batteries causing my throttle servo to not fully open the carb. Sometimes it's a bad tune.

RC poster
    Sweet, all rebuilt and repaired and running nicely and shifting well. The video by nitromad48 on youtube was most useful.

Now just need to work on the tipping over issue

Stoked!

Do you have the sway bars? It will help a lot to get them.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran