Thread: Diff shims?

RC Racer

Diff shims?

Finally got around to replacing my rear ring and pinion gears. I expected them to look bad. There is no visible wear to my eyes. I'll replace them anyway. Question is, do I need to shim? I put two in and it was crunchy and tight. One shim gets rough on what seems to be a high spot. It sounds and feels best with no shims. Input welcome!
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    I just shimmed 5 one that was new even needed one it seems to help them out no play now on any of them.
    Tried using two shems but wouldn't hardly move so one worked for me just fine.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    when i convert my revo diff to e-revo, i didnt put the shim cause its got too much gear rubbing/grinding when i closed it.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Racer
    Ok. The other issue I have is with the pinion gear (hooks up to the center drive shaft). It has a lot of play. All my bearings and the diff housing look good. If I spin the shaft and hold tension toward the diff, the mesh gets really tight. Is this normal? I hope I've explained this clear enough. Thanks.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Racer
    I put it back together and it works. It all seems a little loose. Just doesn't seem very robust. It's still the best RC truck I've owned.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Just put a shim on the outside of the pinion shaft. That should keep it from moving in and destroying itself.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    Just put a shim on the outside of the pinion shaft. That should keep it from moving in and destroying itself.
    That makes sense. There is a lot of play there. Mine may require more than one shim. I'll do that next time I have it apart. Thanks.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx