RC Competitor

T5 Brushless Revo

Well I have asked Traxxas to build this and with the world as it is, It's not likely. So I'll build you one and show you how to make your owen. I have scale and weight in mine. So this should be a great build. Most of the parts at first will be Traxxas. This is a large Truck so I my beef up the parts to keep up with the larger scale.
    So here is what I have started. I cut a 3.3 style frame and added more Aluminium to get 5 more inches out of the wheel base. This my change when I get the Proline Desertrat t5 body kit in. I installed a Hitech HSC5998TG servo and a LRP Vector8 2500kv brushless motor. The speed control I just ordered is a ezrun 150 that can handel 6s. So Power is going to be good. I also ordered new revo axles that I will be using as drivelines. I will be using Redcat battery hold downs. I haven't ordered them yet, but I have them in my Rampage XB-E and I like them. I will be installing a skid plate that serves as a battery hold down mount and it will cover the drivetrain. What I get mosty with this is a way to keep air from going under the large body. I will also keep the body from rattleling. I have also got 24mm hub adapters on the way so that I can run 1/5 scale rims and tires. This will cause some concerns as it will add mass and weight is never a good thing. I have been looking at a metal gear box the is in the HPI Flux. I have the flux motor mount in my hobby room already. So adding a larger motor to this build is something that I my look at in the future.

RC Competitor

This picture shows my 1/5 scale Redcat rampage XBE next to the Revo to show size.

RC Competitor

these are the parts that I'm waiting for.

RC Competitor
    Here Are some pictures of the first 1/5 scale I ever built.

RC Competitor
    I hate to say this but the one thing I don't like about the E-Revos is the motor mount! It sits in the air and is flimsy. It's hard on the motor and also the gears. The center of gravity is raised and large hp motors torgue. The motor harmonics suck as well. So here is what I did. I covers everything that traxxas left out.

I also started my 2nd frame(I allways build 2) less stress on the build this way. I got thr material at my favorite place to shop, a scrap yard. I will show the other end when the body comes in, so that I get the wheel base right.

RC Competitor
    The build is looking good! I love large scale.

RC Competitor
    Thx I find it very rewarding.

RC Competitor
    This is most likey my last post as I will never remember the password to get in again! I can honestly say that it sucks to try to log in on thi site!
    So here it goes. This is the best revo ever!!!!! It's super fast a very stable with lots of power. It does't eat gears. It's fun to drive and turns on a dime. As soom as I get the new Center diff. built I will have a true racing truck that is even lighter. It's to bad I have so much trouble getting on here. I do have this build on other web pages such as HPIbajaforums.com in the basement and in the recatrampageforum.com as well. I go by twissted on all sites execpt this one. If I ever run into a factory driver I will be more than happy to let them drive this race truck. The suspention trully sets this truck apart from everything out their. But as far as the rest It could use smarter parts as far as a fatory build goes. I would love to see a factory build of this truck. I would like them to build it as I am but with refindments that they would be offering. I plan on building a center diff. from a 1/8 scale gas buggy that has a carrier above it so that carrier gear goes threw the frame to the top side. Then the motor gear will mesh from the top. What I like about this set up it the ease of working and the way you can change the gear oil in the diff to make it handle to weather. Also this is light and very tuff. Less moving parts means longer run times and more horse power to the wheels. The mount to this setup is also making the frame more rigged(this is something that the revo has not really needed but could use). I will be posting video soon. I hope to see more of these builds as it is fairly strait forward.
    Last edited by reallytwissted; 04-16-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You can do all this but can't write down your log in info on a sticky note and put it on your computer screen? Hmmmm...

Nice looking jeep...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I would like to do what ur doing as well. Good ideas and the 1/5 jeep looks good.

RC Competitor
    Thanks I have finished this build and have started another.
    I wish I worked for Traxxas. I woud build this for everyone to use. It's a siple and easy to work on. Best of all the racing guys will love the way you can dial it in for the type of track and weather conditions. I'm using a HPI Vorza Diff. to get me their. This build is 1/5 scale as well and will be different because it will be a 4x4 dune buggy. The roll cage is going to have body pannels that are removable. This build isn't cheep, because of the speed control. It could be if i would have used a 150 esc. So keep that in mind if this is something that you want to try. I bought the batteries and the motor from. Speeking of the motor, let get to what it is and what it cost. It is a 45mm can that is 77mm long. The shaft size is 6mm. it cost under 50.00 but shipping keeps it around 60.00. as for the revo that I cut up I got it well used frrom ebay for 168.00 and the tires and whell hubs I got off of ebay as well. I have some sand paddles that are comming from china. They should really set this build off! I'll post some post some pics in the next thred.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words - or banned websites - to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. This is a zero-point warning.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-05-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Content

RC Competitor

Pics

The last picture is different, I moved the ideler gear so that the gears mesh.

RC Competitor
    I should also add that I will be building this buggy twice. I will use everything you see here as a mack-up and then clean it up with new pieces that have a better if and the extra holes will be gone. I also will be looking at getting a TIG welder so that I can build a awsome roll cage as well as weld the frame. this should clean it up. as for the super long drive line that is in the back. I used a TIG welder. I drilled a couple of hold in the tube and spot weld to the dog bone on the front part and the rear is a cv piece that was for the 3.3 front drive shaft that I'm now using in the rear.

RC Competitor
    The motor mount. I love the Vorza motor mount and I tried to make one big enough to fit this motor. As you can see by the one I'm using, that didn't happen. If you look hard you can see that I had to shimm the back of the lower part of the saddle. I used a piece of copper. It's soft and wide. I win two fold as it will handle shock well and square the motor to the gears.

RC Competitor
    I ordered some gears for the motor. I hope tha I can ge them to work. One is a 11 tooth that is ment to fit a Rampage XBE and the other gear is a HPI vorza 15 tooth gear. The problem with the ladder is the bore size. It is a 5mm bore and the shaft size is 6mm. I'm looking at some diamound drill bits that are 6mm. I have also looked at a company that build pinions for large motors. Kershaw designs is the only place I have found that has what I need. I'll try what I have ordered. If this doesn't work I will buy from them. The problem is they only have 2 gear sizes 18 and 20 tooth. With the larger motor They may work, but stepping up to a much larger tire size get me their. I wll have to wait and see. I could always go to a 40 series tire or even a 3.8.

RC Competitor
    If any of you guys have some thoughts that you would like to see in this build please fill fre to add to this thred! Thx!

RC Competitor
    Here are some pics of the look I'm looking for.

Here's what out their at the moment.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know if you know, but Kershaw designs makes an e-revo 1/5 conversion kit. But I love how yours is going, should be preety cool to see it running.

RC Competitor
    Yes they build a kit using revo parts that I have problems with. I'm into bigger, faster and most of all one-off builds. I like to be copied as well as dawing the looks that I get. Thx for posting! keep in touch.

RC Competitor
    I'm running some of my builds in the ocal parade this weekend. So things are slow at the moment. I did rebuild my center diff. mount. I cousin bought a RC-10t and so I got out my Losi xxx out. The fun is being able to run with what he has. As for running the large scale, I left them at home so that we focas on his new toy.

RC Competitor
    The motor has been moved. I ran this set up for a test run and fogot to tighten the allen key that locks the CV on the drive line. It caused all kinds of problems. bent drive line, cracked the rear diff housing, cut the bulk head in half and flipped the buggy over on its top and sraped the batteries also took out the motor fan and bent the motor mount. I will not test run with out the roll cage ever again! What a expencive mistake! I can tell you this, I is smoking fast! I would guess 60+. I will need to run bead locks as the tire pull apart as well. I drill vent holes in the motor and the fan is a must! I streched the new fram another inch. So need it to be as stable as possilbe. It's a lot to control.

RC Competitor
    Please remember that these are the Traxxas forums.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.

RC Competitor
    reply to -ksb51rl. Thx for reminding me that this is a traxxas forum. I'm using a traxxas revo and building something worthy of racing on a 1/5 leavel. If you find this build a little on the fence then build one better and I will be happy to buy it. I'm hoping that you guy want to try it and find something about it that you can use that others can buy. I know that most people don't build race cars. I do and point out some of the short commings that I face as a builder and as a customer. If you find this a little embarrassing then make changes to fix the problem or build something different as I'm doing. I don't want to bash what you guys have done I really like the suspention and find the platform a great one to build from.

There is no need for your sarcasm.
    Both you and I know that the edited post had NOTHING to do with your build.
    The "wounded party" act is irrelevant and - in point of fact - dishonest.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-18-2012 at 04:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    I should point out that I have moved into bigger motors and I'm no longer using factory motor mounts. There custom as well. The longer wheel base lets me add alot more power because it is more stable.

RC Competitor
    So here are some pics of the build. I should Point out that the front anf rear have been fliped so that the motor is working as it should (esc).

I'm having issues with the drivelines comming apart at the moment. I also shimmmed under the front of the motor to get the pinion just right. My sand paddles came in. I will show videos of the world largest man made sand mountian and this revo shredding it!

RC Competitor
    Next comes the roll cage. I just bought a 58" rc boat that I will be working on soon so things may get slow soon.

Last edited by reallytwissted; 05-21-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: picture

RC Competitor

I added this to add strength to the frame. I really makes a differance. If you can do this with your stock frame it does the same. The E-Revo can use it the most.

I have some ajustments to make to square the bracket to this new frame but you get the idea of the new lay out of the motor and the drivelines are the same size now. I have another idea for the drivelines so they may make a change at the center diff.

RC Racer
    Looks like it's coming along, can't wait to see some video's.

RC Competitor
    I don't know how traxxas keeps tires under the XO-1. Mybe I should buy some. I can't keep glued tires under this thing.
    I'm also going to go back to the stock drive shafts. The metal ones seam to break, the stock ones flex and more forgiving. My camera is dead I'll charge it and poost some pics soon. As for vids I need to get all the bugs worked out first. I do have some new Baja paddle tires that you will see the sand fly. I'm going to run them on all the way around.

RC Competitor
    T-5 Revo updates
    I updated the motor and mount and the Esc. I now run a 150 amp esc running at 22.1 v(6c). The lipos are 5000 40c 11.1v running in series. The motor is 4577 1600kv and is running a 22T pinion. The E-Revo tranny is up graded with a Robinson Racing Gen III 65T slipper. I built the motor mount.

Last edited by reallytwissted; 06-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

RC Competitor
    T-5 Revo update
    This is the new rear body mount

PS. This build is up for all and any revo challengers!!!!
    Track, sand,hill climb,drag race etc.
    Last edited by reallytwissted; 06-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.

RC Competitor

New lower armszcx`

I added some custom 7075 lower arms so that the truck will handle better.

This truck is 38" long and is heavy because of the size of the parts. The new arms should really help. They look great also.
    Last edited by reallytwissted; 02-27-2014 at 08:07 PM.

RC Champion
    interesting stuff. Have you upgraded the diffs and driveshafts in your revo conversion? because the stock revo eats diffs and driveshafts for lunch on 6s, I can't imagine how bad it would be when you up the size and weight they are pushing around. Also, do you have webbed toes or am I seeing things?
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    How has this thread not been closed I posted a couple pics of non traxxas batteries on my build thread and it got closed but you have pics of all kinds of non traxxas parts and cars. If I posted I pic of a 5t I'd get banned

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    How has this thread not been closed I posted a couple pics of non traxxas batteries on my build thread and it got closed but you have pics of all kinds of non traxxas parts and cars. If I posted I pic of a 5t I'd get banned

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    wondering also.

cool revo 5th scale stuff though...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???