Thread: ss prop

RC Racer

ss prop

where can I buy a x442 or a prather 215 that keeps them in stock and balanced? I'm tired of buying the plastic props, and I dont want to balance and sharpen

RC Racer
    Just do a search. Prather 215. I found a place yesterday that charges $20 to do it. Plus the prop. I think I'll do it myself. My deolblo prop balancer should do it!

RC Qualifier
    OSE sometimes has balanced and sharpened props in stock, but they sell out quickly. rcfunboats will sharpen any prop you buy for fee but they don't keep stock of balanced props so I don't know how much extra time it takes before they ship.

hog

RC Champion
    Most of the on line sites that sell props also provide sharpen and balance services. Brass props approx $15 and stainless slightly higher. To sharpen and balance add $20 to $25 per prop.
    You should order now as boating season has started and shops will become very busy.
    Fun RC Boats has the Prather 215 but backorderd on the Octura X442.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    How much difference does a metal prop make vs. stock? what do you feel?

RC Qualifier
    They can make a significant difference. Even a metal prop of the same pitch and diameter as the stock composite prop will perform better because the metal prop won't flex under load.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    Rocket City racing looks like they have a very large selection of props. They have raw props and balanced ready to go props. I just ordered two that no one else had in stock.

RC Racer
    I've got a s215 from the lhs yesterday. I ordered the x442 they did not have it in stock. I'm going to sharpen it myself maybe next week. Today I've got a project to do on my maxx. I should have all the parts I ordered for the spartan by next weekend so that will be work on the boat weekend! I've allready got the duel rudder and water outlet done.

RC Champion
    breeze400 Make sure that you balance the prop as well, if not, an out of balanced prop will cause premature flex shaft failure and strut bushing wear as well. At higher rpm's you will notice severe vibration like when a tire is out of balance on you car.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    right or left hand prop?

RC Champion
    That would be a L/H prop....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    thanks for the fast reply. I just ordered 2 but they are on back order. I just ordered more plastic props

RC Champion
    I know that alot of sites are out of stock on the X442 & 215, but if you need ...Kintecracing has both the Prather 215 and Octura X442 props in stock.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    I dont think they balance them

RC Champion
    You may want to call them as I have used them for other custom services, just not prop sharpening of balance since I perform that task myself.....Takes about an hour or so to balance, sharpen and polish a prop. Polishing itsn't necessary but looks good!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    breeze400 Make sure that you balance the prop as well, if not, an out of balanced prop will cause premature flex shaft failure and strut bushing wear as well. At higher rpm's you will notice severe vibration like when a tire is out of balance on you car.
    I have a Dubro prop balancer. My prop is sitting on it now! Lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok im a noob. I don't know what pitch or size i want. If I get metal I want it balanced and ready to go. I run 5s boat is very fast on top end but would like a smoother feel throughout the powerband. until it gets on the plain its slugish at low speeds ok in the mid and the last 10% of my throttle finger seems to boost it 30% faster on the top end. Any link to a suggestion prop?

RC Qualifier
    If running the stock electrics the most often recommended metal prop is either the Octura X442 or the Prather S215

The stock prop is 42mm diameter x 59mm pitch.
    The X442 is 42mm x 58.8mm, or pretty much a straight across replacement for the stock prop.
    The S215 is just slightly small diameter but a bit higher pitch. I don't have the specs in front of me but if memory serves 41.6mm x 63mm. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

On the stock electrics you don't want to prop up too much, the risk of overloading the electronics increases with the additional load of a larger prop.

Metal props have the advantage of not flexing under load, so even the X442 will provide a slight performance enhancement over the stock plastic prop, and they don't break or chip as easily.

Since you are running 5S instead of 6s you might be able to prop up just slightly more than the two props recommended above, but I have no direct recommendations (maybe Octura X642 42mmx67.2mm), BUT be very cautious if you experiment with larger props.

hog

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwipf View Post
    Ok im a noob. I don't know what pitch or size i want. If I get metal I want it balanced and ready to go. I run 5s boat is very fast on top end but would like a smoother feel throughout the powerband. until it gets on the plain its slugish at low speeds ok in the mid and the last 10% of my throttle finger seems to boost it 30% faster on the top end. Any link to a suggestion prop?
    To achieve 5s are you using a 2s and 3s in series or just one 5s battery? Using 5s in parallel? 5s in parallel adds alot of weight and will make the boat seem slugish at slower speeds untill it gets up on full plane.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    To achieve 5s are you using a 2s and 3s in series or just one 5s battery? Using 5s in parallel? 5s in parallel adds alot of weight and will make the boat seem slugish at slower speeds untill it gets up on full plane.
    2x 5000mah 5s, yes its heavy but I hated getting 5 min run times with other packs. I can get 15-17min if I wanted to. Usually just go out 10min then regrease. Yep it does have to get up to 30% speed to get on the plane with that weight but its frees stable.

RC Qualifier
    Wats balancing a prop mean

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    It is like tire balancing, if the tire is out of balance the car will shake down the road. If the prop is out of balance the vibration in the driveline will cause damage. Plus the vibration robs power. When ever you install a prop it must be balanced. If you are new to this you should purchase props that are already balanced. Thjere are web sites that can tell you the details of prop balancing such as wohlts rc. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    O ok thx should I just stick to the stock one for now

RC Champion
    The stock prop will work fine...Just beware that on 6s the stock prop can come apart.

Fun RC Boats has the props in stock and will sharpen and balance them for $25 plus the cost of the prop.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Having a prop come apart while your driving doesn't sound good I was lookin at that fun RC boats place

RC Qualifier
    Kintec Racing has CNC machined aluminum props that are pre-balanced, BUT, there has been some suggestion that they are not suited to the high RPM's of fast electric boats.

I e-mailed Jan at Kintec and asked him about it, but he never did reply.

You could look at them for consideration, but be aware they are not confirmed suitable for fast electric use.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Wat exactly would happen if I buy a prop from kinetec and mount it and drive it without balancing it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    Wat exactly would happen if I buy a prop from kinetec and mount it and drive it without balancing it
    Take a look at post #23 above posted by SJS, He pretty much sums it up for you.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis