Nitro Fuel questions...

I have some quetions regarding nitro fuel. How long will a gallon of gas last? How many tanks of gas (150cc) will a gallon of nitro fuel fill? It says using 33% traxxas top fuel will not wear out you engine faster than using 20% or 10%. Is this true? And on that topic how much differnt will the tunning range be when using 33% compared to 20% and 10%'s tunning range? This may also be kind of off topic, but what's the best and most easy way to tell if you engine is running lean or rich WITHOUT risking damaging something?
    -Thanks Wolfslash16
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    How long a gallon will last depends on your driving habits and how often you drive.
    If you run every day, using aprox. five tanks each day a gallon will probably last you a little over a week.
    I usually run once or twice every month, so a gallon lasts me a while.

Yeah, it's true, as long as you have your tune right 33% is great. You'll get a little higher speeds using 33% but not by much.
    I use 20% Powermaster and it works very well for my needs.

You can tell by the amount of smoke that the exhaust is emitting, if there's a good amount of blue smoke and the temperature is around 250-260 you're in the safe range. If there's not much smoke, the engine 'cuts out' at high speeds and the temps are high 270-+ than you need to richen the mixture.
    As long as you don't run the engine too lean for very long you'll be fine, on the other hand, running rich will not hurt the engine at all, it'll just be inefficient.

Hope that answers your questions.
    Matthew 7:7

hey Chevy im using a really old gallon of powermaster fuel same 20% think its like 2-3yrs old and still running good in my 2.5. have almost a 1 quart through it now, i needed to richen it a bit though compared to the trx 20% but thats fine. i actually get better gas mileage with powermaster than traxxas fuel. i can last about 35-40mins with a 156cc tank compared to 25-29mins with trx fuel, not sure why that is but i use the same throttle and its about the same tune besides have to lean and richen one from the other but tune is about equal on both. if i were to lean it more i would get a little better.

to the op, a gallon will only last as long as you run your nitro. if you run it often more than 1 time week expect to be buying fuel every 2-3months depending if you only run 1-3 tanks each time. i've ran about the quart and it took me about 2 weeks but thats only 4runs with 2tank each on 156cc.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

How long will it last? How much will you drive? The more you drive the faster it will go. How big is the tank on the vehicle? Convert the gallon into cc's and divide the tank from that to see how many tanks are in the gallon. Then figure about 10-15 minutes of run time per tank (that's what I get with my Revo) and multiply that to the number of tanks in a gallon and you'll see you get xxxxx amount of minutes per gallon.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    hey Chevy im using a really old gallon of powermaster fuel same 20% think its like 2-3yrs old and still running good in my 2.5. have almost a 1 quart through it now, i needed to richen it a bit though compared to the trx 20% but thats fine. i actually get better gas mileage with powermaster than traxxas fuel. i can last about 35-40mins with a 156cc tank compared to 25-29mins with trx fuel, not sure why that is but i use the same throttle and its about the same tune besides have to lean and richen one from the other but tune is about equal on both. if i were to lean it more i would get a little better.

to the op, a gallon will only last as long as you run your nitro. if you run it often more than 1 time week expect to be buying fuel every 2-3months depending if you only run 1-3 tanks each time. i've ran about the quart and it took me about 2 weeks but thats only 4runs with 2tank each on 156cc.
    Man, that's really good getting that much run time off a tank, I really like the Powermaster fuels. I get about 15 minutes if that lol, what's your secret?!?
    I guess I do drive fairly fast though

RC Enthusiast
    I get about 15min of run time on my 2.5 tmaxx using O'Donnell T-Blend 20%

i cant use more than 1/2 throttle in my pede thats what the secret is i think atleast part of it, i sometimes am able to hit full throttle for a very very short brust then run out of road or grass. even with hitting full throttle i get about 25-30mins. i'm liking the fuel, my LHS has it for 20+tax didnt know that before till i checked if they had a elec.4tec. my other LHS has it for 30 so obivious i'll be picking it up at the other place.

Thanks for the help guys! How long would a quart of 20% nitro fuel last?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Again, it could last weeks, months or an hour. Depends on how much you drive and how you drive.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    is the right way to change spur gear ,to take back half off,i saw some one did that ,looks simple,asking cause i have to do one on one of my trucks ,another pede,ty for any help ,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! How long would a quart of 20% nitro fuel last?
    A quart would last, if you ran everyday for about an hour, aprox. 2-3.
    Again this is an educated guess, and I'm not sure of your driving habits

1 Gal. is 3785cc divided by 150 =25
    For some a gal. will last a month or so others only a week Someone on here said he has used 3 gal. in 3 weeks all I could say is

Ok I didn't add the .2333333
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Champion
    Haha, a gallon lasts me nearly a year nowadays.
    You can give me a thumbs up for the savings

same here Chevy, i've had mine for a year now traxxas 20% and looks like it will be sitting most of the summer now as i cant run my pede now where i live. police says its against the law to run in pulic parks weather it be local,state,federal. i thought the road was ok but not sure where i live they said i can run nitro/gas on the property which i wouldnt but just thought i would get a ticket if i ran my nitro on the road. i've ran my nitro back home where i live and police never said anything about it and it was a local park there. weird police system here i guess. fustrated i cant run my nitro pede after all the work i put into it and parts i bought and installed. its a whole new pede now.

RC Champion
    same here Chevy, i've had mine for a year now traxxas 20% and looks like it will be sitting most of the summer now as i cant run my pede now where i live. police says its against the law to run in pulic parks weather it be local,state,federal. i thought the road was ok but not sure where i live they said i can run nitro/gas on the property which i wouldnt but just thought i would get a ticket if i ran my nitro on the road. i've ran my nitro back home where i live and police never said anything about it and it was a local park there. weird police system here i guess. fustrated i cant run my nitro pede after all the work i put into it and parts i bought and installed. its a whole new pede now.
    Stinks man, is there a track near you?

yeah theres a track near in the next town over by a hobby shop but they require you to be a roar member last time i checked and you gotta pay like $30 for to use track. stinks bad. ready to rip down the road with it and all i can do is look at it so i stuffed it back in the packed tupperwear i put it in when i moved so i dont look at it kinda made me feel like selling it today and buying a Emaxx/E revo brushless instead but like nitro too much to let it go because of that. i'll find a way and place to run it. havent got to run it for over 1 1/2 months now longest next to winter time.

yeah theres a track near in the next town over by a hobby shop but they require you to be a roar member last time i checked and you gotta pay like $30 for to use track. stinks bad. ready to rip down the road with it and all i can do is look at it so i stuffed it back in the packed tupperwear i put it in when i moved so i dont look at it kinda made me feel like selling it today and buying a Emaxx/E revo brushless instead but like nitro too much to let it go because of that. i'll find a way and place to run it. havent got to run it for over 1 1/2 months now longest next to winter time.
    Most tracks you pay a yearly membership and track fees are much cheaper. ROAR, is like $25.00 per yr and it gives you a liability coverage...

I'll warn you,,,, the first time you try racing,,,, it's like getting bitten by a bug.... I was hooked the minute I got in the driver stand...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Most tracks you pay a yearly membership and track fees are much cheaper. ROAR, is like $25.00 per yr and it gives you a liability coverage...

I'll warn you,,,, the first time you try racing,,,, it's like getting bitten by a bug.... I was hooked the minute I got in the driver stand...
    I've actually never had the chance to race, not even 1 on 1 lol.
    I think I can drive decently though, been doing it for about seven years.

@Nitronaught & Mike-susieq, is it difficult to drive with the restrictions of a track?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

its a nice track i think found it on another forum think the place is called: Modesto RC Raceway, drove by but start up cost would be a little pricey. think i'll stick to running on the river areas. picked up a waterproof servo for that reason. i know i would be bitten by the track bug if i did sign up and wouldnt stop going but gotta think about gas too its 40miles round trip and gas dont cost cheap right now with it going back up again .

Hey Nitro you do you know if fuel looses the oil content over time? like if its been sitting in a shed for like 2yrs+? i got a 1/3 gallon of trx 20% and was wondering, its been kept around 75-80F all the time. sometimes even colder around 60F. caps been on tight even the red cap also. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post

@Nitronaught & Mike-susieq, is it difficult to drive with the restrictions of a track?
    i think it would be hard at first but with practice and patience it would be fun and easier. havent tried it my self, i use to race for fun with a buddy against his tmaxx 3.3's against my merv on nimh hehe and wont every time by a cars lenght till i went series then it was a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post

It's not that bad if you roll over their is some one out there to turn your truck back over The veteran racers will give you a lot of help. They want you at your best when they whoop you. One thing to remember is if you're not staying up with the leaders keep out of the way when they are passing you. You will not make to many friends if you wreak the leader of the race. But if you do get out of the way and let them pass they wont forget it.

Hey Nitro you do you know if fuel looses the oil content over time? like if its been sitting in a shed for like 2yrs+? i got a 1/3 gallon of trx 20% and was wondering, its been kept around 75-80F all the time. sometimes even colder around 60F. caps been on tight even the red cap also. Thanks
    You don't loose the oil in the fuel, you loose the Ethanol in the fuel.

It should be ok, run it, the worse that will happen is you get bad performance out of it.
    If it runs good it's good, if it runs & lacks power or doesn't tune well it' bad & toss it.

Who did you ask about running it in the park?
    Was it any old cop you flagged down or did you call & get some desk warmer who will always say no so their backside is covered?

I would hit up the city/county web site & check for an ordinance against running your nitro in the park, you might find there isn't one & they were sticking to the "I don't know but I'm not gonna tell ya yes just in case the answer is no" answer.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 05-21-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Yes, the alcohol evaporates, but not the oil. This is an insurance in way, you don't have to worry about damaging your engine, you will notice the lack of power if the alcohol percentage is too low.

thanks about the info on the fuel. i've been using the fuel both and runs good, one is about 1 1/3 yr old and the other is over 2yrs old+ i think.

I asked the police dispatch and was referred to the sherriff and said it was ok as long as its not noisy which nitro is, but there is a park hardly nobody goes to though. then i called again and spoke to the station and they said no i cant so i am a bit mixed up dont want a ticket you know, "barely afford fuel for it now adays. think i will look up the website and actually go inside to the station down the block "yeah its 1 block away" you can imagine the sirens all day and safety but you can be wrong on the saftey though with all the budget cuts here on them. we even got a skate park right behind them so its 1 block away too want to take the merv there and do some jumps too and take vid.

That's one of the disadvantage of nitro is the noise what you think is no big deal someone blocks away will call the police and make a complain about it. If you can find a place out of town it would be better.

thats what i thought i would have to do wait till i get back home but i started running my nitro in the road in front off the property here. they told me private property or road would be fine, they wouldnt give a ticket so i do run in there road its busy sometimes but i wait till all the cars go through and clams dont. lately its been ok out there. some people i think dont like it but most look and keep looking at it like cool even the old people, had a older lady come up to us the other week that was partally blind and said her husband wants to get one of those for their grandson and wanted to know how much they are and if she can buy it locally told her where to buy one or go online and get one. some people like it both nitro and electric and some dont. i try not to run them too much here like the nitro due to noise. Maintance here mowes everyday seems like and then across the street so quiete is not quite there you know so running nitro wouldnt be problem unless is a day quite which is only Sunday.

Good to hear your fuel is still good.

That's why I look online to see if there is an ordinance against running you trucks, as the desk warmer is not going to stick their neck out by saying yes if they don't know so they automatically say NO to most ? just to CYA.

If there is no ordinance against running it then you should be good, kinda hard to write a ticket for an ordinance that doesn't exist!

Like in my other hobby of Metal Detecting, 9 out of 10 times if you call the cops/city/county & ask if you can metal detect in the park, you get an automatic NO you can't even though there is no law/ordinance against it, but since the desk warmer doesn't know & is too lazy to find out they say NO just in case so they can't get in trouble for telling you yes!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

what if you cant find the ordinance for the parks? i called the parks and recreation today in town and same thing I was told i cant run them there. I'll be calling again tomorrow and see if they can give me the website where its states it in the county ordinance. i would like to run my rc's in the grass atleast as to not break, hit curbs, cars, get it ran over, scraped on the pavements/rough black top you know.

Thanks Wildman4910 for the help.

Most of the time their is a ordinance about operating a motorize vehicle in the park so I would say the police are thinking that it would fall under that.

The county site should have a parks & rec area or a link to it.

Did they atleast give you the ordinance number that say's it's prohibited? Or just a quick No.

What's your city/county & is it a city or county park?

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    Most of the time their is a ordinance about operating a motorize vehicle in the park so I would say the police are thinking that it would fall under that.
    That usually refers to full size vehicle's &/or 4wheeler's & such, it's a long stretch to add an RC car under that.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    The county site should have a parks & rec area or a link to it.

Did they atleast give you the ordinance number that say's it's prohibited? Or just a quick No.

What's your city/county & is it a city or county park?
    when i called the lady put me on hold then came back about 2mins later and told me i cant in any park in the city and man let me tell you theres alot of parks as you can see in the link i will provide, they didnt give me a CODE or LINK to where i can find it which i will call and ask for it thats for sure. i dont see why i cant or anybody else run an RC, i see the park cleaners driving go carts, pick ups on the grass there to pick up the trash, and whatever they do and sometimes it stays there all day just parked so i wouldnt see a problem. i'll call again though as i dont want my RC's to just sit there and the road it getting a little too busy now thats its hit summer time. moody drivers around now dealing with the heat wave today 99F.
    Here's link see if you can find CODE they are referring to if you can please: http://www.ci.turlock.ca.us/citydepa...arks/index.asp

these are the 2 parks i want to run at and you can see those there on the page with pics. 1.Summerfaire Park 2.Donnelly Park.

ok went looking into more the site and found it, it says:Use or allow the use of powered model airplanes or racing cars, except in areas designated for such use. which they dont tell you where you can use them, they told me on private property but isnt the road public property, i asked if i can run on the road and they said yes to me before. not sure why made that into the city code, i pay taxes to have the park open too just like everyone else does and i see lot of people around here using rc's and have them too not to mention for sell or trade here as well. ooh well guess it will be road use still.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    That usually refers to full size vehicle's &/or 4wheeler's & such, it's a long stretch to add an RC car under that.
    Oh I know but they will just say no to be on the safe side.

Well that stinks Mike, kinda like some of the areas around here the sign says "Public land, preserving the land for your future" & in slightly smaller print say's "Area Closed, No Trespassing, violator's will be prosecuted!".

Your tax dollars go to keeping the park & rec stall employed & keeping their stranglehold their park & their little fiefdom.

I hope you can find a bashing spot close to you.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

What I would do when I had my nitro 4 tec was find a where they put in the roads but haven't started building houses yet. With the housing bust they was a big place in Fallon all the roads were put in but not a single house I was running out there one time and a sheriff drove out to see what I was doing he just wanted to see the car. We talked for a while even used his radar to get the speed. What I was getting if you go out to some place like that and the police come out most of the time they will just tell you to stop but if you go to a park they may have to give you a ticket. Look on google maps and you may find a place to be able to run.

great idea there fallonguy, there are a few places and i know of one by the freeway well not too close to the freeway that they built a place for a business that was coming but guess its not coming after all, land has been there for about 3 yrs now with a paved road and side walk just sitting there with a sign about the new project or i should say old now lol. and there's a area like a park but its not actually a park or even called a park, its a place in between a road and houses and another road where traffic is, wife found that when driving and said its not a park run it here they cant say anything about it here and its big with a dirt field on the other side of the road too so perfect for both merv and N pede. will look into it for sure on both and thanks for the help and info too guys. awesome people on here.

Just make sure you aren't in a designated construction area, I don't know about california, but in florida trespassing on a construction area can be construed as a felony. Especially in an area with a high crime rate.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

I was looking on google maps at Turlock and I think I saw the place you are talking about it's close to a mall by the freeway looks like Sizzler is there that would be a good place close to the freeway no one will complain about the noise and being their have been nothing built there I don't think the police will bother you. In Nevada if a road has street sign on it it's a public road so they can't say you're trespassing.

This is where I use to run my 4-tec it brand new roads and not a single house in the area and it's been 5 years and still no houses yet.
    Last edited by fallonguy; 06-03-2012 at 10:52 AM.

yup right by Sizzler you got it on the dot. Perfect for both road and off road. i sold my nitro 4tec too fast for the short roads we have here. i figured they shouldnt say anything there, think i'll either bike ride or just drive. like the place where you run nice and open and perfect road use too, long stretch's.

All the roads in here end up being dead ends (Oops cul-de-sac) so no one drives in there.