RC Champion

Mounting Tires (Proline Badlands)

Hey guys,

I've noticed a few of the newer members (no offense intended) asking about which tires provide good all around performance when used on the Slayer or Slash short course vehicles.
    From all the good things I've heard about the Badlands, I decided to pick up a set today and thought I'd post a thread on mounting them and include some pictures.
    I'll probably add some more photos later on, and an actual 'review'.

I went with the 'black on chrome' Traxxas wheels, (item#5974).
    And Proline's Badlands, (Part#1182-01).

Here is the rubber itself, along with the newly designed inserts that Proline has just produced.

I purchased the 'medium hardness' rubber. This compound is still very soft, and I would recommend buying the harder compound if long wear is your main concern.

A picture of the tread difference between a Badland and the stock Traxxas tire.

You need to clean the bead of the tires prior to attaching them to the rim, the factory coats them in a 'anti mold dust' that keeps moisture to a minimum. The glue will not set properly with this coating intact, remove it with rubbing alcohol or soap and water solution.

When glueing the tires I used a piece of aluminum foil to prevent CA from dripping onto the island.

Work your way around the wheel, attaching the tire with about six points of glue around the circumference of the rim.

And finally, a few pictures of them bolted on the Slayer Pro 4X4

I'll update this thing when I get some run time with them, hope this helps anyone who's considering the Badlands. They really look and feel like they'll hook up well on the dirt and provide much more traction on regular running surfaces.
    Matthew 7:7

looks good but you didnt tape the tires man? always tape your tires bro, they work so much better if you do and can take more abuse as well.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Thanks for the advice, yeah I thought about it, but one of the reasons I don't tape mine is because I have a habit of getting the balance way out of whack when I do it
    I think they'll hold up pretty well, thanks though.

its easy man, all you have to do so you know for the future, put the tape right down the center. once you get one wrap around and overlap just go until you get to that seem again and cut it right there so its as close as possible to that seam you started. this way you wont have one little spot without tape that tries to stretch with only 1 wrap of tape, and no heavy spots, easy peazy man lol.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Ok, well now I feel pretty dumb haha, thanks a lot for the tips man.

no problem lol, just look through my racemaxx thread its in there.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    nice tires , i have the proline badlands on 17mm buggy rims for my slayer. pics will be up soon...

RC Competitor
    what glue do you have to use, would super glue work? ive never had a set of tires and badlands will be the first
    Last edited by lachrox568; 03-29-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    You don't need to plug Nitro into the wall

u need ca glue designed for rc cars specifically
    Drag It!

RC poster
    How well do the badlands hook up In the dirt? I'v herd a lot of good thing about the.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckeithnitro View Post
    nice tires , i have the proline badlands on 17mm buggy rims for my slayer. pics will be up soon...
    Thanks man

@Lachrox568, like Graves said, you'll need a specific tire glue. You can usually pick it up a your hobby shop, the most popular brand is 'Zap' CA glue.

@Jimmy007, I'll hopefully have a chance to run the tires possibly this weekend, I'll update this thread for more detail on their performance. Maybe a video

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Thanks for the advice, yeah I thought about it, but one of the reasons I don't tape mine is because I have a habit of getting the balance way out of whack when I do it
    I think they'll hold up pretty well, thanks though.
    Have a look at this mounting and glueing write up... You can this this method with any tire that needs to be glued to the rim for mounting...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=Tire+Glueing
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

thats the write up i used my first time. i didnt cut the foams though, i had the new blue proline closed cell foams. and then when i did my other tires which are now gone, two tires had a soft foam, and the other 2 had like a styrafoam? but there did good, and now there gone.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Ok guys, I just had a chance to run the truck, I can most surely say that these tires are one of the best upgrades a Slayer owner can purchase. I ran my truck in a yard with some deep grass but I noticed a big difference with the vehicle's traction.
    I could easily power through the thick masses of grass, and they even provided very decent performance on pavement.
    When I decided to run over a rocky dirt area they still impressed me.
    The only drawback I can think of now is the fact that they are a pretty soft rubber, even being the medium compound.
    So they'll probably not last very long if you drive on paved surfaces regularly, but I haven't noticed any wear on my set yet after two tanks.

RC Racer
    Ah man I want those for my slayer!!!!!!!
    I mostly drive on pavement or hard packed dirt. Wish they made a harder compound.
    But I will eventually get them.
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

RC Champion
    They do make a harder compound, I'm not sure how much harder but after a few runs these things are not showing any wear.
    And I did run on pavement for just a bit.
    Thanks for checking the truck out, I'm pretty happy with it now, the tires really made a difference

RC Racer
    Hummm Yeah I'm going to get them. Just don't know when lol
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

im thinking some badlands for offroad use, some street fighters for pavement days, then i got my stockers to for just whatever lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    im thinking some badlands for offroad use, some street fighters for pavement days, then i got my stockers to for just whatever lol
    That's pretty much my plan, just gonna use the stock ones for on-road use and the badlands for off-road.

RC poster
    Tires look great. I pretty much killed my stock tires running in a parking lot so I picked up a set of aka pro-5 buggy wheels and proline road rage tires. Prolly gonna pick up some badlands for offroad bashing. Nice to hear good things about them.

RC Champion
    Thanks, I really like them.

RC Champion
    Great write up ,so good I just ordered a set of m2's and DE Racing wheels from Amain. I was wondering if you regret not taping the tires.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    Great write up ,so good I just ordered a set of m2's and DE Racing wheels from Amain. I was wondering if you regret not taping the tires.
    Thank you, ah, while I kinda wish I had, they seem to be holding up great and I haven't noticed much ballooning.
    I would do it though, should help them last longer and not balloon as much

RC Champion
    Cool thanks man. I have taped tires in the past without much luck. Had the tape break in one tire. Probly won't bother then.

RC Champion
    No problem, you're welcome

RC Competitor
    just got my badlands and some slitsix beadlockers, no glue needed woot, going to tape them today
    You don't need to plug Nitro into the wall

RC Enthusiast
    I know this thread has been inactive for a while and in wrong section.. well im new to the rc world and bought a Raptor SVT and have been lookin at getting proline trenchers..can I mount the tires on my factory wheels..I like the wheels and want to keep them on truck. Thanks