Results 1 to 23 of 23

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34

    just did brushless conversion

    just finished brushless conversion with Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor and Velineon VXL-3s ESC combo. havent got a chance to run it yet I still need to pick up battery pack and charger.

    but here is a pic just thought i would share
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/IMAG0120.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/IMAG0121.jpg

    also made a home made aluminum a-arm. didnt get a chance to make the other one yet
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/IMAG0117.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/IMAG0119.jpg

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    59
    looks very clean. Well done. Was it hard? How long did it take you?

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by trxjato2.5 View Post
    looks very clean. Well done. Was it hard? How long did it take you?
    Took quite a while to make the mounting bracket for the motor and get it to line up right and stuff, I would say a good 3 hours just for the bracket. It wasn't hard just a lot of time and patience to get it straight

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    19
    Maybe its me but I just dont understand turning a jato into an electric. I mean I have both a jato and a Rustler vxl. I still have more fun with my jato. I have lived both worlds and I just could not imagine turning the great jato into an electric. Why not just buy a rustler or any other many electrics out there? lol Just me though.... Maybe I am just missing it...

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by jhudi07 View Post
    Maybe its me but I just dont understand turning a jato into an electric. I mean I have both a jato and a Rustler vxl. I still have more fun with my jato. I have lived both worlds and I just could not imagine turning the great jato into an electric. Why not just buy a rustler or any other many electrics out there? lol Just me though.... Maybe I am just missing it...
    yeah i understand what you're saying, but just building all the custom stuff and making everything work is half the fun for me. as you can probably tell by the a-arm that i made. i can never just leave something alone.
    that and the nitro engine was getting to be a pain. i had it running great but its just too much maintanance and $$

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    19
    I hear ya, do your thing then! I wouldn't want to keep fun away from anyone. I guess I'm just not there yet.... lol

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,053
    Where do you plan on mounting the battery?

    Also, I would cut off the rest of the top plate, including the rx box and the fuel tank mount. Mount your battery across the chassis and mount your ESC and receiver in front of the battery.

    Your setup now, the ESC is too high.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    Where do you plan on mounting the battery?

    Also, I would cut off the rest of the top plate, including the rx box and the fuel tank mount. Mount your battery across the chassis and mount your ESC and receiver in front of the battery.

    Your setup now, the ESC is too high.
    Right now the battery is temporarily mounted long ways between the esc and receiver. But I agree with you %100, everything now is just temporary to see if I could make it work. I plan on cutting the entire top plate off except for the steering servo mount and then mount everything else straight to the chassis like you mentioned. I also saw this very nice looking motor mount that I saw on a YouTube video that was very clean. So that will be in my plans also.

    Thanks for the input, if you have any other suggestions please let me know! Thanks

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lyon (in France)
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    Where do you plan on mounting the battery?

    Also, I would cut off the rest of the top plate, including the rx box and the fuel tank mount. Mount your battery across the chassis and mount your ESC and receiver in front of the battery.

    Your setup now, the ESC is too high.
    +1

    Or you can stick the battery on the roof

    An how do you tune the spur/pinion adjustment?

    regards
    <-- If you slow down, you're a wimp! -->

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by tiralatete View Post
    +1

    Or you can stick the battery on the roof

    An how do you tune the spur/pinion adjustment?

    regards
    For adjusting the spur/pinion gear I made a motor mount that uses the same oval shaped holes as the old nitro engine mount, that way I can move it back and forth as needed

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80
    Hey man. I did the same conversion. What I used was an e maxx motor mount, very easy to adjust. Also used the pin method the lock the tranny (allowing forward and reverse) I tested it out with my rustlers vxl system on 3s lipo and it's amazing!!! For now I just have a castle 5700 and need an esc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by willyb26 View Post
    Hey man. I did the same conversion. What I used was an e maxx motor mount, very easy to adjust. Also used the pin method the lock the tranny (allowing forward and reverse) I tested it out with my rustlers vxl system on 3s lipo and it's amazing!!! For now I just have a castle 5700 and need an esc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's basically what i saw on the YouTube video. As for the pin method in the clutch, I did it with epoxy, but will not go in reverse. Why does it work with the pins but not the epoxy? And can I fix/change it without buying a new clutch/gear?

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    new york near a few big lakes
    Posts
    538
    Looks good, I like the jato and how it handles. I know that's a hot topic with people but I'm one that likes the handling of this truck. But now that you have gone to brushless how is it doing with the shaved weight/handling? I would like to see this run first hand myself good job (Honda)!
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by chadkillzone View Post
    Looks good, I like the jato and how it handles. I know that's a hot topic with people but I'm one that likes the handling of this truck. But now that you have gone to brushless how is it doing with the shaved weight/handling? I would like to see this run first hand myself good job (Honda)!
    Thanks, I have not been able to run it yet but once I relocate the esc, receiver, and battery I will definitely post a vid and let you know how it handles. I'm also getting new tires so that will help a bunch too. Thanks again!

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider450 View Post
    yeah i understand what you're saying, but just building all the custom stuff and making everything work is half the fun for me. as you can probably tell by the a-arm that i made. i can never just leave something alone.
    that and the nitro engine was getting to be a pain. i had it running great but its just too much maintanance and $$
    +1 I totally agree with you, that's why I converted mine!! Also the jato was built for nitro and has a tougher chassis


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider450 View Post
    That's basically what i saw on the YouTube video. As for the pin method in the clutch, I did it with epoxy, but will not go in reverse. Why does it work with the pins but not the epoxy? And can I fix/change it without buying a new clutch/gear?
    The pin is a more secure connection I guess. Maybe the epoxy came loose? I'm not sure, it should work if you did it right


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80
    No you don't have to buy a new gear just check out a video on how to do the pin method. Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,053
    I wish I still had pictures of the E-Jato I did. It was the cleanest E-Jato I have seen.

    I'm sure you can find some info in my thread though:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...y-E-Jato-Build

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    I don't think the epoxy came loose. As soon as I put the transmission together it didn't have reverse, I just thought it was normal because it didn't have reverse before. It works perfectly in forward, but if I try to move the gears the other way it just locks up and doesnt turn. One thing I did not do though that i saw in a vid was to remove first gear. Could that be what's not letting it go in reverse?

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,053
    Here is a pic I found of mine.


  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    Here is a pic I found of mine.

    That is clean, i like the setup and location of everything. How did it handle with the way the weight is distributed?

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,053
    It handled great. Having it that low with those 2.2" foams, it handled like it was on rails!! After looking at this thread and that pic, I miss it!!

    You should put the electronics like that.

  23. #23
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider450 View Post
    I don't think the epoxy came loose. As soon as I put the transmission together it didn't have reverse, I just thought it was normal because it didn't have reverse before. It works perfectly in forward, but if I try to move the gears the other way it just locks up and doesnt turn. One thing I did not do though that i saw in a vid was to remove first gear. Could that be what's not letting it go in reverse?
    Remove first gear. That's your problem


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rustler VXL
    PURE LIPO POWER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •