RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

My Re-Play XD POV setup

I decided to mount my new Re-Play XD camera to my summit to see how it works. This is the smallest professional quality 1080 POV camera on the market. I really like everything about it other than that the footage is a bit grainy... which isnt ideal when the whole point of a camera is quality footage. Either way, for its size and what Im doing with it, its adequate.

Heres how the setup looks... pics were taken after the run so everything is dusty. As soon as the upload is done ill post the video.

The base mount is just secured with 3M, then the mount itself clips into the base. The mount has a lever locking swivel ball style mount. Its very adjustable and feels secure. Much easier to use than a Go-Pro mount thats for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Wicked! I love the look of that thing too! I saw one of those TonkaSummits using a couple of those, I love how small they are.

How is it recorded? Can you select 720p and get a clearer picture?

Nevermind I just read all about it on their site!

720, 960, 1080P settings. I'm most interested in the 60fps 720p! Weather resistant, tiny, and great quality optics! (no fisheye)

And only a few hundred bucks! Oh crap I think I know what I'm getting hahah
    Last edited by krallopian; 03-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.

RC Racer
    may i ask what tires?

Trencher X's on desperados. My first run with them was today. They're decent on the rocks but not nearly as soft as the canyons... they are wider and just a hair shorter... but the canyons seem to be better on the smoother rocks than the trenchers. My guess is the trenchers are better in the dirt.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Looking at the tread pattern, try reversing them see if that helps on the smooth rocks! I love the look of that wheel and tire combo though, very tough!

They aren't really directional... if you reverse them they will essentially be the same. I love how they look and on hard dirt/gravel they are absolutely awesome. But the slick rocks I run on often they seem to slip alot and don't flex and bend as much as id like, where the stockers are super soft and flexy. Ill keep running them both and see what I like better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Without coming across rude or whatever, they actually are directional! I'm pretty postive you would get better traction if they were reversed.

You are uploading a video still right? I'm sitting here waiting patiently to see how this camera performs on your Summit!! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    They aren't really directional... if you reverse them they will essentially be the same. I love how they look and on hard dirt/gravel they are absolutely awesome. But the slick rocks I run on often they seem to slip alot and don't flex and bend as much as id like, where the stockers are super soft and flexy. Ill keep running them both and see what I like better.
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Without coming across rude or whatever, they actually are directional! I'm pretty postive you would get better traction if they were reversed.

You are uploading a video still right? I'm sitting here waiting patiently to see how this camera performs on your Summit!! Haha
    You are both sorta right...and both sorta wrong. The tread may be directional - see that the edge tread blocks have a long side and that long side is on the leading edge of the left-side tires and on the trailing edge of the right-side tires? - but the premounts all come glued the same way, so reversing that particular set does actually get you back where you started.

Obviously it would be different if pav had mounted them himself.

Back OT: pav - do you know how those compare to the Contour Roam/GPS/+ line?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I do actually, I spent a week riding with a guy with a Contour GPS and I have to say his footage was slightly more crisp than the Re-play, however, the contour would be approximately twice the size of the Re-play... so there appears to always be a trade off. For RC applications id say light weight and size are major factors, so the Re-play seems to be a great choice. If quality is the biggest concern, id go with the Contour over the Go-pro or Re-play though. The Go pro and Contour both have excellent footage, very similar IMO, but the contour is slightly more sleek and looks easier to mount in an out of the way location.

Here is the video... took almost 2 hours to upload.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Wow awesome quality!! It barely moved at all either, from start to 4 minutes in it hadn't budged!

Ontario eh, where is this roughly? At first I thought it was Sudbury area but then that church is too big makes me think kitchener/waterloo hah.

Interesting mic on there pics up sounds very well, leaves, motor etc.. but those vibrations any idea what that is?

Awesome video, you've sold another Reply XD I can tell you that much! Do you have a pic of it after that last fall?

The pics at the top are after the run, only damage was some small scratches on the back cap of the camera (the rear cap covers the card slot and the setting buttons, its aluminum and water tight).

The ONLY mod I had to do to the body was to drill a few small holes and zip tie the body to the exo cage right under the camera... without this the body was flexy with the camera hanging off it... the zip ties tightened things up perfectly. You can't really even see them.

The MIC is good... I believe the vibrations are simply the camera rattling around SLIGHTLY in its mount. its hard to tell exactly what it is, these sounds were not present in the test I did on my helmet while snowmobiling this winter. But they are present in the 2nd video I'm uploading now. I could try the little mic stickers they send with the camera (just a little sticker that covers the mic hole and is supposed to help with excess noise.

Im about 3 hours north of kitchener and 3 hours south of sudbury. The church is my neighbour... not bad neighbours if I do say so... Im 2 hours north of toronto in a quiet small town.

Heres video #2, higher speed stuff...

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I looked at the Re-play XD too but ultimately went with the contour roam just because someone near me was selling one for a decent price.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=contour+roam

The things I love about the contour roam are: light weight (5 oz.), tons of mounting options (especially with the 1/4-20 mounting hole), small, 1080p, etc. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that it shoots max 30fps. The contour gps shoots 60fps but is a bit more expensive.

Either way, it looks like if anyone were to go with the Re-play XD, they would be just as happy. Sweet video by the way.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

Thanks, Im pleased with it. My company bought it as a test mule to see if it could be used for Broadcast quality HD the way we use our Go-Pros but I'm not sure it could... its just not AS clear.

On the other hand, having this mounted to my helmet for a day running lakes at 100mph was FAR less tiring than having the clunky go pro on my head... so thats a benefit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Heres a video I shot and edited tonight. Im no video editor... so be nice.

The camera got ripped off the truck on my first run. Apparently I need to do some more prep work on the instal location on the body. I had the camera mounted over a stock window decal and the decal ripped off... so that needs to be fixed. I decided to film more with the camera in other locations. it turned out cool I think.

For some reason the video isnt working. It took almost 3 hours to upload... hopefully its just still processing. If you see a video, its working, if not... ill try to figure it out and re-post.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 03-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    No luck for me, but would like to view the edited one once its updated/corrected....the first video you did was awesome!

RC Competitor
    Same here, "The video you have requested is not available.".
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

Dang... uploaded it a 2nd time and it did the same thing. I generally have bad luck with youtube. It takes more than 3 hours to upload then not work. Thats annoying. Ill keep trying. Its a cool video to watch IMO, lots of articulation.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    What program do you use to edit your videos?
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

It was edited and exported from iMovie in 1080... its almost 1 gig but only 1 minute long. I wanted the best quality.

Ill keep trying this evening. For some reason the video uploads all the way, is processed, then at the end it says its not available. Not sure why.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I had the same problem last week when I was trying to upload a video. It took three goes at uploading for it to work, I blame youtube.

Looks like it may be because it was exported in .MOV format. Im trying in .AVI now... I tried MP4 but the quality, even at the highest settings turned out to be crap. If the AVI export is clear and good quality ill try uploading it to youtube again tonight to see what happens.

I looked at the upload on youtube further and the notes said "unable to convert video" so I'm not sure what that actually means, but I'm assuming it gets converted from MOV to whatever youtube uses... and it didn't work. I tried using photo bucket to upload and it didn't even recognize the file.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

OK so here it is... FINALLY. Im really sorry about the quality. I had to export from iMovie in AVI format and for some reason, even with all the settings at MAX the final product is still really quite crappy. Nothing like my original version of this video in MOV format. That video is crystal clear.

Here it is, LMK what you think.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Really nice video dude, I have the same problem with you tube. The videos I have look great when I play the file on my pc but look terrible when I upload them, they look better in 720p but getting everyone to watch in 720p is nearly impossible. For some reason if I go to youtube on my xbox 360 and watch my videos they look awesome like they are in full HD and that's on a 58" screen.

RC Champion
    Whenever I make a movie, I upload it as a quicktime .mov in H264 codec at 3-5000kbps and have Frame Reordering enabled and a keyframe set at every 30 frames. Gives me exactly the quality I render in/record in and youtube loves it!

RC Racer
    Figures, I use Serif X5 for editing and if I try to export a movie in the .mov format I get an error message saying I don't have the latest version of Quicktime. I have updated every Apple related program on my computer and I still get the same message. If anyone knows a good editing program I can use to edit my gopro footage that doesn't cost $500 please let me know. I know it's a lot easier to edit videos if you have a Mac but I have no plans to get a Mac anytime soon.

RC Competitor
    I bought Adobe's Premiere and Photoshop Elements as a bundle a while back. I think it was ~$100 for both. I don't upload to YouTube but it works pretty good for editing if you want to check it out.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Thanks I'll check it out.

It snowed here about 6 inches yesterday. I was hoping to get back out again and get some more video. Maybe tomorrow...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Editing videos on a mac is no easier? Software is software, there are way more options on PC's for far cheaper. You get a PC that is twice the performance of any mac for half the price. Don't buy in to that whole Apple market crap, especially if you're already sucked in to the RC world of buying useless 'upgrades' because that's what we have to do hahaha!!

Yeah snowed here too, just raining now, but still too cold to comfortably go outside and enjoy the car. This spring is having fun with temperatures so far, uh yi yi!

This thread was SUPPOSED to be about summit videos... not editing computers or software. Its too bad, i thought the actual VIDEO I made was interesting to watch. But I cant seem to get a comment on it to save my life.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Sorry I don't normally hijack threads but I seemed to having the same problem as you and I thought someone might have some info on getting better quality uploads to youtube, I did leave that thumbs up you got the other day

This thread was SUPPOSED to be about summit videos... not editing computers or software. Its too bad, i thought the actual VIDEO I made was interesting to watch. But I cant seem to get a comment on it to save my life.
    It is a great video... For those who think its just a monster truck basher..... See video it's much much more
    Quality looked good to me. It's got a summit in it doing what a summit does... Whatever it wants to when ever it wants to. Plus looks good doing it I like the drive over shots myself

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    OY! Between saying your car looks awesome, camera is amazing, tires are great and videos are sweet, explaining how to get better quality on youtube and still have youtube accept it AND telling people how to save money.. I figured I had more than done my share of comments on your video and then some :P

But because I'm so new to the Summit I just keep wondering, "how do I get those skid guards, how do I get that camera, what are those tires, etc.." sorry haha.

What have you done to the suspension? The articulation is massive over those rocks in that last video, looks incredible.

Im sorry if it came across like I was whining guys. Didn't mean to be at all. I just thought it was a cool video that's all. I was proud of it. Hehe. Thanks for the nice comments.

Suspension is stock with almost all preload off the springs. Many say this allows the rear to drag too much under acceleration, and I agree, it does. But it also allows the most articulation. Which is most important to me.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    It snowed here about 6 inches yesterday. I was hoping to get back out again and get some more video. Maybe tomorrow...
    Any luck getting back out for a snow vid?

RC Qualifier
    That's really cool. I was looking at the contour system myself, but its good to know of other options. I wouldn't even have known about the contour one if not for a LHS guy, before that all I'd heard of was the GoPro stuff.
    P2de VXL - Summit

For this stuff... my opinion is that the Re-Play camera is ideal. Its SO much smaller and more sleek than the others... the Go pro makes your truck REALLY top or side heavy (depending on where you mount it) and really changes how the truck is balanced. I tried one on my pede a long time ago and it just caused it to flip... I tried on on my summit last summer and again, it threw the balance off all together. This one is nearly impossible to feel on the truck. The Contour is a great camera also. If I was going to buy another camera for 1/1 off road use it would be the contour. But for smaller scale RC stuff the Re-Play fits better.

no more runs yet. we got 6 inches of snow, 3 nights in a row so everything is wet and muddy now. Believe it or not, I don't like getting my summit muddy... dirty is fine... but I avoid mud. Call me crazy. Things are dried up here now and if I can get a few minutes in the next few days I'm going to go back out and run more... maybe get another video. I just got a Motley Crew Catamaran and 4 new 5400mah 50C SPC lipos so I need to get that thing out on the water as well. Im GOING to build a trailer for it so I can tow it with the summit for SURE though. That would just look SO cool.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    cool videos and good feedback on the cameras.
    I too was looking for one that was smaller than the usual go pros.

just a thought (and feel free to ignore it if its not applicable)the position of the camera allows for views of the front left articulation but kinda blocks about half of the screen - maybe mounting it further in front might give a wider angle of view while allowing some body/chassis situational awareness.