RC Racer

After much debate considering jump to LIPO

I am looking at getting the Hitec X4 plus AC charger and 2 Traxxas 5800mah 2c batteries to start.

Charger costs just over $200 and batteries around $70 each. I can get the parts online from a Canadian retailer and not have to worry about customs and crazy shipping prices to Canada.

I would charge 2 NIMH (emaxx) and 2 LIPO's (erevo) at the same time.

I would need 4 of the traxxas banana plug adapters and another balancing board for the other lipo.

This should handle just about anything I throw at it and be able to handle some 3s batteries in the future.

Any other additions anyone can think of??

You shouldn't charge two NiMH at the same time. Lipo's no prob, parallel balance adapter & charge cables..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 03-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    q
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    You shouldn't charge two NiMH at the same time. Lipo's no prob, parallel balance adapter & charge cables..
    the charger hes talking about charges 4 batteries at once.

RC Racer
    This charger has 4 separate ports.

Are the traxxas batteries decent?

Other brands are difficult to find locally in Canada.

sorry my bad.. I see it now.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Not sure how crazy shipping prices are to Canada or what the customs issues are, but there are way less expensive options. I'm sure you've done the math. I've heard very few if any complaints about Traxxas batteries. You will be very pleased with performance running LiPo's. I might have charger envy. Mine only charges two at a time.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas batteries seem a bit pricey and don't hold a charge as consistently as some others in some reviews. I also hear that their chargers aren't too great. I am no expert (just got into the hobby actually) nor do I speak from experience. Just saying what a few people that know allot more about it than I do have told me. So far my only experience with lipos are one Onyx 5700 that has been freakin awesome I also have a couple of 3000 NiHs. One is Onyx 3000 and the other is Traxxas 3000. I have an Onyx charger that charges two batteries at a time and can handle just about any kind. It's not a "quick charger" though. I have a SPC 6000 30C lipo on the way. Can't wait to try it out.

RC Competitor
    I have been running two ******* ********** 5800mah 2S 40~80C Lipo Packs. The performance is excellent with good punch and no noticeable voltage droop under load. I get about 20-25min run time with the voltage cut off set to 3.4V. They also fit perfectly in the battery compartment.

RC Competitor
    I speak from experience, as I have the EXACT same setup you've described. I have the 2 3300mah NiMH batteries that came with the truck and 2 Traxxas 2s 25c 5800mah LiPOs with the Hitec X4 plus AC. I'm very new to the hobby, but so far I'm happy with the batteries and the charger. My next purchase will be more LiPOs after I give the NiMHs to my neighbor.

I can balance charge both LiPOs at 5.8v in just under an hour. The NiMHs take about 35-40 minutes at 4v. The charger is very confusing at first since the documentation on it sucks, but awesome once you figure it out.

Good luck!

RC Racer
    Awesome that is what I am looking at. I will use the nimh in my brushed emaxx and now have 2 sets.

Now I just have to figure out how paranoid to be with charging the lipos....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I charge my 4 5000MAH NIMH's in series all the time. They all peak excellent.
    Wondering why you shouldn't charge them together?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by n_gifford View Post
    I speak from experience, as I have the EXACT same setup you've described. I have the 2 3300mah NiMH batteries that came with the truck and 2 Traxxas 2s 25c 5800mah LiPOs with the Hitec X4 plus AC. I'm very new to the hobby, but so far I'm happy with the batteries and the charger. My next purchase will be more LiPOs after I give the NiMHs to my neighbor.

I can balance charge both LiPOs at 5.8v in just under an hour. The NiMHs take about 35-40 minutes at 4v. The charger is very confusing at first since the documentation on it sucks, but awesome once you figure it out.

Good luck!
    5.8 and 4 amps maybe?
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun6 View Post
    Awesome that is what I am looking at. I will use the nimh in my brushed emaxx and now have 2 sets.

Now I just have to figure out how paranoid to be with charging the lipos....
    I guess you could say I'm paranoid with mine. Nice batteries are quite an investment and I intend to make them last.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bernomad View Post
    5.8 and 4 amps maybe?
    Yes, sorry. Not paying attention.....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by n_gifford View Post
    I guess you could say I'm paranoid with mine. Nice batteries are quite an investment and I intend to make them last.
    Balanced charging at 1C rate is pretty safe. Just be mindful when you set up parameters on your charger before each charge. Get some charging bags if you really want to be safe. I've had no probs with Lipo's and still keep an eye on them when charging. Does your charger have a storage feature? It will help prolong the life of your batts if you store them correctly. My charger defaults storage voltage at 3.85V balanced.

I recently got a couple of the SPC 2S 30C 6000's. They work great.
    Last edited by bernomad; 03-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Racer
    I have a woodworking shop in my back yard. I think I will charge the batteries in there with some bags.

I will either charge them on one of my benches on some ceramic tile or plate aluminum of buy some meta shelving and charge them on that. In either case they will be in the middle of the shop with nothing around them.

I think I will do a storage charge after using them and then give them a final charge just before I will use them.

Does this sound reasonable?

RC Racer
    Sounds safe to me. I charge them without bags on a shelf in the house or under the hood of my truck when we're out and about. You're a better role model than I.
    ERBE, MERV, REVO, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    My set up ,very affordable -

Onyx 245 - dual everything charger , comes with 2 deans/traxxas/tamiya banana plugs , balance boards . 3 cell lipo max on each side , and you can mix and match NIMH , 2 cell , 3 cell , life etc .... $119.00

Onyx 2cell 25c 5000mah batts - $50 each
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-tmaxx View Post
    My set up ,very affordable -

Onyx 245 - dual everything charger , comes with 2 deans/traxxas/tamiya banana plugs , balance boards . 3 cell lipo max on each side , and you can mix and match NIMH , 2 cell , 3 cell , life etc .... $119.00

Onyx 2cell 25c 5000mah batts - $50 each
    If you don't plan on 1C charging any pack past 5000 MAH, this is perfect.
    Last edited by djkurious; 03-28-2012 at 10:28 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by djkurious View Post
    I charge my 4 5000MAH NIMH's in series all the time. They all peak excellent.
    Wondering why you shouldn't charge them together?
    The series part is key. Nimh's don't like parallel charging.

Quote Originally Posted by djkurious View Post
    If you don't plan on 1C charging any pack past 5000 MAH, this is perfect.
    There are certainly some value priced options out there.....

I'm a big ******* fanboi. Chargers, lipos, tools, just about anything from them has been a great value.

Don't be shy about getting a decent charger... I just picked up a 20 amp charger, and it already feels a little small.... if you've got multiple sets of batteries, get something that will charge them all quickly. My days of 4+ hour charges are gone... but I'm still stuck at 1+ hour charges to get all 6 packs up to speed.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bernomad View Post
    Balanced charging at 1C rate is pretty safe. Just be mindful when you set up parameters on your charger before each charge. Get some charging bags if you really want to be safe. I've had no probs with Lipo's and still keep an eye on them when charging. Does your charger have a storage feature? It will help prolong the life of your batts if you store them correctly. My charger defaults storage voltage at 3.85V balanced.

I recently got a couple of the SPC 2S 30C 6000's. They work great.
    Since I've purchased the LiPOs, I haven't let them sit long enough to need to storage charge them, but yes it does.