RC Champion

Cool Krallopian's Summit Build

So look what I GOT TODAY!

Totally awesome, HUGE huge HUUGE car, after being so used to this 1:16 I was blown away when I opened the box and she was the size of the entire box! So awesome, I plugged the batteries in and drove around my driveway really quick, batteries were of course dead, so they're on charge right now. I need a bloody paroboard or whatever they're called for my Traxxas Peak Plus 6amp.

I tried crawling back in to my house, but the batteries were so dead AND when I gave it extra gas in low gear and locked diffs, I heard a slip, almost like the slipper clutch - I HOPE that's all it was haha.

It's awesome! Here's some pics:

Fresh out of the box:

Puttin' its foot down saying who's boss:

More tough-guy action:

I was lucky they had the 2012 with the LVC:

Showing my mini Revo's remote compared to sexy new TQi remote:

I'm going to be posting a whole bunch on here!

PLANNED upgrades:
    Black Chassis
    Front/Rear Chassis Braces
    Custom LED
    Castle ESC and maybe even motor
    Black Rockers - Maybe Alum with bearings, not sure yet
    Black Wheels perhaps other rubber, I have to see how this rubber holds up! Not a fan of the plastic chrome though
    The driveshafts feel like an over sized straw, so probably something there.
    Probably RPM arms etc... once these get all scratched up

That's all I can think of for now!

Questions I have:

How are the stock steering servos on these guys? Can they be torqued safely - if I'm against a wall and turn, will that hurt them or does the servo saver kick in?

I've heard that the motor is more than powerful enough to bust through these driveshafts, is it safe to always drive in locked diff mode?

Is there any issues with switching gears, should I always be stopped?

Does it matter if you're moving or not when you change differentials to locked/unlocked?

Anyone have issues gearing higher than whatever the stock gearing is on these guys? I know my Mini Revo came 26/50 and I've run 22/50 to 32/50 with a "big block" without any issues, does anyone mess with pinions on this car? The two speed transmission is exciting, I'm curious if I can change out the second gear for a higher top speed or if you get what you get and that's it?

Hahah, I just wanna go DRIVE IT only one battery is almost charged. Charging the stock 7cell 3000 at 3amps because I'm behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    So look what I GOT TODAY!

Totally awesome, HUGE huge HUUGE car, after being so used to this 1:16 I was blown away when I opened the box and she was the size of the entire box! So awesome, I plugged the batteries in and drove around my driveway really quick, batteries were of course dead, so they're on charge right now. I need a bloody paroboard or whatever they're called for my Traxxas Peak Plus 6amp.

I tried crawling back in to my house, but the batteries were so dead AND when I gave it extra gas in low gear and locked diffs, I heard a slip, almost like the slipper clutch - I HOPE that's all it was haha.

I'm going to be posting a whole bunch on here!

PLANNED upgrades:
    Black Chassis
    Front/Rear Chassis Braces
    Custom LED
    Castle ESC and maybe even motor
    Black Rockers - Maybe Alum with bearings, not sure yet
    Black Wheels perhaps other rubber, I have to see how this rubber holds up! Not a fan of the plastic chrome though
    The driveshafts feel like an over sized straw, so probably something there. Good luck with that.
    Probably RPM arms etc... once these get all scratched up

That's all I can think of for now!

Questions I have:

How are the stock steering servos on these guys? Can they be torqued safely - if I'm against a wall and turn, will that hurt them or does the servo saver kick in? Servo saver will usually save you. Biggest problem with servos is them fighting each other due to misalignment. Get rid of the buzzing!

I've heard that the motor is more than powerful enough to bust through these driveshafts, is it safe to always drive in locked diff mode? Absolutely not. Unlock whenever you can, especially on high-grip surfaces. Should never drive in high gear with diffs locked. Read the manual!

Is there any issues with switching gears, should I always be stopped? 5 mph or less. Stopped is best.

Does it matter if you're moving or not when you change differentials to locked/unlocked? 5 mph or less. Stopped is best.

Anyone have issues gearing higher than whatever the stock gearing is on these guys? I know my Mini Revo came 26/50 and I've run 22/50 to 32/50 with a "big block" without any issues, does anyone mess with pinions on this car? The two speed transmission is exciting, I'm curious if I can change out the second gear for a higher top speed or if you get what you get and that's it? It is much wiser to gear DOWN slightly due to motor temps. This is not a speed truck. You have one of those already.

Hahah, I just wanna go DRIVE IT only one battery is almost charged. Charging the stock 7cell 3000 at 3amps because I'm behaving.
    If you get LiPos that can handle a 4C rate and a GOOD charger/psu, you can charge a pair of 2S packs from storage level to full in about 28 minutes (14 minutes each.) Of course, I'd never try that with a $50 battery cooker.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Thanks for the answers, I was on cloud nine when I posted that and was too excited to read the manual and just wanted quick answers haha, I hate those guys

I have the Traxxas Peak Plus 6amp their new one, it's a solid charger! I know this isn't a speed truck I've just seen soooooooooo many videos of guys driving quickly! I don't want to do 50mph, but thought 25 was expected out of this thing. No biggy, I'm more interested in crawling around my property! I have 25 acres of everything from pavement to dirt to mud to grass to gravel... forest, smooth grass, and tons of rocks - two rock piles about 1000sq feet! Benefit of living on a retired farm haha! Best car for it, I just don't have WATER! Well a fish pond but I think I'd be killed if I went near it =D

Thanks again!

Side note, you say ascii code 248 is for me it's 0176 :P

RC Qualifier
    Since KSB hit most of that for you, I'll just say drive it a bit before spending $200-300+ on motor upgrade. Much more than stock power, and you start entering territories of speed and torque that the Summit isn't really 'intended' for. I find the stock motor, and many say that a single dewalt, provides ample power for crawling and zooming around in the high gear, plus keeping the stock EVX-2 and brushed motor leaves you waterproof.

Also, the stock servos do seem to leave a bit of room for improvement for crawling. Just trail driving, going up and over roots and rocks you're fine, but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to turn the wheel but the weight of the rig is pushing on it, the wheel won't turn. I plan to throw a few 150-180oz each home-waterproofed servos in there to test out what I can achieve with a bit more torque. There are single servo options with 300-400+ oz/in, and even I believe a waterproof Hitec for around $50 (so $100 for 2) that puts out 157oz, giving it 314oz total (vs 125 ea x2 = 250oz/in total stock).

But no matter what you do you win because you bought a Summit, nothing else like it. It's as if Traxxas hit a Rubicon with a shrink ray and moved the bits around a little so no one would notice

*edit* You posted while I was typing so I'll add this...if you get a parallel charge board the Traxxas 6amp can charge two big lipos at once (I'm using 2x8200mah from SMC, many here use SPC, both work good). Since they're 2s it puts little to no stress on the internal PSU to do so, so the fact that it takes like 2-3 hours for a full 16,000mah charge is a moot point. But since you'll probably just be doing a storage charge which takes half that long, it really has proved sufficient for me. Its slow enough to irk me at times, but fast enough so that I can't bring myself to spend $200+ on a proper setup just yet. You can either get the Traxxas parallel board that they make, or buy one from Progressive RC like I did. I got that one so that when I do get an iCharger here in the near future, I can just use that board for it.
    Last edited by Toyboarder; 03-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Awesome, thanks Toyboarder!

I have a couple 300oz servos from Spektrum (S6030) that I bought for making a custom flipper for my Mini, when it flips over, I hit an aux channel and the servo pops an arm up that flips it back on it's wheels. I was thinking of stealing them for steering, but I figure the steering LINKAGES would need work.

Either way I haven't even DRIVEN IT YET outside of dead batteries and it was too slow for me then haha. Once they're charged I'll have a much better idea how it runs. First upgrade will be lipos though, I'm looking at dual 5000's 25c $50 each. When I bought my Mini Revo it was the brushed version, and as SOON as I hooked up a lipo it burst in to flames, I was so ticked.. BUT because of that I've been able to fall in to this hobby

Hopefully this one doesn't do that!!

Right now my second battery is almost dead, 10.6v and it's put more than 3000mah in to the battery :O I know my 2200lipos take 2250-2270 sometimes, lets hope it stops charging annnnnnnnnnnny second now!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Once you drive in on fully charged batteries you might find it to be fast enough for what it is meant for. I was thinking the same thing... "20-25mph?? that is soo slow" but when you actually see this beast cook along at 20mph... it is way different than the 16th cooking along at 25mph.

I just picked up 2 7600mah LiPo's...
    I can have them from LVC to ready in about 50 minutes.
    From storage to ready in 25 minutes or so @ 1C.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Haha, yeah I just went through the set of stockers, car is awesome! A BIT faster would be nice, but it's of no real concern right now. I hate nimhs for their drop off..

This car's awesome, plenty of crawling power! Just did some very cool things around the property but it's bloody freezing again out there I can't feel my fingers as I type. I unplugged the battery at 3170mah I guess it was totally dead, but the charger didn't stop it automatically, this time I'll see how far it gets. Just letting them cool down before I throw one back on the charger.

Sometimes it doesn't switch in to second gear for a few seconds, why is this? I've learned that all I need to do is move forward and let it stop itself that usually kicks it in.

Anyone have issues going from locked to unlocked to locked to unlocked, first, second, first, second etc... ? Apparently that's how I drive, constantly in and out of locked diffs and 1st and second gears.

RC Champion
    Hah once I get a better camera I'll start grabbin out door footage/pics of what I can get this thing in to. For now, here's my kitchen being terrorized

My DOG doesn't care at all about this thing, he sees it coming and stands there, I bump him and he casually moves out of the way, it's so funny. My horses are petrified of this thing!

Regarding servo action, esp. rear diff and transmission: make sure that the linkages are totally free from binding. Sometimes the linkages and wires vie for supremacy. Make them play nice. You may also find that rotating a servo horn one spline either direction will give you better results.
    I use this line "But honey, I'm not playing with my truck...I'm performing preventative maintenance!"

RC Champion
    Haha it's all about preventative with my excuses too

I already moved the wires around from the way they were because I noticed that could be a problem, good to know I wasn't just being over the top.

After one bash with this thing, I realize......... my front skid plate is going to be so messed up in no time :\

RC Qualifier
    T-Bone Racing has a few solutions for that. I've crawled around on all sorts of crap and no damage to the truck thus far. You could feasibly skip the front bumper and under plate, and just get the A-Arm skids, because they do take the most abuse, but they all do their jobs quite well. The arm skids do tend to hold on to things like rocks, but that too can be prevented by making some milk carton blockers in between the top and bottom rear a-arms...I don't remember who posted the thread on how to do them, but I'm sure someone will chime in, if not google.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Yeah I've been pondering t-bone things for a few months now, this might be a good time to jump on them!

First gear vs second gear. Has anyone had issues driving full speed in first gear? There is plenty more torque on the entire system so I imagine it can't be good but I'd like to hear if anyone has had problems or if somewhere in the manual it says this and I just missed it. I've twisted a few axles in my rear car, and shattered a few driveshafts and couplers horsing around in first gear..

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Haha it's all about preventative with my excuses too

I already moved the wires around from the way they were because I noticed that could be a problem, good to know I wasn't just being over the top.

After one bash with this thing, I realize......... my front skid plate is going to be so messed up in no time :\
    IDK - I'm slowly grinding my arms and skids away. July 2011 until now and I figure I have at least another 18 months until I'll want to replace them.
    Thinking about that...we know that RPM arms are more flexible. I'm pretty sure they are also softer. My favorite places to run are rock outcrops like these (all due respect to your kitchen, hahaha):

I don't think this environment will be so kind to softer plastic.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-27-2012 at 10:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Looks like an awesome place to crawl around! I really love the look of the white Summits!

Here's a buncha videos from my phone mashed together, started recording last night - when I got the car - till recently.

Can't get the white anymore. The galaxy's supply of Ucantketchmium - necessary for the production of the white trucks - has been exhausted.

RC Champion
    gotta love linoleum. my kitchen is a drifting haven also. anywho, nice summit. i want one now.

RC Champion
    Heh if only it was linoleum! It's left overs from this Italian family that lived here before us.. " thick tile with 2-4" of concrete underneath!!! In our kitchen if we ripped it up, everything would drop almost 4" and in the basement forget it (where the trucks are spinning around and around) took a sledge to it once already and it did nothing but chip these things. Ugliest floor in the world and probably costs $25 a tile. AH WELL!

Summit is too big for messing around inside, that's what the Merv is for now haha

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Can't get the white anymore. The galaxy's supply of Ucantketchmium - necessary for the production of the white trucks - has been exhausted.
    Lol yes it's true they just don't make em like that anymore the other colors started a petition or something, I heard

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I have a bunch of that Ucantketchmium in some of my other rides, I'll have to give it a go and just see for myself! :P Hahaha

RC Qualifier
    love the build man, now you just have to make it happen hahah

RC Champion
    Thanks mang! Hahah I have Traxxas to thank for it so far...

The light bar is going to be here on Thursday. I've been working on my Merv all day, just did the 100k fluid and fiiiiiiinally got my flipper bar! It's a team associated rear chassis brace, but not anymore!

This is the arm as of 30 minutes ago: http://youtu.be/xgkC1bYNzIo

Let's keep the vehicles in their correct forums, okay?

RC Champion
    Sure sorry? Figured since I posted about waiting on lights for the summit leaves me nothing to do but work on my other traxxas vehicle it wouldn't be a problem and perhaps anyone here with Summits only could see this and want to buy an E-Revo, but sure I'll stick to Summits on the Summit forum =)

RC Qualifier
    welcome to summit ownership!

i miss walking my summit... must set aside some time this weekend to RC.....