RC Champion

Ok Jimmie and Daniel - we have a project! TQi conversion

Alright, I opened my 2 channel TQi last night to see if the hardware would support 3,4,5 channels. what I found was slots for 3 and 4 under the trim knobs. the unfortunate side to this is the software will not allow me to find the 3/4 menu tree. I get 1 and 2 only.

Talking with Traxxas this morning, the programming is done at the manufacturing plant and that data isnt available outside the plant for use to program a 2 channel to a 4 channel.

I have trouble turning my computer on some days and I sure as heck dont think I can manipulate a program. So, here is where my mind is...

....the 2.4 has the full menu but I dont think that program will support Telemetry even if you added the hardware to the tx. IF some how we could copy the program from a 2.4 tx, we could at least have more channels but no telemetry, OR, copy the program from a 4 channel TQi and upload it to the 2 channel and add switches.

Again, the programming aspect eludes me, perhaps someone out there knows more than I do and can help out

ALL HAIL HACKERS!!!!

"Talking with Traxxas this morning, the programming is done at the manufacturing plant and that data isnt available outside the plant for use to program a 2 channel to a 4 channel."

I think we were told the same thing about turning the 2 channel LINK into a 4 channel. lol

I am in no way a programming expert... lol.
    But I will help whenever and wherever I can.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I need to talk to some buddies, wonder if there is a way to "capture" the program somehow and store it as a file

RC Competitor
    If you don't have an iphone / ipod this may be possible, however pointless as you could just use a 2.4.
    The reason you want the TQI is to take advantage of the phone capabilities.
    The issue I have with the arrangement is the phone updates the transmitter and receivers firmware when its connected. This setting is not able to turn off, it also doen't give you a choice. If it wants to update there's no 'i'll do it later' option, you must do it to use the program.

I think the way to 'hack' it would be to get an android phone to work with the transmitter and change its programming through that.

RC Champion
    basically, at this point, the only capabilities the Iphone gives you is a visual of the program changes so you dont have to use the "menu/set" buttons. None of the other features are available yet because the sensors arent available....

....not sure what I think about this just yet.

Here lately, when I call traxxas, I keep hearing "you're the first person to ask that question"....maybe I should pick up my bow and get ready for hunting season for a few months then come back to my R/Cs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, this is the thing, when you program a microcontroller you have the option to avoid the source code from being read... Sometimes manufacturers forget about that option and you can download the source code (actually is a binary code) and copy it to another microcontroller (if it not a one-time writable)... The thing is, you need a device to program that microcontroller and it's usually more expensive to buy one than to buy a fully functional TQi... But, what I have in mind is to capture the data sent to the MMM when unlocking/locking the speed limit, and then, with that information, create a simple source code with a $5 microcontroller that can send that same information to the MMM without a TQi... In that way, you don't need a TQi or an ipod/iphone to unlock the speed limit... Just to annoy the Traxxas/CC guys... But, for that, I need a TQi and an XO-1 and right now, I don't have the money to buy one...

Last edited by danielhr77; 03-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.