RC Qualifier

Why did the lipo burn up my brushed motor 2s is only 7.4 volts.

My 12t motor lasted threw some serious bashing. I changed it because my local hobby shop told me a nice upgrade would be a speed gem 17t. It lasted for break in on a traxxas 7cell pack, then i put in a 2s genace 30c 5300mah and burnt it up in 2 minutes. Should i not run lipos on a brushed motor. I searched many forums and found it was ok as long as i watched my run times. 2 minutes is hardly a long run time. I even stopped and placed my finger on the motor every lap i did around my yard, was it hot, yes but it didnt burn my finger off.

RC Qualifier
    JUST A ? but did you break it in before you put it in your car????
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Qualifier
    I broke it in in a large parking lot on a traxxas 7cell stock pack the one that came with the truck.
    Im stock gearing too. I put the 12t back in and if i burn that up I know the brushed motor will not last with the lipo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LiPo does not damage brushed motors, heat damages brushed motors. Heat from over gearing, long runtimes or both.

RC poster
    Just a question guys.... what do you do to break a motor in?

RC poster
    Use the water break in method. It works...

First. You do not do the water break in method on a rebuildable open endbell motr like the speed gems. Second. You're gearing is way too high for a 17t and you probably have way too much timing on the motor. Just a question. It is the new re-released speed gems or the older actual epic made speed gems with the copper hardware(brushhoods)?
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    it was a new re-released speed gems. The shop said he was going to look into the motor and see if the new one was not as good as the epic made . He was very surprised as well.
    Last edited by geeves; 03-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.

I can tell you the new Speed gems isn't even made by Epic nor Sagami who manufactured motors for Reedy,Orion, Gm, Altas Kawada etc. All the older brush motors were made in Japan and that new re-release speed gem is base on the cheap chinese motors you see in crawlers now. Quality control is dead now.

RC Qualifier
    What about gearing... Was the stock pinion too tall. Should i move to a 15/90?

Yes your gearing was high. I would try 16/90 at zero degrees timing. Looks like its using stand-up brushes so brush overlapping shouldn't be a issue. I recommend soldering the brushes to the brushhood not using the screw on terminals.. And if you're using the stock bullet connector I highly recommend switching to a deans or traxxas connector. You will greatly lower electrical resistant with should increase power and lower the temps.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I just got back from the local hobby shop. He gave me credit for the old motor and used the money to upgrade to the Traxxas brushless set up. More money out of pocket but it was going to happen soon any how.

Just dont tell the wife!!

Cool. I love brush motors I really do. There is more passion going into it and seeing what setup or changes affect proformance. But they are like classics to our new brushless setups. That's why I bought a new Tekin RS Pro with a 7.5t. I miss the power lol. But always keep a good brush setup just incase something fails. I find brush to be more reliable.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Preston View Post
    Use the water break in method. It works...
    It doesn't work the best use the method described in your owner's manual!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Cool. I love brush motors I really do. There is more passion going into it and seeing what setup or changes affect proformance. But they are like classics to our new brushless setups. That's why I bought a new Tekin RS Pro with a 7.5t. I miss the power lol. But always keep a good brush setup just incase something fails. I find brush to be more reliable.
    I have also found that too....my brushless esc burned out...my brushed one is still going strong.
    However, you'll burn up way more brushed motors than brushless. (In fact..I have about 7 burned out brushed motors...and one burned out brushless.)

You shouldn't be burning up brush motors. Maybe BC I understand brush motors on a technical and mechanical level and know exactly what setup I want. I can easily bash with my hybrid stock pushing 35mph running close to a hour of runtime and the motor is only at 150 using 18/86 gearing. I do a slight skim on the comm(doesn't cut the comm just cleans it).