RC poster

Brushless Blast advice

Ill get right to it. I dropped a velineon 3500 (540 motor) setup in my blast for fun cause the stock
    brushed setup is a joke. With 7 cell Nimh packs, it was a "blast" lol. but when i dropped in the 11.1 volt
    traxxas lipo, it was just was to much juice to even have fun. My question is, ive purchased a 380 velineon
    setup to try instead and am wonderin if anyone has tried this before? Can i run the lipos with the 16th
    scale setup or am i chasing a pipe dream of a brushless, lipo runnin blast? Id hate to drop all that
    brushless in it again just to run Nimh. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

RC Racer
    Id love to see a vid/pic

RC poster
    With the Velineon set up? Don't know... but you won't be the first running a brushless lipo in the blast that I know.

RC Racer
    I came over from the 1/16 forum. From what I know you can. The 1/16 esc has a lipo mode. The only thing i would say is watch the motor temps when running 3s

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpede006 View Post
    Ill get right to it. I dropped a velineon 3500 (540 motor) setup in my blast for fun cause the stock
    brushed setup is a joke. With 7 cell Nimh packs, it was a "blast" lol. but when i dropped in the 11.1 volt
    traxxas lipo, it was just was to much juice to even have fun. My question is, ive purchased a 380 velineon
    setup to try instead and am wonderin if anyone has tried this before? Can i run the lipos with the 16th
    scale setup or am i chasing a pipe dream of a brushless, lipo runnin blast? Id hate to drop all that
    The traxxas 1/16 motor has to high of Kv for rc boat use. In rc boats you want a lower Kv, torque motor. Ideal rc boat kv is about 1500. The traxxas motor works fine for a sport boat, however switching over to say an aquacraft motor would be your best bet for boat use.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpede006 View Post
    Someone posted about using a lower KV in these. To some extent, true... if our boats were heavier than they are. The other end is what you said, it becomes uncontrollable because its too light. Many people out there are using higher KV brushless motors in the Blast but they are all using a smaller 2S Lipo. The lower voltage slows the output of course but maintains control ability. To many volts sends the boat off the rocker and the boats go from fun to stupid hard to control. Especially since Lipos are, in most cases, smaller and lighter than their nimh brethren. On the other hand, you could have near sunk your boat with the 7 cells like I did... I can still smell the thing. My 7 cell 5000mah batteries weigh almost twice what my Traxxas 6 cell 3300mah weighs.

I dumped the 8.4 7 Cell in my boat stock and enjoyed it... for a second, but the weight of the pack made it pointless as it kept submerging the front end because the motor doesn't have the speed and the prop doesn't have the pitch to get the boat up and running once again. Poor power to weight ratio in that combo... guess I'll leave the 7 cells to my truck.

Another suggestion I'll make to help with all this is to get an Octura 4mm to 1/8" drive shaft conversion and a 40mm prop in lieu of the 32mm prop the Blast has stock. Like a real boat, the propeller makes a world of difference. I'd suggest a metal prop but if you hit the shore like I do its not worth the added expense. Funrcboats.com is a great place to get the upgraded u-joint as well as props and shafts...

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, that means that the word has been blocked by the language filter. If a word has been blocked, Traxxas has deemed it to be inappropriate for use on their forums. You must edit these words out of your posts to avoid earning warning points.

Can't we edit posts on here? I would like to correct something. The oe prop is 30mm not 32, 32 could be a good option for additional power with the right pitch as well.... man. Can't teach me anything...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-18-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: post merge & language. BTW, you have one hour to edit your post.

RC poster
    Sorry it took to so long to get back. Been busy with a new stampede project.
    After some extensive mods to run the smaller(dimension) motor and get it all cooled,
    I spun the shaft right thru the plastic coupler lol. But the boat
    was bananas before the coupler let go lol. Flat out movin jack! But anyways,
    Im gonna mill out some thick, aluminum coupler joints at work some time. Might also have to
    invest in a 2 cell just to keep things together. I'll post some pics when I get a chance!
    Happy trails!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefridge189 View Post
    The traxxas 1/16 motor has to high of Kv for rc boat use. In rc boats you want a lower Kv, torque motor. Ideal rc boat kv is about 1500. The traxxas motor works fine for a sport boat, however switching over to say an aquacraft motor would be your best bet for boat use.
    I have to say that as light as the blast is, it don't take a whole lot of torque to get this thing movin. And I'm lookin for all out speed, not hole shot.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinewil81 View Post
    Someone posted about using a lower KV in these. To some extent, true... if our boats were heavier than they are. The other end is what you said, it becomes uncontrollable because its too light. Many people out there are using higher KV brushless motors in the Blast but they are all using a smaller 2S Lipo. The lower voltage slows the output of course but maintains control ability. To many volts sends the boat off the rocker and the boats go from fun to stupid hard to control. Especially since Lipos are, in most cases, smaller and lighter than their nimh brethren. On the other hand, you could have near sunk your boat with the 7 cells like I did... I can still smell the thing. My 7 cell 5000mah batteries weigh almost twice what my Traxxas 6 cell 3300mah weighs.

I dumped the 8.4 7 Cell in my boat stock and enjoyed it... for a second, but the weight of the pack made it pointless as it kept submerging the front end because the motor doesn't have the speed and the prop doesn't have the pitch to get the boat up and running once again. Poor power to weight ratio in that combo... guess I'll leave the 7 cells to my truck.

Another suggestion I'll make to help with all this is to get an Octura 4mm to 1/8" drive shaft conversion and a 40mm prop in lieu of the 32mm prop the Blast has stock. Like a real boat, the propeller makes a world of difference. I'd suggest a metal prop but if you hit the shore like I do its not worth the added expense. Funrcboats.com is a great place to get the upgraded u-joint as well as props and shafts...

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, that means that the word has been blocked by the language filter. If a word has been blocked, Traxxas has deemed it to be inappropriate for use on their forums. You must edit these words out of your posts to avoid earning warning points.

Can't we edit posts on here? I would like to correct something. The oe prop is 30mm not 32, 32 could be a good option for additional power with the right pitch as well.... man. Can't teach me anything...
    I bought a parts boat at my lhs that had an old 38mm traxxas nitro vee prop on it that I've had good luck with. Plus, I'm not dealing with the whole balancing and sharpening deal of metal prop. This is my little pond boat that just got a lil outta control. I'll save big money for my spartan and apaches lol
    Last edited by Greenpede006; 04-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.

RC poster
    ^^^ my thoughts exactly! I've made my Blast a mere kick your pond boat as well. We have a few guys running other starter boats that quick than the stock Blast. When they saw mine stock they didn't have much to say. But when I get my new drive shaft and coupling in... HA! I'm thinking my 3900 KV motor will give them heck.

I won't boast a bigger battery due to their weight, I've done that before and it wasn't worth it anyway.

I'll post my build pics to date sometime here shortly.

This post has been edited because of language abuse violation(s). If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-30-2012 at 06:33 PM.

RC poster
    After a lot of trial-and error, runnin 2 cell lipos with the 1/16th scale
    Velineon ESC and motor is definitely worth the work. I had enough room
    left over to make a larger cooling spool for the motor, a cage for the ESC,
    And run a second pickup on the port side. And 3 cell lipos were really just
    to heavy anyways. Eventually, I'll stop bein lazy and get on this forum from
    the computer instead of my iPhone so I can post some pics/vids

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys - just want to share what I've done... I have a 4300kv 9t brushless, new Seaking 35a ESC, and 4000mah 2s lipo. Have both the 432 and 435 props - not sure about them yet vs stock. (set screw to secure the prop on the shaft is whack) Anyways, just need to change my water pickup placement and I'll be golden! Also added some LEDs Some pics:

Last edited by Gopherboy6956; 07-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Very clean setup!

RC Enthusiast
    So yea - Since those photos. Blew up the Motor (Magnet cracked), Flooded the ESC (Waterproof, it ain't) and then proceeded to kill the stock setup (brushed stock motor like, broke a brush? idk, don't really care)

So then.

I needed to redo my drivetrain, and i figured I'd solve some of my other issues while I was at it too.
    I got a new motor (leopard 3650 2450kv) and a new ESC (proboat 60A) and then a new Radio (traxxas 2.4ghz), installed the new octura x432 prop, new turn fins, and two new water pickups.

I haven't had it in the water yet but hopefully it effing rocks.

Here's some pics of the rear - no hardware pics yet - but did I have to mod to get that proboat ESC to fit.

Edited for language abuse. If you see starred out words in your post, you must edit them out, as they have been blocked by the language filter.

Here's an Interior shot of the Hardware:

I had to pull some Magic with the radio box mounting, but that ProBoat ESC fit!

Last edited by cooleocool; 07-27-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    I have a spare 3500 vxl setup sitting around and also can get this blast cheap .. would it be worth it if I could put the whole thing together for under 100 bucks .. would be running 2S 5000 mah have 3 s also but seeing as its been said its too hard to control ,
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Enthusiast
    That would be pretty good. 2s is just flirting on the edge of control loss. 3s is almost completely insane. That being said however, I've got two more things to do to my boat and we'll see how it works on 3s...

RC Enthusiast
    Trying to gain some control - Don't judge me lol

RC Competitor
    I suspect using either the Spartan silicon jacket or a proper alum. jacket would offer significantly better cooling.

RC Enthusiast
    That might be the case, however cooling actually isn't even an issue. With the two water pickups i have independently cooling the motor and ESC, those two items barely get warm!