Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Posts
    32

    Breaking in a new brushed motor

    I have read and watched a lot of stuff on breaking in a new motor. Wet, dry etc. But one thing I have not seen anyone do is simply connect the loose motor to the esc, drop it in a glass or bowl of water and let it run with the throttle trim. I have seen them do it that way dry, but why not wet? If proper precautions were taken why wouldn't this work just as well?

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,215
    I don't see why not. However I don't recommend that method. Break it in according to what it says in your instruction manual.
    I have proof that that way is better. The motor that I broke in according to instruction manual lasted almost three months.
    The one that I broke in using the dry method lasted not nearly as long.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    109
    I concur. My experience is the same as upbasher. Break in your motor according to the user manual procedure and your Titan will live longer. Water break in works and may give more power initially but at the expense of motor life. It states in the manual that water can shorten motor life.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by fxman View Post
    I have read and watched a lot of stuff on breaking in a new motor. Wet, dry etc. But one thing I have not seen anyone do is simply connect the loose motor to the esc, drop it in a glass or bowl of water and let it run with the throttle trim. I have seen them do it that way dry, but why not wet? If proper precautions were taken why wouldn't this work just as well?
    Most motor manufacturers want you to break a motor in at roughly 3 volts. That's why using your esc is not a good technique.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    324
    I bought a battery holder and some alligator clips at the hobby store for next to nothing.

    Two C cells is 3 volts. Let my motor run down two batteries and voila!

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    I bought a battery holder and some alligator clips at the hobby store for next to nothing.

    Two C cells is 3 volts. Let my motor run down two batteries and voila!
    That's the way to do it! My closest LHS sells helis, planes, cars, and everything else, so they have a bunch of different battery holders for starters, ignitors, receiver packs, etc. Cheap too.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Posts
    940
    After ten or so minutes I use some motor cleaner and then again after the batteries go dead and then all I do with the motor is oil the bushings and leave the brushes alone. For some reason if I keep the comutator and brushes clean the motor does not last. Went through two motors quickly and then I just left the brushes alone on the third motor and it lasted twice as long.
    Broken parts=New better parts

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South of St Louis
    Posts
    5,986
    I replaced my Titan with an equivalent turn reedy motor with replaceable brushes and access to the commutators for cleaning and maintenance. That's a reliable setup. Titans are throwaway motors.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I replaced my Titan with an equivalent turn reedy motor with replaceable brushes and access to the commutators for cleaning and maintenance. That's a reliable setup. Titans are throwaway motors.
    Titans aren't totally useless. You can use them to stir pancake batter lol

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    905
    In my Rustler manual they recommended to run it with the stock gearing, on a flat, paved surface with no full-throttle starts and most of the driving done at high speeds.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,079
    Oh boy where we go. Do not break in any brush motor with a heavy load(aka running it in the truck). To the OP, just set the throttle trim to 1/4 and run it 5 to 10mins. The water breakin method is highly recommended from racers b/c it keeps the motor cool and is easier on the comm then dry. Just put a drop of oil on bushings you're really to go. I recommend replacing the junky bullet connectors to a low resistance plug like a deans connector or traxxas. Lower resistance=more power lower temps.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •