RC Racer

Track this weekend, any advice!?

I have a fresh transmission rebuild with new bearings and grease, and changed the grease in the differential. Changed the shock oils to 35w in the front and 40w in the rear. I changed the shock placement on the lower arms to the second to the outside in the rear and the farthest out in the front for a lower stance. Aside from tires, which I am yet to buy, what can I do to help this thing get around the track. Oh and yes I am yet to go LiPo, I am working at things slowly but trying things out as I go.

Traxxas Slash 2wd VXL 5807

RC Champion
    Bring plenty of batteries! Don't want to go through two batteries and then go "oh darn, now I have to go home!"

RC Racer
    [B(check) I have 3 batteries for it right now and that gives me enought time at the track and one recharge usually does my time limit. [/B]

Good luck, I'm in the same boat with you. I'm going to start racing in April and have never raced before.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    What kind of truck are you running? Mine is the 2wd Slash VXL. Are you Lipo yet or still stock batteries?

RC Enthusiast
    Depends on the track layout but I think your shock oil will be to light.
    Maybe 40-50 front and 50-60 rear ?

RC Racer
    Ill have to see how these shocks do for this run. They told me to try them out in small steps so I dont go overboard.

RC Qualifier
    Slow is fast!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    A smooth, wreck free run from beginning to end is key. Easier said than done though. You are your own worst enemy.

1. The right tires, and tire maintenance and care, will make the biggest improvement in handling.

2. I dont care what your setup is, drive the truck within its limits. If you are flipping in the turns, you are entering the turn too fast and missing your trucks braking points, ...or not being smooth enough on your corner entry, and throttle exit(spinning out). The fast guys have been dialed for a long time on this track, and their truck will look just plain faster. Drive your own race. There are things you can tune to improve your handling, but you cannot change your suspension settings while you are driving, so "love the one your with"-CSN.

3. Undergear for the first heat, and gear up as you go. It will help you to not overshoot jumps, and turns.It will also help you to gain confidence in your driving. Who cares if you are off the pace for the first qualifier, I can guarantee you will turn more laps this way as a new racer, and the guy who turns the most laps is the TQ. I have been 2x as fast as the a-main winner down the back strait, but he is picking up 5 seconds a lap on me. Wonder why...

4. Your gonna be nervous, but it will pass the more you race. Just knuckle down, get through it and dont sweat the small stuff.

EDIT: My number 1 goal every time the start tone sounds, is to get more laps than the race before. I get the results from that days race and study my races, lap for lap. That way I can see how my mistakes handicapped me. If you can pick out your fastest lap, and remember what line you took its golden. I was running oval, and running a wider line. It felt fast. During a 2nd heat I decided to go inside and run 1 foot off the pipe all the way around the oval for 10 laps just to see what the difference was. I gained 2/10ths a sec per lap over the other good laps even know it felt slower. This is a 60+ lap 5 min race. Every 5 good laps I gain a second. HUGE. I went from loosing ground to being competitive. Dont be afraid to try something different.
    Last edited by rag6; 03-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    I started driving my slash on a track recently too. I oiled up my front shocks with 50wt & my rear with 60wt as recommended for racing. The first thing to break was the rear shock tower. I don't know why the towers r made of plastic instead of nylon like everything else. RPM towers front & rear were installed. The stock towers are definitely a weak point.

RC Champion
    my biggest improvement for the track were good tires. front and back, not just the back. brushless was a nice improvement but after i went brushless my slash kept sliding out and just didnt handle well at the track until i got some new tires. i also went lipo but got a 3s by mistake and a 3s is to much for the track. when you go lipo go with 2s and 5000+mah. i still run nimh also and they are good with my brushless setup but run time is lower and speed is not consistant.

RC Racer
    Here is what I would do as, I was given this set up by a fellow Slash Owner WYD and my son went on to win both the outdoor and Indoor Race season this year. Its proven and it works. you wont be disapointed

First I would rebuild your shocks with the Traxxas rebuild kit (why you might ask?) because if you notice when you take you bottom shock covers off you have two o rings in their and one black spacer. The rebuild kit will give you new orings and the white teflon spacer which is about 100th thinner which don't squeeze the o rings as hard when you put your bottom cap on which makes the shock smoother. Now put 50wt Losi in the front and 60wt Losi oil in the rear. Before you put you shocks on cut some fuel tubing 4mm long and put one on the outside of each front shock. now put your front shock ends back on all the way and then back them off two complete turns, also take the rear shockends out two complete turns. When you put the shocks back on use the outter hole on the front arm and in the rear move the shock out one hole on the arm from the stock postion.

For the front don't use any ride height spacers for front. Just the spring and the srping retainers but no ride height spacer is needed. In the rear you want 1 of the biggest ride height spacers and then the next smaller one for the rear.

Ok in the transmission take the bottom diff apart and clean out the stock grease. Fill it half with with 100,000k silicone diff grease and put it all back together.

I run my batter all the way forward but you might find it is a little loose so then move back 1/2 way.

If you running the stock motor gear it 19/86. For the slipper tighten it up so you spin the wheels. Now keep backing off til is slips about 3 to 6 inches and then tighten 1/4 turn and you should be set.

The work is worth the results. I also run 3 degrees negative front camber and 2 degree rear negative camber.

Making sure everything in the suspension is as free as possible and paying attention to detail is everything on a Slash IMO.

Not sure what tires you are running but depending on the surface I would go AKA Rebars if Clay and AKA Enduros if dirt

Good luck
    Rally Red Rider I & II
    Race'em RC

RC Racer
    Wow, this is getting pretty in depth. Thank you all for the advice and Im going to put some of this to test this weekend.