RC Qualifier

Question How clean the bearings? and What oil can I use?

Is the original bearings from Traxxas.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    If they're the rubber sealed ones you can use a flat object such as a hobby knife to peel the rubber away, exposing the internal roller balls. Flush them out with WD-40 or a silicone spray. Then just use a good water proof grease. Maybe boat trailer wheel bearing grease?
    Matthew 7:7

AvidRC, most are $1 each. I just replace them as they are cheap if you order them, & Keep the most replaced in you go box.
    Wheel, clutch bell I keep plenty of extras on hand.

To clean what you got use an exacto knife & carefully pop the shields off the bearing & hit them with some brake clean & blow them out with some compressed air, relube with a quality bearing oil/or lightly with a light grease and press the shields back on.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    I had heard about using waterproof grease, does this work or is it a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    I had heard about using waterproof grease, does this work or is it a bad idea?
    I have never used any "waterproof grease" but you want a light grease/lithium grease as the thick grease cam cause a lot of drag in the bearings.

Or i use a very small amount of Mobil 1 synthetic in them.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 03-20-2012 at 09:01 PM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Ahh, never thought about the drag using a thicker grease. Thank you.

RC Racer
    i used sewing machine iol lol, its what i could find

I've used the same cleaner and lube that I use for my inline skate bearings.

But given the amount of time to clean and relube it would be better to buy new ones from Avid at $1 each.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by bifft it View Post
    i used sewing machine iol lol, its what i could find
    Not ideal, there's too thick or too thin....
    Heavy grease, too thick
    Light machine oil, sewing machine oil, too thin. Plus not very water resistant.

Motor oil, most of them these days ar synthetic... I do use a tiny bit of bearing grease but do not pack the bearings much with it , a VERY LIGHT COATING. Then I do soak them in motor oil overnight.

I pull one side of the rubber seal off with a pin/needle put them in a tea ball, soak them in naptha agitating the tea ball in the naptha occasionally. Hit it with compressed air to blow them out, using eye ptotection. Take them out and see if they spin freely. If they feel grinding repeat, if still gritty I'd replace it.

Note: Anytime using Naptha or Denatured Alcohol, do this in a very well ventilated arfea or outdoors, avoid direct contact with the skin. I love my Ti Nitrate gloves for doing this... Those chemicals are very nasty......

Then comes the lube, a very light coat of wheel bearing grease, VERY LIGHT, then I soak mine in synthetic motor oil over night in a cup or something like that and then replace the seal (the cleaned seal). clean up the outside of the bearing with a rag and use a little degreaser on the rag to clean the lube form the outside.. Re-install.

Avid's are great, especially the revolutions series which has one metal shield and one rubber shield, put the metal shield to the clean side of the bearing housing, the rubber shirled faces the dirty side. They are very durable and efficient... I actually have them in every place from my steering linkages, tranny, wheel axles, diffs, and I use their Engine bearings as well.

I have 2 full Avid bearing'd TMAXX's... I've used them for over 7 years now. I do clean them and replace them back... I've had them last over 8 gallons. The tranny bearings,,, probably twice that.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 03-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    i just finished cleaning the rears bearings after getting a little to hog wild in the mud. about half where seized i used an exacto knife to take of the seals off, soaked them in pb blaster, sparyed with brake clean, oiled with teflon silicone spray. had to take the torch to a few lol
    ive done the same thing to my stampede a few times it and it has worked out great, but i feel the teflon silicone spray is to light

RC Qualifier
    Ok Thanks for the help
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    how about the Jb bar and chain spray in the brown can? i use that on my binders and its wonderfully sticky and slippery????
    chances are imma have to clean bearings after everytime i take it out, so sewing machine oil seemd the best idea to me at the time. its not like you not ever gonna have to maintain the bearings ever again if you grease them

Quote Originally Posted by bifft it View Post
    how about the Jb bar and chain spray in the brown can? i use that on my binders and its wonderfully sticky and slippery????
    chances are imma have to clean bearings after everytime i take it out, so sewing machine oil seemd the best idea to me at the time. its not like you not ever gonna have to maintain the bearings ever again if you grease them
    Why are you going mudding or getting them wet?

I maintain my wheel bearings about every gallon to 2 gallons. Bearings in my diffs about every 6-8 gallons. TRanny ,,, when they act up, 20 gallons on a tranny and no issues...

Then again I avoid my bearings when using water and detergents when cleaning my truck too, which is a huge bearing destroyer....
    Robin Williams

RC Qualifier
    anyone have a list of all the sizes of bearings the tmaxx 4907 takes?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ross93 View Post
    anyone have a list of all the sizes of bearings the tmaxx 4907 takes?
    here are the bearings with the price

4611 Ball bearings (5x11x4mm) (2)............................................... ............. $6.00
    2728 Ball bearings (5x8x2.5mm) (2) .................................................. ...... $8.00
    5119 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (10x15x4mm) (2) .......................... $7.00
    5116 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (5x11x4mm) (2) ............................ $3.50
    5114 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (5x8x2.5mm) (2) ........................... $4.00
    5117 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (6x12x4mm) (2) ............................ $4.00
    5180 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (6x13x5mm) (2) ....................... $4.00
    5118 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (8x16x5mm) (2) ........................... $6.00

Here is the link of the parts for T-Maxx

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4907_parts_1.pdf
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Might try some kind of router bit bearing lube grease and oil will just collect the dirt dry type lube would be best
    Spring Time is Mudd Time !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Busher Pusher View Post
    Might try some kind of router bit bearing lube grease and oil will just collect the dirt dry type lube would be best
    That's why they have seals.... To keep the dirt out.... I use dry lube on CVD's but not sealed bearings. Dry lube does not prevent rust or repel water.
    Robin Williams

RC poster

Will this work?

I have some Team Associated Diff Lube (4cc Part#6591) for the tranny. Is that too thick for wheel bearings? (My guess would be yes, but I'm just getting back into RC car/trucks, and it's been since 1998 since I've done anything maintenance wise to an RC vehicle.)

Most likely it's too thick.

AvidRC.com, most of their bearings are $1 each.

At those prices iffy bearings get tossed & new ones get dropped in, & there's plenty of spares in the box too.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Most likely it's too thick.

AvidRC.com, most of their bearings are $1 each.

At those prices iffy bearings get tossed & new ones get dropped in, & there's plenty of spares in the box too.
    All my bearings are Avids, that's why I maintain them. So they won't be iffy

Good quality bearings are worth it, Avids' pricing for the quality of the Revolutions Series, steel bearings are well worth it in the long run... A great investment. +1 Wildman,, Couldn't agree more....
    Robin Williams