Thread: ramp plans?

ramp plans?

who has some? looking for plans to build a little kicker ramp or something? or who has a ramp they want to go measure for me? i mostly need a height at the top of ramp, and the length of the bottom of the ramp from front to back. width im not so concerned about, i can design the rest myself though no problem.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion

I have a vid on youtube on a how to but cannot link it because I swore in it once. But mine are 2 ft wide and 4 ft long. My kids misplaced my tape measure and I can't measure the height right now. You can buy 2ft wide by 4ft long sheets almost at every hardware store. Hope this helps you a bit!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

a little bit, i was thinking along the lines of like 4' wide, 2' high (roughly) just wasnt sure how long i should make them is all.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    mine is 2 ft high and 2 ft wide. it works awesome for my truck and my bike. i also have a 4ft high and 4 ft wide quarter pipe that works good for both
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Racer
    I would make it at least 4' long so that it a a gradually increase of steepness. This way your shocks won't bottom out when you hit the ramp fast.
    If you are only going to make it 2' high you could probably do 3' however 4' would be better.

I made one that was roughly 42" long, 4' wide and 3' high (I think it may have been higher). I would have made it longer but I only had some scrap plywood to work with.
    here is a picture of it

RC Qualifier
    mine usually consist of something large and laying a piece of plywood on it, and then a piece of cardboard on it to help ease onto the ramp, lol

seems to do the job well after work anyway

fix, run, break, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    mine usually consist of something large and laying a piece of plywood on it, and then a piece of cardboard on it to help ease onto the ramp, lol

seems to do the job well after work anyway

as fun and easy as that looks, im working with 9lb nitro rc's lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    My buddy's HPI savages are over 12 lbs. We are going to see if my ramps hold up under the weight. If not I'llbe back to the drawing boad...

RC Racer
    If you wanna build a good ramp look at skateboarding kickers. They're perfect!

RC Qualifier
    If you want a good sturdy ramp go to a sports store and get a bike or kicker ramp like billylightning said.

RC Champion
    Get a piece of plywood at Lowe's or somewhere similar and prop it up using cement blocks.
    This method can, IMO be better than building a solid ramp. 1, the plywood is heavy enough to hold up after hard hits with your RCs (Yes Graves, even your heavy 9lb ones . 2, you can adjust the angle easily, and use the stuff for other things if you get tired of it. Just my two cents though
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Why buy ramps when you can build them yourself for less? I built mine to fit inside my Caliber. They are light enough my kids pull them in thier wagon up to the local school and park. I have extra wood to build some steeper and bigger ramps but I have my hand injury stopping me. You can also check out http://www.freshpark.com/ "Freshpark" for some killer ramps...

RC Racer
    those are out of my budget

RC Champion
    Check these threads as well. As long as you dont do a straight angle or a perfect 1/4 circle you should be in business. The best ramps start with an angle under 45* and above 30* and then add a progressive shape to the front edge.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Pics-and-Video

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=Ramp
    Last edited by anr2442; 03-24-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    Check these threads as well. As long as you dont do a straight angle or a perfect 1/4 circle you should be in business. The best ramps start with an angle under 45* and above 30* and then add a progressive shape to the front edge.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Pics-and-Video

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=Ramp
    the bottom link is kind of more what i was thinking. but instead of doing a curved bottom section with a strait top, i was thinking a fully curved ramp. so it curves from the ground all the way to the end of the ramp. but instead of making multiple center supports i was going to cut a full side piece with curve and all, then trace it so i have the other side. then use some 2x2 boards to go across and support the curved side. simple and light. 1/4 plywood all the way around, one sheet will work if i make it small enough. but its still a good size ramp even.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    best thing to do is just experiment on what works for you.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    the bottom link is kind of more what i was thinking. but instead of doing a curved bottom section with a strait top, i was thinking a fully curved ramp. so it curves from the ground all the way to the end of the ramp. but instead of making multiple center supports i was going to cut a full side piece with curve and all, then trace it so i have the other side. then use some 2x2 boards to go across and support the curved side. simple and light. 1/4 plywood all the way around, one sheet will work if i make it small enough. but its still a good size ramp even.
    Yeah a straight top is a little useless. You could always go find a skate ramp in walmart and trace the outline on some paper. I highly doubt anyone would even look your way.
    I love this picture. So i guess thats the kinda air a small skate ramp would give.

i think the angle is pretty much perfect on those, i would just make it bigger is all.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Just wanted to post my ramp that i just updated yesterday.
    The dimensions of the ramp are 45x32x18 (Length*Width*Height). The board i used is a 48" (4') x 32"

NOW UPDATED

RC Champion
    Your ramps looks good. Video?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Here's a ramp I built for nothing out of stuff I had laying around. If you want the perfect curve without having to build the curved structure first, find one of these old stackable office chairs:

You can Find em all over for free cuz people chuck em out all the time. I had a couple sitting in my basement. Rip the back and seat off and remove the material and you'll find 2 identically, and perfectly curved pieces of wood. Dowel them together in the middle with a drill bit and pieces of wooden rod, then cut two plywood wedges using the curved piece of wood to trace the matching curve on the plywood. Support the back with whatever wood you can find and screw down and there you have it. Lol. Took me like an hour to build and is one of the funnest ramps I've built for my p2de. I even took the front plastic off an old bar sign to line the front to make it smooth and also look better. Screw a handle to the back for easy transport.

It yields some pretty good air too!*

I helped build a huge indoor skatepark many years back and have built several vert ramps since, so I know how costly and time consuming they can be. I have no budget issues and can easily go out and buy wood or a ready made ramp, but why when I can do it for free with stuff that's gonna get tossed anyways? Besides, I spend enough money replacing the parts I break on these ramps, so it seems more reasonable to me, that the ramp be made for free!

Here's some vids of it getting some use with my 7.3lb Hot-Racing P2de XL on 3s lipo:

Also, piled up gravel is one of the sweetest launches you can find cuz it's fully customizable and the angle, slope and height can be modified at any time to suit your needs. Here's a vid of one I came across at work:

Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    Your ramps looks good. Video?
    [

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    @anr2442, that ramp works awesome! Mine is more for height than it is for distance, but your ramp seems to have a great balance of both. Nice work. Guess I better get started on one like that.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Those ramp vids look great. So I'll post one myself.