Do you baby your rc car?

I love my slash. you could say that i baby it alot. I never flip it so the body won't get stratched, i lube EVERY moving part with wd-40, i put ammor all on the tires and ever black thing on it, i've waxed the body sheel with car wax,(It came out great) and i never jump it to high to prevent the bottom from getting chewed up. What do you do to baby your rc car?

RC Qualifier
    I do, but I never put WD-40 on it, because it is petroleum based. That means it will erode plastic, but I haven't clarified it yet.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    I don't. I beat the tar out of mine and have a really good time!
    You just have to know how to bash em' correctly without breaking anything!

RC Racer
    Baby it? No way How is that any fun?

Do a few upgrades for added durability and get some thicker RPM skid plates if you are worried about scratching the bottom and you have little to worry about.

RC Racer
    They call it bashing for a reason!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wouldn't say I baby it.... but I certainly drive in a smooth manner.

The XO and the ERBE have both gone about 4 charge cycles without a broken part... The Slash hasn't been so lucky, but its working a lot harder...

Last edited by ducati777; 03-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.

RC Champion
    with a new RC i cringe if it flips the first couple of times. but after that it's all or nothing. lol
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Don't baby it, that's no fun! These things are meant to be beaten! I feel like fixing broken stuff is half the fun
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Champion
    Im half and half. Now that I have the ANZA chassis I will be easier on it though.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    I baby mine...... when the tyranny is squeallin like a pig and she creeps.

I use it. A lot of full throttle from dead stops, mud, submergine, pushing and pulling things, leaving rubber behind.

I also clean it oil it and grease it.

I work landscaping in Florida so I pay for damages myself.

I also run proline MT bodies for durability and protection as well as 1/8 film chassis.
    Sent from my LG-P509
    People Eating Tasty Animals

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I cant baby them, but drive them much better than I used to. That goes a long way. A friend of mine got a fully stock slash 4x4 around 2 years ago. He drives it every day in his yard, jumps it, and the only thing he has broken so far was a shock rod end. That crushed him lol! I mean he was really upset. I sat down and discussed it with him. After realizing that he had this thing in the air over 1000 times, he calmed down. He is right up there with the op on his "car care"
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Do you want a trophy wife or do you want to get down n dirty? They make spare/replacement parts for a reason. Drive 'er like she's a wild woman who can't get enough. Lol
    Last edited by DonnyNitro; 03-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    P4d4 & Sl4sh

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanders337 View Post
    Don't baby it, that's no fun! These things are meant to be beaten! I feel like fixing broken stuff is half the fun
    My thoughts exactly. Tweaking it, taking things apart, fixing it, that's part of the fun of the hobby. You just don't want to break too much or anything too expensive...your wallet isn't quite as happy with the hit it takes.

I see your point on how fun it is to bash'n smash around in my slash, but when i do it, i do it in graas to prevent scratches.
    For some people nails on chalkboard really bother them, for me it's MY STUFF getting beat up and "old" and used looking.
    Call it what you may, but for me half of the fun TO ME is cleaning my slash to it looks BRAND SPANKING new after every run. As for using the wd-40 on the plastic, in the manuel it says to wash every part down after a wet run to prevent rust. I know i know, that's only for the metal parts, but traxxas knows you can't keep ALL of the wd-40 off of the plastic parts so they won't melt or tarnish. I've even spilled Goof off on my car (long story) and it didn't melt any parts on my slash.
    For most people RC cars are about breaking and modifying parts and repairing things, but i LOVE keeping my car clean while doing all of that. (not including breaking parts) And besides, i'm only 15. I can't break parts and then replace them willy nilly. I only get about $5-10$ a month so that might be why i baby my rc car so i don't have to spend money... LOL who knows why, but i just enjoy making my slash look and run like new.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Depends on the car. My Ultra GTP2E gets babied... my LCG slash does also, but my summit and pede NO.... they get bashed. Bascially, if I run it on road, I baby it to a point. No jumping, trying not to crash or flip it. I drive them hard but not abuse them.

My off road trucks, they get run till they break then get upgraded.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    My son broke his 2wd at the track so I bought my 4x4 and the parts to fix his car so that he could play with my new car while I fixed his. 15 minutes later he brought it back with a crack in the body and scratches everywhere so babying it has never been a option.
    WD40 will attract dirt and allow it to turn into a abrasive, I would steer clear of it.
    With your budget you are probably doing the best thing.

RC Qualifier
    I started with babying my slash but after a few flips that went out the window. Taking it to the track really takes its toll on the chassis from bottoming out and the body from flipping.

I am somewhat more carefull with my Emaxx but I think I'm like pavementsurfer in that it's my on road car.

Now the Summits get used but I try to be carefull with the drivetrain.

Now everything is out the window if I let someone else drive any of my cars. People just look at them as toys.

RC Competitor
    ...I've had several RCs that has gotten broken parts after racing around our track beside our house (Kyosho MP7.5 Kanai II, 2WD stampede, nitro RC10GT, etc). I fixed those broken parts, but I think broken parts are inevitable if you do put your RCs to good use...Since then, I've sold the 2 Stampedes, and the nitro RC10GT...I now have 2 5807 Slashes that I'll be racing...

I baby mine like not doing jumps or really high speed runs. i dont let kids play with mine only people that i know will replace the part they break just in case as its not cheap to replace broken parts when someone else does it. my Merv and Pede get baby when running but not on cleaning though as they use to when i first got them, my merv is like most orange and my pede has alot of pollon on the wheels and tranny.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    I beat the living poop out of mine

RC Qualifier
    my body has holes allready thru it after the first day of use

RC Racer
    I like your style Snake Eater. You drive like me, lol. Vid #2 5:35 is great.

RC Competitor
    ...98 Snake Eater, great bashing vids, but I think you are in need of a new body...

RC Champion
    Snake........that is some serious power and fun! So now I need to save up for 4s and 2400kv LOL

Your dog looked bored, maybe you need to try 6s Nice video work and man that Slash held up to a good beating!

On the topic of how I run my Slash.........I don't mind running it hard but I don't beat it, I do like to run off road and I do keep it clean!

RC poster
    After I flipped mine and watched it slide down the street upside down I knew it was not meant to stay pretty...that was on it's first run!!!

RC Competitor
    I baby my cars for the first few minutes, get the feel of the truck then i run it til something breaks. Just over the weekend i broke both lower links for the rear shocks. One broke durring practice the day before the race, the othe broke 3 laps in on thhe first qualifier. Then broke a tie rod end half way through second qualifier. Then blow out the rear beraings durring the main. But hey it only took countless rolls, tumbles, and landing wheels up to break it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    I beat the living poop out of mine

What the heck setup are you using in this thing??? It's fast... Would love to know. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodgrafics29 View Post
    What the heck setup are you using in this thing??? It's fast... Would love to know. Thanks!
    The Thrash Videos are stock VXL, but I'm currently running an MMP SCT 2400kv on 4S and 26p/50s gearing

Clocked it at 82.3mph (GPS) using a 25T pinion, but didn't get a chance to clock it with the 26T yet....

Hoping to break 85 on a fresh set of rubber

RC Champion
    I purchased my Slash with the sole purpose of abusing it. I run with a group on saturday nights that all we do is beat the heck out of the slashes during the winter. Changed all the questionable parts to RPM, thru in a mamba max 5700 and the rest is history. If we finish the night and something isn't broken, you didn't have fun.. my Rustler is babied not my Slash.. Honestly, I never really liked the Slash, I don't race it but I have to admit, Its one very tough truck. Head on accidents and smashing into curbs at 40+ and nothing but a few bent hinge pins.. Can't beat that. Yes its growing on my... But its just my basher...LOL
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Man Wolf, your missing all the fun. lol I beat mine pretty good. the fun of trashing your body is getting a new clear one and giving it a new paintjob, pick up some new parts that are torn up like the bumpers and skidplates, and new wheels and tires, BOOM looks brand new haha. just something about watching it flips end over end down the road is great hahaah.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Competitor
    ...I may be considered babying my 2 5807s because I still use MiMH...I had a chance to purchase some 2S and 3S LiPos, but I just didn't feel like converting for now. I'll more than likely do so in the near future...what is interesting is that I bid, watch, re-bid on NiMH batteries on eBay, and there are so many buying them, can't even put a number to how many buyers. Apparently, tons of people still run NiMH, judging from the data I get from eBay auctions of NiMH...

RC Enthusiast
    i dont baby mine at all i run 10 nimh cells on the mamba monster with a cms36 4600kv 16\90 and it goes wicked fast and i have rolled it about 15 times today alone with no body, thank goodness for the aluminum bumper

my batteries are the 6 cell 3000mah reedy wolf packs and a custom 4 cell wired in series

Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    The Thrash Videos are stock VXL, but I'm currently running an MMP SCT 2400kv on 4S and 26p/50s gearing

Clocked it at 82.3mph (GPS) using a 25T pinion, but didn't get a chance to clock it with the 26T yet....

Hoping to break 85 on a fresh set of rubber

Is the 4x4 Slash faster than a 2x4?

And no I don't baby anything but my ERBE
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    off road- yes, due to all 4 tires pulling
    on road- no, they are they are the same on a roll but from a stop the 4x4 pulls off of the line faster.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Baby my truck...lol
    My vids are here
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...pix-xlmt-style
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!