RC Champion

lipo on brushed motor

i got my son his new slash and wasnt to concerned about the speed so much cause he is still learning control but i wanted a little more run time. would it be safe to run a 2s on a brushed? im sure run time would be longer and a little more speed but i dont want to do that if its to much for the 12t brushed motor.

RC Qualifier
    It should be fine, does the ESC have a black background around the Traxxas logo?
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    not sure. i dont rember.

RC Champion
    Make sure it's the new blue esc that has lvc. Then you're good to go.

RC Qualifier
    If it has a white background around the Traxxas logo, it is not safe to use. Make sure you know how to use LVD. Refer to your manual.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Just my 2 cents worth, but the extra current that the lipos can provide ten to shorten the life of the brushed slash motor. I have gone through 2 brushed motors that way.....Just sayin......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is not the LiPo pack that shortens a burshed motor life, but rather the longer runtimes and related motor heat that is damaging.

RC Champion
    well thx for the input. at least if the motor takes a crap they are only not even 20 bucks new. lol. once he goes through a few brushed motors then i think he will be ready for brushless.

RC poster
    Did you look into a Lifepo4 Battery? I have my grandson using one on a brushed motor. It has a lower voltage then a lipo battery, you don't have to worry about draining it too far down, and it has a long run time.

RC Champion
    i never heard of it. my sons slash does have lvd and i know how to use it too.

RC Qualifier
    You should be fine , I bashed mine on a 5400 2s for months, just watch temps on motor from long running or if geared hi and running on grass . might smoke the motor after couple runs then the 20 bucks doesnt look so good after making 3 trips for same motor in a week lol .

depending on his age though , I would run the xl-5 on nihm till it dies out .. In the meantime save a little on the side every week and get a vxl system <picked up one localy for 70 bucks motor & esc> and lipo battery and just set it to trainer mode for him and when he ready **** have brushless .